The 288 Pixel Flamewar

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mattstkc, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mattstkc, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

So I realized today that while, yes, it may be disapointing that Apple didn't "upgrade" the screen for iPad 2, that all the hubbub about a "retina" display and the existing display being "bad" or otherwise looked down upon is extremely exaggerated.

The only screen currently "better" than the iPad or iPad 2 is the screen on the Xoom. It is 1280X800 (16:10 AR) and 150 dpi. The iPad is 1024x768 (4:3 AR) and 132 dpi. The only reason it's not technically an HD screen is due to the aspect ratio.

So I realized the entire "iPad 2 display sucks, Xoom is better" flamewar that's been going on since Wednesday is all over 288 pixels and 18dpi. ([edit]or maybe it's 23.2% more pixels, thanks ZilogZ80 :) but still)

Seriously? The only differences in the iPad (1&2) screen and the Xoom screen are due to the aspect ratio.

Can we just put this display nonsense to bed?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let's be frank, no one gave a **** about retina until Apple told you it was important. The iPad screen was truly wonderful and still is to some (me) until retina came along.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Also the actual image quality on the Xoom's screen pales to the iPad.

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If the figures you've quoted are accurate then you need to check your maths. The Xoom would have more than 30% more pixels than the iPad. That is slightly more than 288.:D

5. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

well 23.2% more Pixels exactly lol. Still though, it's all an aspect ratio issue.

Yes they could go to 1280x960 but not without increasing cost probably. This debate is old, I've seen iPad(1) and Xoom in a Best Buy. Xoom might be HD but iPad still looks equally good if not better. Pixels aren't everything