The 25 Greatest animated movies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Josias, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Hey all, I just made this in Quark. Please comment on the layout or the list ifself :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ffd7f4

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/347174257/Top_25.pdf

It takes two clicks and ≈90 secs to download from either link. I've already posted it on another message board, and it only got cynical replies with "CBA to DL, k?", so please don't reply if all you're going to say is that you won't download it. A large part of the point is the presentation ;)

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Agreed. The Lion King is the top of that list.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

CBA to dl, k?

Ha, just kidding. While I don't agree with a couple of those (South Park better than The Incredibles??? In fact The Incredibles isn't even on the list?) I agree Lion King is on the top of that list.

If you're looking for feedback on the layout, it's real nice. But what are you doing this for, exactly?

Note that there's a possibly NSFW picture in there.

4. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Thanks! :)

I just got Quark 8, and wanted to try it out with something quick. It's actually a lot easier to use than 7 (and 4, christ, that was not intuitive), and the interface looks better.

I wanted to put The Incredibles on there, but it just didn't make the final cut :p I don't feel like Brad Bird isn't recognized, seeing as he has a movie in the top 5.

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Good job! Nice layout. I'd like to see a cover, though.

I pretty much agree with the list.

Very good.

6. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Thanks dude! Good idea with the cover, gonna add that

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Wall•E is the number one animated film, followed Finding Nemo or Up. I'm not a Pixar fanboy, but they nail excellent animation and couple it with children that are not mouthy smart asses; it helps they have a knack for making an engaging character and good storyline.

Disney, mostly, is just crap. They scrape the bottom of the barrel time and again, making untold sequels of sequels that pretty much all have the same plot.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think I'd make that past tense for the most part. I believe the worm has turned for Disney Animation Studios, mostly because of two massive shifts (and one smaller yet no less significant one), the first being the canning of Michael Eisner and the second being the reorg after the Pixar acquisition. Lastly, Jobs being the largest single shareholder has had an effect, as he was publicly very vocal about his disdain for the drek they were producing, and I'm sure has had no small influence as well. It's true that they had become the poster child for DTV crapola, but I''m hopeful that those days are largely behind them.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

75mb seems pretty big but it does look pretty good.

Personally Princess Mononoke >> Spirited Away.

I'd also put Waltz with Bashir (youtube trailer) up in that list over and above some of the ones there.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Wings of Honneamise beats both of them, even though it's an older anime and not directed by the legendary Miyazaki. I'm surprised that he only list 2 Miyazaki movies.;) I'd place Grave of the Fireflies above most of those on the list, but below WoH.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree their Eisner years were absolutely horrendous. The Princess & The Frog (which I haven't see) shows at least they're not producing stuff like "Little Mermaid VIII: Ariel's Niece's Cousin's Golden Slipper." (Not to mention "Ariel" can be either a gazelle, an antenna, or a stripper... but I digress and make too big a deal over the name :D)

Hopefully Jobs will have an influence (and to his credit he canned planned cheesy Disney-animated spinoffs of Toy Story and Bug's Life).

12. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I wouldn't call Disney crap in general. To me, there are 3 sides of Disney.

1. The genius which is a beautiful piece of art, appealing to all ages (movies from the 90's and 40's for example)
    2. The cute kids stuff, which teaches kids good morals and is well made entertainment, but does not appeal to adults (examples of this is "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas and "Tale Spin")
    3. The rest. Stuff like Jonas Brothers, Home On The Range, Disney XD and all that crap. Walt would cry if he saw this.

Category 1 has produced the best animation ever made, and category 2 has produced some worthwhile childhood memories, and I have no problem with Disney having a side that appeals only to children. Number 3 is utterly despicable, and should be torn down right away. Here's to Steve making the right choice!

I just watched Waltz with Bashir. While moving on certain levels and with some technical capability displayed, I disagree with it being in the top 25.

13. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

90 seconds my arse! Theres a 75mb download hiding after the adverts, waiting and generally annoying download sites.

Sorry no. Is there a text only version you could post here? I'm not wading through all that to see someones opinion of what they think are the Top 25 greatest cartoon films.

15. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

The 75 MB take around 90 seconds do download from Sendspace. If you have a premium RS account, it takes under 20 seconds.

The point is not only the list, but also the presentation. I won't bother explaining what's in there, but you shouldn't download it just to see the list :)

I specifically mentioned that you do not post just to say that you are too impatient to download it. If I wanted to post just the list, I would've done that, but once again, the position of the individual movies is not the only point of the PDF. Henceforth, please stop trolling my thread :)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Okay, now for the rest of the world that doesn't have super fast broadband, 75mb is a big download for something that could likely be represented as text.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

:eek:

Spirited Away is magic. The story was just so much more rich. It's the Japanese equivalent to Alice in Wonderland, but it's better, and is better animated.

18. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Alice In Wonderland is probably the only movie Walt made that wasn't any good. That being said, Spirited Away is absolutely amazing, hence the position I put it in on the list ;)

As to whether it's better than Princess Mononoke is something personal. I think that a lot of Miyazakis work will hit people in a multitude of ways (that's what's so great about it), but I personally prefer Spirited Away.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You are kidding right. If you were to read these forums physical media is dead and downloading high def movies that are gigs in size is the norm! :rolleyes:

What no "Heavy Metal"!!!!!

J/K I am still downloading so I haven't seen the list yet.

20. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I must admit, I've never even heard of that movie! :p I am a pretty big animation fan, and though it sounds like a fun movie, I doubt it would make the list ;) Gonna watch it soon though

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

While I will acknowledge that the presentation of Simba is an iconic scene (I've done this with both my kids), I wouldn't consider it superior to Beauty and the Beast.

As for the presentation itself, while nice, it seems like Quark was overload for what was being presented. It looks great, but the file size overhead compromised the cost/benefit ratio.

22. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I didn't mean that this solo scene made the movie the greatest :p It was just a picture. I think the scenes where Mufasa die or appears in the clouds are the best. "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" and the scene where Simba ascends on Pride Rock at the end are awesome aswell.

I know this is very simple, and I just wanted to test the new UI, so I threw something together quick.

BTW, what do you mean that you've done it with both your kids? Showed them the scene, or hired a monkey to baptise them? :confused:

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Those scenes? Really? The cloud scene was good, but not that good; the wildebeest stampede/death sequence was an awesome display of animation, I will grant that.

I must have misunderstood that it was experimentation - that makes sense for an informal thread.

And I did the presentation thing with the kids. Probably a couple weeks after each was born.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Heavy Metal is a pretty good animated movie, but I wouldn't rank it in the top 25. The Captain Sternn/Hanover Fiste, the stoned aliens and the Taarna portions where the only ones that were any good. The rest was rather meh. The music was good though.:cool:

I like Heavy Metal so much I went to see Heavy Metal 2000. It was gawd awful. An insult to the original Heavy Metal movie and comics.