The 27" iMacs come with 7200 rpm HDDs by default?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by inspirations365, May 6, 2013.

1. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Hello All,

According to the Ars Technica review of the 2012 iMac, the 27" model has 7200 rpm HDDs standard as opposed the 21" model that has only 5400 rpm drives.

Can anyone verify this? I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the money to go pure SSD (storage space really isn't a concern), or going with a Fusion Drive since it's basically the best of both worlds. However, because the capacities are so large I want to make sure I get a fast drive to go with the SSD.

Can anyone validate the 27" drives are 7200 rpm?

Thanks!

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

They are. All of the standard hard drives for the 27" iMacs are 7200rpm according to Apple's website.
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
    I just ordered a base 27" refurb yesterday. Can't wait for it to get here!

3. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! Now I have to really make a decision between the updated rMBP and the iMac....decisions, decisions...

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Bear in mind it's a lottery as to whether you get a Seagate 7200rpm, or a Western Digital 7200rpm. The Western Digital is significantly slower than the Seagate.

5. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but either would be faster than a 5400 rpm drive? :confused:

6. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Tell me about it!...I have the WD drive in my 3.2 i5 675MX high end iMac 27inch and its slow as $h!T! It literally hangs when starting the computer up and logging in. Takes safari literally minutes to launch after a fresh restart and login...I got the iMac as a free replacement for an old 2009 iMac so I cant complain...but the WD feels SLOW

7. Slled macrumors newbie

When did you purchase yours? Was at Best Buy yesterday and the guys put out a new base model 27" for display and put the other one on the clearance rack. I remember the first one having a Seagate drive in it when I fiddled with it a few weeks ago. The new one they had put out yesterday had a WD drive.

I kinda wondered why they replaced the display. Selling the old display for a whole $50 off, lol. It had so many markings and prints on it.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

If it's that slow, I'd say you have other issues. In any case, splurge a bit and get an SSD + Thunderbolt enclosure. The idea of booting off a spinning disk is just... not a good one. :)

9. ranger052 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

if I were you I will get Fusion Drive.

I have both the retina 15" and the iMac 27" Fusion drive and the fusion drive is as fast as the retina ssd!

Go for fusion