The 24" iMac screen is better than the 23" ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dollystereo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

So the new imac comes with the all new panel h-ips, than the ACD comes with the i-ips. So it has less hue, and better viewing angle.
    Time to update apple Cinema Displays.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=344204

If you want a new monitor Go with the Nec that comes with the H-IPS panel.

2. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Well, as the owner of a 24" iMac, I can only say: "Woot!"

3. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

This post is not entirely true...

#1 the ACD is S-IPS
    #2 the viewing angles are the same (both are 178*)

Yes H-IPS is better than S-IPS but you really didn't list for the correct reasons...

Here are the biggest improvements over S-IPS:
    • Much less backlight bleed.
    • No purple hue visible at an angle (mostly noticed when the screen is black)

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The 24" iMac is sounding pretty good. It's just a shame that they used the panels they did in the 20".

I'm sure the ACD's will get updated at some point in time, but it's not like they're all-of-a-sudden bad monitors. Quite the opposite, they're still fantastic - and, call me a design snob, but they're the only monitors I'd put on a Mac.

5. dollystereo thread starter macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Thanks, but in fact, the Imac has a better panel.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It's coming, don't you worry. Thinner, brighter, glossier, and iSight(ier).

7. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

please. let it be soon.

I want a thinner 30" before I drop another 2k.

Summer 2004 - Fall 2007 is a long time to go without redesigning a product. (I admit they are very nice)

8. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

You know it is a better panel because someone told you so... You don't actually know why... Your just repeating info you heard and don't fully understand it.

This post right here proves you don't actually know what you are talking about... It is quite clear you don't know the differences between H-IPS and S-IPS.

If you read my post you would see it says:

"Yes H-IPS is better than S-IPS but you really didn't list for the correct reasons..."

The new iMac has H-IPS the ACD has S-IPS...

That means I KNOW the iMac has a better display...

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I am glad we are all good at reading wikipedia!

Backlight can be decreased by the panel, however, backlight is still a function of manufacturing. And Apple's QC hasn't been the best with displays. Also, a panel is not what makes a display good or bad. There is much more that goes into it. I would still think the ACD performs better than the iMac because it is using better electronics than the iMac.

The ACD will move to 24" soon as the 23" panel is a dying breed. At which point the ACD will leave the iMac behind. Hopefully Apple makes the ACDs even better for pros at competitive prices.

P.S. This thread reminds me of that other thread where the person had a factual title that wasn't supported by evidence but no one really questioned it. Cool.

10. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I prefer the ACD's because they aren't glossy... glare is retarded.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Glossier? Ugh!
    Brighter? I don't wanna look at a friggin' light bulb!

*sigh* I guess I'm just in a complaining mood tonight.

12. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Also, anyone who actually needs an ACD because they need if for serious artwork can tell you that a glossy screen is a non-starter. If Apple tried to replace the ACD's with glossy versions, people would simply not buy them. So while the actual display unit might have advantages, the iMac itself is not a machine that a high end user will ever buy.

Apple would have to put the part in a non-glossy display which would likely look very similar to the ACD.

13. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Lol, The funny thing is everything on wikipedia under TFT LCD about H-IPS was written by me.

You little wanker. :D :D

Sun, lets play nice okay... I think we should be friends today :)

14. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Yup It is very true that professionals would probably prefer the matte display.

iMac is not so much designed for the Pros as the ACD/Mac Pro combo is...

Like you said I don't see the ACD's going glossy

15. dollystereo thread starter macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

JAJAJA, you are fourios, Too much coffe man...

16. dollystereo thread starter macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Yea I currently have a 23' ACD and a 20' acd. They are incredible panels, I use them for FCP. I use the ACD 23' as a cheap color correction tool. (Connected via a D-box and a Aja Kona 3 card).
    I will like to see a new 24" ACD with H-IPS panel.

17. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Not meaning t hijack the thread, but just out of curiosity, do you speak spanish? Because laughing in spanish is normally spelt like that...

18. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

JAJAJA... Okay.... :cool:

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

My 24" iMac screen (white iMac) is the nicest screen I've ever seen. No dead pixels, 179.9999 degree viewing angle, super good contrast and color, and super bright. I love it!

20. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I bloody hope they don't make the ACD's glossy, and I will definately be pissed if they try to force it on us like the iMac's with no option.

It's just goes against the whole point of the ACD product line. Never though I'd say this, but please Apple, don't do something stupid!

21. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That's reason #1 I bought myself one yesterday :D

I love the viewing angle. The 20" is so nice. My girlfriend has the 'old' 24" iMac and it's amazing. My MacBook's glossy screen actually is starting to **** me off because in the office at work the lights in the ceiling always seem to reflect onto it where ever I am.

Might this get edited? :rolleyes:

22. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Like it or not, I'm pretty sure Apple will include glossy as at least an option on the ACDs. I think people who first use glossy displays with an open mind, will train themselves to ignore the glare and really appreciate the better contrast. I think Macworld worded it best saying it's more of a personal preference than a design flaw. As for brightness, you do realise you can control it manually right? :)

23. pimmie macrumors newbie

I have both

In fact, I have a new 24" iMac with a new 23" ACD attached. Guess which is the better screen? The ACD.
    The iMac has noticable dark edges and more backlight bleed than the ACD. I truly hate the gloss and I really hope a 3rd party comes with a good solution for it soon (now that we know the glass is only held in place with magnets, it's an easy replacement, if you have the tools...).
    In favor of the glossy screen, I do have to admit that I do now see the effect of the anti-glare coating on the ACD (not as sharp, and a sort of diffuse pattern in solid colored areas). The so called 'richer' black of a glossy screen is not really noticable. Both screens are hardware-calibrated to the same whitepoint and brightness.