The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So, the Manchester duo quite boringly wiped the floor with their lower division FA Cup opponents. A morale-boosting win for OGS, but "Magic of the Cup", eh?

Liverpool, on the other hand, have scored but (as in so many of their recent matches) they have not translated their dominance into a hatful of goals. Shrewsbury have worked their way into the match - they've created two or three good chances and it really should be 1-1.

Curtis Jones with another goal though, I see a bright future for him.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So, the Manchester duo quite boringly wiped the floor with their lower division FA Cup opponents. A morale-boosting win for OGS, but "Magic of the Cup", eh?

Liverpool, on the other hand, have scored but (as in so many of their recent matches) they have not translated their dominance into a hatful of goals. Shrewsbury have worked their way into the match - they've created two or three good chances and it really should be 1-1.

Curtis Jones with another goal though, I see a bright future for him.
Liverpool have made a lot of changes. Probably wanting to rest their stars so they are fresh to face West Ham. They should have done it the other way round. Play the kids against us. We were awful yesterday. Watched the highlights this morning. Our defence didn’t have a clue. Just standing off and not tackling. Terrible.

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool have made a lot of changes. Probably wanting to rest their stars so they are fresh to face West Ham. They should have done it the other way round. Play the kids against us. We were awful yesterday. Watched the highlights this morning. Our defence didn’t have a clue. Just standing off and not tackling. Terrible.
It's like watching an alternate-reality Liverpool team, and one that is more Klopp 1.0 - exciting to watch but more open at the back and less able to control matches.

2-2. Shrewsbury got lucky with an outside-the-box penalty call but probably deserve the draw at the moment. Replay? Or will they strike again and knock Liverpool out? Liverpool B have far more talent but Shrewsbury are the better team unit, are at home, and have nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at this match.

Klopp throws Mo Salah on.

EDIT: Shrewsbury win a replay. VAR would have nullified Shrewsbury's penalty but possibly also given them one subsequently. Fair play to the Shrews, I assume they will face another B squad next time at Anfield.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's like watching an alternate-reality Liverpool team, and one that is more Klopp 1.0 - exciting to watch but more open at the back and less able to control matches.

2-2. Shrewsbury got lucky with an outside-the-box penalty call but probably deserve the draw at the moment. Replay? Or will they strike again and knock Liverpool out? Liverpool B have far more talent but Shrewsbury are the better team unit, are at home, and have nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at this match.

Klopp throws Mo Salah on.

EDIT: Shrewsbury win a replay. VAR would have nullified Shrewsbury's penalty but possibly also given them one subsequently. Fair play to the Shrews, I assume they will face another B squad next time at Anfield.
A nice pay day for Shrewsbury. Another fixture Liverpool could do with out.
But isn’t that the magic of the FA cup?
- - Post merged: - -

The way things have been going with Man U, I will take the victory at Tranmere.
I’m sure you will! A good cup run would give the team a boost.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A nice pay day for Shrewsbury. Another fixture Liverpool could do with out.
But isn’t that the magic of the FA cup?
I very much wanted to see a win, but from a neutral's point of view I would much rather see the "big" teams put out B squads that showcase youth prospects and give lower-league teams a chance for glory, as Klopp did today, rather than see them put out a strong team and stomp their opponents, as Man Utd and Man City have.

So yeah, from a purely biased perspective this is not ideal for Liverpool, but if you are a neutral and/or care about the FA Cup as an institution, this was a far better "product" than watching a lopsided blowout.

In terms of positives for Liverpool, the young players are getting valuable minutes against tough opposition, and in partnership with a sprinkling of first-team players. It also provides most of the first team with badly needed rest. If Liverpool weren't doing so well in the league this result would be annoying, but it was an exciting match and I think Klopp is right to continue putting faith in the B squad for cup matches.

