The 27" has option for SSD + HDD. Does that mean its user upgradable too?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RipcordAFF, May 3, 2011.

1. RipcordAFF macrumors member

The new iMac has an option for a 256gb SSD and a 1tb HDD, with OSX all loaded on the SSD. Assuming i just got the regular HDD now, would installing a second SSD work down the line? Did they create more room in the case for both drives now without sacrificing something like the optical drive?

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i believe you can but its not an easy process to install one .. you have to be comfortable with taking the screen out

3. RipcordAFF thread starter macrumors member

Ah, my mistake. I see this in't a new option and it really isn't possible. OWC says that the bracket for the SSD isn't even installed unless its ordered from the factory... bummer

4. Spy.be macrumors newbie

For the previous iMac, Apple didn't include the SSD enclosure, power cable and SATA cable inside the iMac. So if had to order these parts : LINK to add an SSD. Of course you can do without it but it won't be a clean integration.

The question is : Has Apple include the plastic enclosure inside this new iMac. Personally I don't think so because the screws that fix the SSD on the plastic bracket are on the back side of the piece and not accessible since it's past to the aluminium body (with 2-sides tape).

Here's a usefull link which I used to integrade an SSD (intel 320 160Gb) in my iMac mid 2010 : http://www.twam.info/hardware/apple/installing-additional-ssd-in-mid-2010-27-imac

Hope it's clear.:p

5. Orme macrumors member

In reply to this post and your second post..

I just spoke to a very lovely guy from Apple for a good 20 minutes who really knew what he was talking about. We spoke about the SSD drive. He convinced me into not buying one as he says I don't need it - after analysing my current computer's space and usage.

He said that later down the line if I decide I need one in a few years, I can have one installed by a technician when SSDs become cheaper, standard and more advanced. (Although in a few years I will probably just buy a new iMac again, which will probably be standard as SSD)

So.. according to him yes you can have it taken in for an SSD install by a technician.