The 6 Plus is designed to suck more money out of the consumers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToroidalZeus, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

But seriously, it is.

The insane sales number for the iPhone mean, from a business pov, that the selling price is too low. In other words, the loss of sales causes by a price increase would be offset by the additional revenue and overall profits would raise. But Apple can't raise the price of the iPhone without upsetting a lot of people so they are stuck at the price levels they originally released the iPhone 3G at almost 6 years ago; obviously demand is a lot higher now then it was back then.

Enter the 6+. By releasing a brand new model Apple can raise the base model by $100. Then by giving it slightly higher specs they provide a large incentive for buyers to choose the 6+ over the 6. Realistically the cost to make the 6+ is only slightly higher than the 6 so the overall profits will be better.

In short Apple gave 6+ better specs on purpose to push you all to choose it over 6 and it'll increase their bottom line more.

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Yup, just like Samsung has done for years already with their Galaxy Note line ;)

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Do you feel that the iPhone 6 spec are outdated? Some do.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The iPhone has had continued success because people have loved their iPhones. Customer satisfaction has always been good.

But whichever of these two new models I purchase, it will feel like im making a compromise.

I have small hands, so I want the smaller phone. However, taking photos is a massive portion of my usage, and for that I want the better camera.

For the first time, I can't see me being completely satisfied with either, and as a consumer about to spend £600, that is not a good feeling.

5. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

One day people will understand that specs don't mean anything. It's how the OS is integrated with the hardware.
    Try to take a 10 year old desktop, put a linux version on it, it will run like butter. Try to put Windows 7 or 8 on it, it will die in the middle of the installation. That simple. Crappy Android phones need higher specs to run their crappy software. Apple doesn't, similarly with Macs vs. Windows machines.

6. ToroidalZeus thread starter macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Yes, the screen specifically is outdated @ only slightly higher than 720p. I feel overall the 6+ is a much more complete upgrade with the larger battery life, higher resolution, and image stabilization.

That said I played around with a Note 3 and it didn't feel like a cell phone anymore so I'll go with the regular 6.

That is their goal--and point of this thread--make you feel like you are comprising by getting a 6 so you are more inclined to go with a 6+.

7. Zxxv Suspended

No it was made because consumers demanded it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think the consumers are "demanding it", as much as apple sees a sector of business that they've largely missed. The Note series of phones, and larger phablets are quite popular and Apple wants to tap that category.

9. Zxxv Suspended

Thats the same thing. Demand is there. Apple now supply to that demand.:)

10. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Introducing a larger model at a premium price was a smart business decision by Apple, but the GENIUS thing that they did with storage capacity is what will reap them more profits. Sure, they still offer a 16GB model, but think of how many more buyers will choose the 64GB model upsell now because it basically quadruples the storage for $100 more. Whereas with previous generations, a lot of people just bought the base model, I think a higher percentage will upgrade to the 64GB model. And of course, for Apple this is not a $100 difference in cost of materials for the 64GB model, so it's one way to combat a lower profit margin on the overall devices these days.

Genius. And I will be getting the 64GB model, of course. ;)

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think they'll sell a lot more 5s s than they're expecting.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It is not clear if Apple is going to treat the 6 as a true low end, compared to the 6+. This will become more clear when new features are added that are unique to the 6+, without finding a justification in the larger screen only.
    Don't forget that the 5S and the 5C are still sold by Apple. End users have more choices than ever, although many will be offended by the price against the technology used in those products.

13. Zxxv Suspended

I don't know. Tim Cook tweeted he was tweeting from iPhone 6. Didn't say +. Maybe he also has trouble getting a + in his pocket. I doubt he would want a second rate iPhone do you? so no I don't think the 6 and 6 + will be that different to mark one as low end.

14. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Instead of the usual MacRumors mudslinging...

What is the ACTUAL reason the iPhone 6 Plus is $100 expensive?

15. Arran, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think it's a pricing experiment. Confirm whether customers value bigger screens. The extra $100 is the acid test.

16. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

In the UK the 16GB iPhone 6 costs £539; the 6+ is £619. The extra £80 (a 15% premium, as near as makes no difference) gets you...
    * another 20mm of diagonal screen
    * more than double the pixels
    * optical image stabilisation
    * landscape mode
    * significantly improved battery life (as long as you're not driving all those extra pixels)

Don't those add up to a £80/$100/15% premium?

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That's why the latest version of Android runs no slower on a three year old phone than the old version did?

18. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

* another 20mm of diagonal screen - Bigger screen
    * more than double the pixels - Bigger screen
    * optical image stabilisation - Needs the space
    * landscape mode - That's a software feature
    * significantly improved battery life (as long as you're not driving all those extra pixels) - Bigger battery

So basically it's more expensive because it's got a bigger screen - one which has been standard on other phones for 2 years, and is now being left behind in favour of Quad HD - and a bigger battery.

The OIS is debatable because it tends to need more space.

I think Arran is right, it's an acid test. We'll know more when there's a teardown.

19. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

The market says that Apple has "largely missed" an opportunity and they are now realizing it, said market is driven by consumers, thus...consumers demanded it.

20. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I thought it was designed to have a bigger screen.

21. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I wouldn't treat that as evidence at all. Such a choice would presumably be based on Apple's marketing decisions, not on what Cook uses to tweet. :)
    We will be able to judge based on features that will presumably make it on the 6+, rather than on the 6.
    For example, integation with certain accessories to come, or particular OS features.
    So far, although I haven't followed more than 10 minutes of the keynote, iOS 8 seems to go in the direction of evolving to become more 6+ friendly. Schiller said Apple would be going to exploit the larger screen estate available, but hasn't mentioned features for the 6, even though what has been implemented in messages, for example, could have been implemented on the 6 without problems.
    It is not straightforward to anyone what direction they are going to take, but giving more importance to the more expensive device seems natural on their part.