Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
It always amused me when people would make mock ups of what a small SE1 sized would look like with a bezel-less design. They always had a notch that shrunk with the size of the screen. This made no sense as the sensors don't get smaller or larger with screen size.

I have a XR and SE1 as a work phone. The notch on that size phone would look so ridiculous it would be a massive eye sore. It looks more bareable on the bigger screens but on a small screen it would look much much bigger.

For this reason I feel that this is proof apple have managed to shrink the notch down. I think they were waiting for this to be possible to make a smaller phone.

Only time will tell though I guess.

Reactions: snipr125

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Personally, I don’t care if they’re not having ‘shrinks’ one way or the other. The whole ‘notch issue’ was overblown anyway from day one, [but then again I remind myself it’s only on sites like this but others make a big deal about it.] All I could ask for is a compact form factor of a phone that’s comfortable to hold and carry in my pocket. It seems a 5.4 it iPhone will probably serve all my expectations and more.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It’s definitely possible that over time newer sensors are developed that take up less space. Hope we’ll see this later this year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Every credible source has told us the notch will be smaller. I don't think there is any doubt on that part.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

allianz

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
Germany
i think one really good reason would be that there has to be space for signal, battery and stuff...
but i don't have seen any measurements or mockups for a 5,4" iPhone with the 'old' notch width??

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don’t mind the notch, I must be the only one. Mind you I don’t notice it much because of the large screen.
You are not the only one. I don't own any iPhone that has a notch, but it was never a big deal to me. It's not the reason I never bought any iPhone newer than the 6s+.

Reactions: freeagent

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Shrinking or not it’s still there. So what’s the difference
When Apple puts everything under the screen then we’ll talk

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
So much sadness over the notch. Go get an android phone and quit crying already. It’s been with us for 3 years don’t you think it’s time to get over it?

Reactions: Patriks7

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
So much sadness over the notch. Go get an android phone and quit crying already. It’s been with us for 3 years don’t you think it’s time to get over it?

I’m not sure that attempts to dismiss others’ opinion as crying are necessary either.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The notch will be half the size this fall. It will be gone by 2023.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I’m not sure that attempts to dismiss others’ opinion as crying are necessary either.
It wasn’t an attempt, it’s the same voices saying the same thing. So then there’s my voice saying the same thing.. in the end it doesn’t matter what we think.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
It always amused me when people would make mock ups of what a small SE1 sized would look like with a bezel-less design. They always had a notch that shrunk with the size of the screen. This made no sense as the sensors don't get smaller or larger with screen size.

I have a XR and SE1 as a work phone. The notch on that size phone would look so ridiculous it would be a massive eye sore. It looks more bareable on the bigger screens but on a small screen it would look much much bigger.

For this reason I feel that this is proof apple have managed to shrink the notch down. I think they were waiting for this to be possible to make a smaller phone.

Only time will tell though I guess.

That’s not proof. It’s more an observation coupled with an assumption based upon likely probabilities.

Proof would be a confirmed leak, an official presentation or official statement.

Since none of those have transpired, it’s not proof, no matter how much you may wish it so.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The notch will be half the size this fall. It will be gone by 2023.

2023? Where would you even come up with that date? Not that I don’t necessarily think that’s not ‘believable‘, but that’s like me making a prediction by 2025 the Apple Watch will be using a ‘hologram‘ for a display, see my point? Not sure how you derived to 2023. I guess my point is, you’re merely mudslinging based off what?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
2023? Where would you even come up with that date? Not that I don’t necessarily think that’s not ‘believable‘, but that’s like me making a prediction by 2025 the Apple Watch will be using a ‘hologram‘ for a display, see my point? Not sure how you derived to 2023. I guess my point is, you’re merely mudslinging based off what?
I'm judging that based on the pattern of a iPhone redesign we have had every 3 years lately. We will see a redesign this fall. I believe we will see the next redesign in 2023. At which point I expect the notch to be gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.