EDIT: I do see a lot of criticisms being thrown at Lovren and Matip today, Lovren in particular. He looks a lot worse without Van Dijk next to him, but in all fairness neither Lovren nor Matip are match fit and they are just coming back from injuries. Had both been in top form Liverpool would probably have won today. I'd rather have them look rusty in the cup against Shrewsbury than anywhere else (like, say, a CL knockout match), and they needed the minutes. Gomez has the second center back slot locked down at the moment, so these two won't be playing in the league any time soon, barring injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple fanboy

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Eriksen is now an Inter player as rumored. Spurs are bringing in a young winger from the PSV (Bergwijn) and of course they have Lo Celso, but overall they are looking a little weaker.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man Utd are 1-0 up in their cup match against Man City, still down 2-3 on aggregate though. City fans are restless...surely Pep's boys won't choke here?

Really could do with a moral boosting win tonight against Liverpool.
Don’t fancy our chances though. All Liverpool position so far. At least Fabanski is back.
1-0 Liverpool so far after a 35th minute penalty against Diop. The Hammers have looked pretty solid, and Liverpool are not at their best today. Still a tight match.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Man Utd are 1-0 up in their cup match against Man City, still down 2-3 on aggregate though. City fans are restless...surely Pep's boys won't choke here?

1-0 Liverpool so far after a 35th minute penalty against Diop. The Hammers have looked pretty solid, and Liverpool are not at their best today. Still a tight match.
To be fair sounds like we’ve done okay. Playing a 19 year old debut kid tonight sounded like a terrible idea. But hasn’t been out of place. I think Fabanski back between the sticks has helped the confidence levels.
At least my triple captain bonus on Salah is paying dividends.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
To be fair sounds like we’ve done okay. Playing a 19 year old debut kid tonight sounded like a terrible idea. But hasn’t been out of place. I think Fabanski back between the sticks has helped the confidence levels.
At least my triple captain bonus on Salah is paying dividends.
West Ham's problem is that their 5-4-1 has not yet provided enough in the way of attack. They are defending OK but they need to score at last once if they are going to get anything from this match. Liverpool have not been scoring freely lately and this could be a 1-1 or 2-2 draw...but only if West Ham find a goal or two.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
West Ham's problem is that their 5-4-1 has not yet provided enough in the way of attack. They are defending OK but they need to score at last once if they are going to get anything from this match. Liverpool have not been scoring freely lately and this could be a 1-1 or 2-2 draw...but only if West Ham find a goal or two.
I think you’re safe!

Game over me thinks.

At least I won’t be so grumpy and throw flares at the directors house!

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It was a lightning fast counterattack from Liverpool right after West Ham had fashioned a decent chance.

Meanwhile, things are very edgy at the Etihad. Man City should have scored by now, but they are not quite clicking. Man Utd are just a goal away from making things very interesting.

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Ed Woodward finally got the Bruno Fernandes transfer over the line. If he can keep Jesse Lingard firmly planted to the bench from here on out, it's a big win.

Another tough match against Wolves tomorrow, with the squad depleted even more due to Matic being suspended. Would love to see James Garner get a run in midfield, despite his Wikipedia page earlier this week stating he was sold to Barcelona and wearing number 10. 🤣

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Stalemate for Wolves, Man Utd, Chelsea, and Leicester...Sheffield United are now in fifth and the fight for fourth/European spots is pretty tight. Leicester have Wolves and Man City coming up next, so they might rue the two points dropped today.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Sheff Utd continues to impress. Their keeper looks a bit special. Loan him out one more season, or cash in on De Gea this summer and bring Henderson back? The stakes are higher in Manchester than they are in Sheffield, but he's already one of the best and most consistent keepers in the league.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man City with an extraordinary exhibition in missing chances, and Spurs make them pay. Pep looks to be slipping into late-stage Pep mode. Would winning the CL this year make him more or less likely to stay at City?

Wonderful goal by Steven Bergweijn though, what a debut! Mourinho seemed to be in one of his milder moods, though he did win the match and thus had relatively little to moan about.

Arsenal...perhaps we'd better not comment. 9th and 14th in the table are separated by just two points.