The 2017 MBP 15" I'd like

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turbineseaplane, May 19, 2017.

1. turbineseaplane, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

With all this talk of upcoming spec bumps, it got me to thinking what would be my ideal 2017 15" MacBook Pro.

I'm curious if anyone else has a desire for one like this?

• iGPU only
    • No TouchBar
    • I'd probably get a 1TB, but maybe 2TB
    • Edit - added - I'd really like the Magic Keyboard on the MBP's
    I'm sort of thinking going the eGPU route at a desk + larger screen for when I do Final Cut stuff, but the rest of the time I'd like the most battery life and screen size I can get without toting around things I won't use on the go (like dGPU).

Anyone else in that sort of situation?

2. entropi macrumors 6502

Yep, sounds perfect to me! No energywasting dGPU (which will only break after a couple of years) and no TouchBar. 2TB of fast storage and a quadcore CPU suits my musicmaking needs.

3. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

I suspect, to make them cheaper, especially the base 15 inch, they will likely offer an integrated GPU.

4. gifo macrumors regular

my dream too, even if they're going to put it in the "old" retina mbp chassis.
    BTW i don't think the iGPU would be powerful enough to drive 2x5k displays, so i don't think we will ever see a 2017 mbp without a dGPU.

5. JMacHack macrumors 6502

iGPU-only sounds like a step backward, I'd at least like to see Nvidia dGPUs
    A no-touchbar option would be good for people who don't want it, I agree. Personally, now that Iv'e gotten used to it, I miss it on my Mac Pro.
    More storage is always a plus.

Personally, I'd like to see a "thick" version that has 8 USB-C ports (standing on end to be closer together), a LOT of cooling to feed more powerful desktop-class components, DDR4 RAM (replaceable now that they would have room for a standard connector), two to four m.2 SSD slots, and use any room they can to fit a battery to provide at least 6+ hours of battery life.

This absolutely goes against the "thinness" mantra that apple has right now, and I know I certainly wouldn't buy one, but I'd like to see it just to shut up the people who keep saying the new MBP isn't powerful enough for them.

6. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Never know - The current 13's are iGPU only and can drive one 5k or two 4k's.
    It's pretty possible an iGPU could do two 5k's at some point.

Me personally, I'd argue just driving one 5k external is enough on an iGPU model anyhow.

Man I wish Apple would get onboard with official eGPU support.
    There are WORLDS of possibilities there and they could make the MBP's even thinner!!!

Jony Ive start your salivating!

7. gifo, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

gifo macrumors regular

ark-intel-i7-7920hq
    max video out resolution: 4096x2304@60Hz

and for ddr4: i don't think is going to happen anytime soon.
    ATM mbp2016 has LPDDR3, kabylake does not support DDR4 counterpart for this kind of ram (and they still don't exist as far as I know). speed bump for the rams and up to 32gb could become an option anyway

8. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Out of curiosity - "no Touch Bar" to reduce price, or do you prefer the function keys? I ask because this "No Touch Bar" comes a lot everywhere, and I just can't understand it. It has become a useful part of my workflow - but I could live without it if the price was substantially better.

9. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Ugh - Is that the only option for Kaby Lake on a 15" MBP?
    Yuck

10. gifo macrumors regular

yup, top of the line kabylake.

11. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Like I said - I'd LOVE to have a dGPU!

/s
    :D

12. gifo macrumors regular

I'd LOVE to have a RELIABLE/FUTUREPROOF dGPU
    FTFY.

13. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

No Touch Bar = I will gladly pay more just to get rid of that gimmick (at least to me).
    And as a developer, I really find no use for it at all. Ruins my workflow. I have returned my MBP16 mostly because of TB, and I really don't plan on purchasing any MBP that has TB :)

14. leman macrumors G3

The thing is that iGPU versions are not cheaper. Check intel pricing. The second thing is that intel has abandoned high-end iGPUs, save for dual-core market.

A potential solution could be an AMD CPU paired with an integrated Vega core, as announced by AMD the other day.

15. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

What would that mean for the Thunderbolt situation though?

16. leman macrumors G3

No idea, I'm afraid I didn't inform myself that much about the available solutions. But I doubt that Apple switches to AMD anyway, as long as Intel has a performance advantage. What i think is more likely is AMD making a custom sun 40W Vega chip for Apple (I wouldn't bet any money on it though :) )

17. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Your workflow depends on function keys?

Sigh. I find it a bit sad, really - not criticizing or anything - but people really seem to dislike something I find very useful, and that may mean that developers won't invest enough time into it, or that Apple won't spread it across the entire line.

With Better Touch Tool, you can literally write scripts that activate, or sequences of actions, you can have multiple customized things happen at a press of a button, then you can sort all those tools into sub-menus that appear when you need them (for example, I can just press a button, see my favorite Actions in Photoshop and activate them without that Photoshop panel taking up a fith of my screen) - and have all that available at your fingertips.... And people prefer function keys to that? (and you can still have those function keys if you want them).

I.... am not trying to be dismissive, but I am trying to understand. Sorry if this sounded wrong.

18. leman macrumors G3

Given that function keys are not part of Apple's human interface guidelines and are not (or at least should not be) used by any native OS X app, I find it a bit surprising how TB can ruin your workflow. Given that function keys are absolutely pointless on OS X, the touch bar is a definite improvement, because it has at least situational utility ;)

19. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

Instead of removing the touchbar, if they added taptic feedback it'd improve the experience vastly.

20. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Nope. But it does on ESC key. Yes, I know, I can have it all the time. But not the same.
    But likewise, no ones workflow depends on TB as well :)

Well, everything is like that. Things I like, someone else doesn't. We are all different. I find that to be a nice thing.

Well, I have that already. I even had that on Windows 98. And I had it on OSX SL, and have it on macOS Sierra. I write and use scripts that activate or deactivate a lot of stuff. I just tend to use keyboard shortcuts. No need for looking down on keyboard (TB), muscle memory does all the stuff without me even paying much attention to it.
    And having real function keys vs virtual ones is not the same. If it were, we wouldn't have touch bar on mbp. We would have a virtual keyboard.

Why would your opinion sound wrong? You just have different use case scenario then me. But I have to point out, that I am a developer. And I really hate TB (strong word I know, but that is how I feel about it). And the funny thing is, I literally know just two guys that love it. About 100+ hate it almost as much as I do.

I am talking about my work environment. Most of us stick with 2013/14/15 MBP, some have switched to 2016 version, but most of them have TB disabled. It just shows the function keys. Just two of them use TB, and both of them aren't programmers or designers :)

Apples guidelines ≠ everyones guidelines. I use function keys combined with keyboard maestro, and application called Breeze. Function keys are use as shortcuts for me, and I am really found of ESC key compared to that virtual one.

And like I already said, I can use function keys without looking at keyboard. I can't use TB without looking at it. Big difference to me.

21. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Great post above…

I really hope we can get the Touch Bar to be optional across-the-board

22. biffysix macrumors newbie

I want a budget basic 15" Macbook pro ....

23. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I do still hope that they will make a larger MacBook that might also fill the need for those of us that want light, thin, large screen and acceptable levels of power

24. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I don't look at it, once I memorized where are the things that I use. And I kinda disagree - but I understand what you're saying. Thanks for a very nice explanation.

25. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

An additional issue is that a physical key can be "found" and even "rested on" before actuation. A touch button, as on the TouchBar, means activation before any other mental cues are registered. It can lead to a lot of unintended actions if trying to go purely by feel.