The 6 is the same price as the 4 was four years ago!

phx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
So many people are complaining that apple could have added 2 GB ram, or a 32gb base model, or a higher mega pixel camera. But can't you see everything that did make it into this phone?

You do realize that the cost of these phones has not moved in 4 years. The iphone 4 and iphone 6 are worlds apart, and have the same retail cost (you could even say the 6 is cheaper as it jumps to 64 and 128 GB).

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Yeah, I think some people don't really appreciate the fact they've been able to keep the price the same.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
So many people are complaining that apple could have added 2 GB ram, or a 32gb base model, or a higher mega pixel camera. But can't you see everything that did make it into this phone?

You do realize that the cost of these phones has not moved in 4 years. The iphone 4 and iphone 6 are worlds apart, and have the same retail cost (you could even say the 6 is cheaper as it jumps to 64 and 128 GB).
I don't think manufacturing costs have increased much. Besides, they're targeting price points. A base model costing higher than $199/299 subsidized would likely lead to much lower sales volume. :rolleyes:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yeah, I think some people don't really appreciate the fact they've been able to keep the price the same.
Very true. The iPhone 6 is one hell of a phone compared to the iPhone 4. 3MP better camera (better camera altogether), 2x the RAM, 2x the processing cores, 2x the GPU performance, x64 bit processing, etc.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Either the 4 was one hell of a ripoff or we are getting one hell of a deal on the 6 :apple:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
You can buy a brand new computer for a lower price, with much better specs than a model from 4 years ago. You can buy a brand new tv, larger screen, better specs, for half the price of a tv the with a smaller screen from 4 years ago. In reality, the price of smartphones should be cheaper than they were 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I bought a Quadra 605 running at 25mhz with an 80mb drive, monitor, mouse and keyboard in 1993 for about $2,500.

The iPhone 6 (Plus) is an amazing deal.

Luckychef28

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Either the 4 was one hell of a ripoff or we are getting one hell of a deal on the 6 :apple:
Apple is well known for charging an extreme premium for their products. While I love my Macbook Pro, there's NO WAY I could justify it's $2600 price tag if it wasn't a wedding present. At best, it's a $1400 laptop.

And as a duel Android and Apple user, I love the simplicity of continuity between my laptop, ipad and 5s. They make using multiple platforms a breeze for work.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You can buy a brand new computer for at a lower price, with much better specs than a model from 4 years ago. You can buy a brand new tv, larger screen, better specs, for half the price of a tv the with a smaller screen from 4 years ago. In reality, the price of smartphones should be cheaper than they were 4 years ago.
False equivalent. TVs and PCs are commodity products now. Smartphones aren't.

----------

Apple is well known for charging an extreme premium for their products. While I love my Macbook Pro, there's NO WAY I could justify is $2600 price tag of it wasn't a wedding present. At best, it's a $1400 laptop.
Yeah, that's pretty much nonsense that has been debunked over and over.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah the iPhone 4 was definitely a rip-off now that we think about it!

The original iPhone was even worse value. Big, slow. no 3G, no Retina display. When the original iPhone came out, it cost more than the iPhone 6! We've been scammed by Apple!

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Umm, they are. We have $100-150 Android smartphones now. :)
Nice non-sequitur.

----------

Yeah the iPhone 4 was definitely a rip-off now that we think about it!

The original iPhone was even worse value. Big, slow. no 3G, no Retina display. It was cost more than the 6!
The original Mac was the worst rip-off of all! No hard drive! No color screen!! Not even a MODEM!!!

Luckychef28

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
[/COLOR]

Yeah, that's pretty much nonsense that has been debunked over and over.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense? I don't know which part you're referring to.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
Nice non-sequitur.
Was still editing the post but accidentally tapped on the submit button. :rolleyes:

It was supposed to say:

Umm, they are. We actually have decent $100-150 Android smartphones now and inexpensive Android and Windows phones have already replaced dumb/feature phones in several markets.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Not bashing. I gave you the specs and price, and you change the subject.
Sure. Because the specs tell the whole story. Good thing the world is so simple.

----------

Was still editing the post but accidentally tapped on the submit button. :rolleyes:

It was supposed to say:

Umm, they are. We actually have decent $100-150 Android smartphones now and inexpensive Android and Windows phones have already replaced dumb/feature phones in several markets.
Cool, but my reply is the same. Smartphones aren't a commodity. TVs and PCs are.

Luckychef28

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
If you don't think you're paying extra for the name you're a fool (sorry, it's true). And I just paid Apple $1000 for a frickin phone.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Sure. Because the specs tell the whole story. Good thing the world is so simple.

----------

Cool, but my reply is the same. Smartphones aren't a commodity. TVs and PCs are.
No, but you combine the specs, with the reviews, and real life use, you get the whole story. Now you may not want to believe the reviews, or the real life use from those on android forums, but just because YOU do not want to believe them, does not make them untrue. I'm buying an iPhone 6 Plus because I wish to stay in the Apple ecosystem, but I'm sure not going to say it's the best phone for the price on the market.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
No, but you combine the specs, with the reviews, and real life use, you get the whole story. Now you may not want to believe the reviews, or the real life use from those on android forums, but just because YOU do not want to believe them, does not make them untrue. I'm buying an iPhone 6 Plus because I wish to stay in the Apple ecosystem, but I'm sure not going to say it's the best phone for the price on the market.
Now you're just making assumptions and attacking them as if they were things I actually thought or said. Bad form.