Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Apologies in advance if this thread has already popped up. Please merge or take appropriate actions mods.

Thoughts on returning the 6 for the 6+? I am happy with the six, but twice now I have been to the Apple store to "fondle" the 6+ meticulously and really thinking about it before the return policy expires.

Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I consider it every time I'm in the Apple store and the 6+ ends up in my hand :cool:

Will I? Probably not. I'm pretty content with the iPhone 6 and the size works just fine.

But I have about 9 more days to change my mind...

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I consider it every time I'm in the Apple store and the 6+ ends up in my hand :cool:

Will I? Probably not. I'm pretty content with the iPhone 6 and the size works just fine.

But I have about 9 more days to change my mind...

I am counting those return days too... :rolleyes:

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Apologies in advance if this thread has already popped up. Please merge or take appropriate actions mods.

Thoughts on returning the 6 for the 6+? I am happy with the six, but twice now I have been to the Apple store to "fondle" the 6+ meticulously and really thinking about it before the return policy expires.

Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Too big and too bendy.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
[Having exchanged my 6 Plus for a 6] I got one question to ask you, do you have Shaq hands?

-You have to be 100% aware of how unwieldy the 6 Plus really is. If you plan on making a call for more than a few minutes then your hand will get tired.

-If you TRY to use the phone with one-hand you will get cramps.

-With the 6 it 'just works,' with the 6 Plus you have to think about using it.

For myself and a lot of other people the inconvenience with the 6 Plus far outweighed the pros. I feel the 6 Plus is too big to be a cell phone and too small to be an iPad; it's the worst of both words.

So basically if you want the 6 Plus because you got 3rd standard deviation hands then go for it. But if you want the 6 Plus just cuz, you will end up getting buyers remorse.

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
I'm having the same thought, 6 seems too small for my hands. I'm going try hunting down one, so far no luck.:(

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I can say that after a week plus with my i6p that it is the best piece of tech that I have ever owned. The screen, email app, iMessage, watching videos, reading books/magazines, pictures(my god it takes nice pics), the design, reachability, and gaming is all at the top of the game. I just sold my iPad mini because I don't see a point to it anymore. If apple releases a iPad pro then my macbook will go and I will have my two devices. It did take awhile and some very internal self questioning about the size. I even thought about returning it to the point of driving up to my apple store. Its not for everyone and I understand that. If you are a person who likes walking around coffee in one hand, phone in the other, without a care for anything else that is going on, then its not for you.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
[Having exchanged my 6 Plus for a 6] I got one question to ask you, do you have Shaq hands?

-You have to be 100% aware of how unwieldy the 6 Plus really is. If you plan on making a call for more than a few minutes then your hand will get tired.

For myself and a lot of other people the inconvenience with the 6 Plus far outweighed the pros. I feel the 6 Plus is too big to be a cell phone and too small to be an iPad; it's the worst of both words.

So basically if you want the 6 Plus because you got 3rd standard deviation hands then go for it. But if you want the 6 Plus just cuz, you will end up getting buyers remorse.

I am 5'8" and I was on a call for 30 minutes yesterday, on a plus, hand did not get tired, also I have no problem with one handed usage whatsoever.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I am 5'8" and I was on a call for 30 minutes yesterday, on a plus, hand did not get tired, also I have no problem with one handed usage whatsoever.

Lies.

It's 100% impossible to reach the top of the screen on the 6 Plus holding it with one hand. So basically you have to double tap the home button every 5 seconds to switch songs on pandora or close out a tap in safari, etc.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I currently have both in front of me and can't for the life of me decide. I love the battery life of the plus and the screen but even with my large hands is a bit cumbersome. It feels like you have to commit to using the plus each time it comes out whereas the regular one is spontaneous like before.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Is it really as laggy (the 6+), as some are saying?

----------

I currently have both in front of me and can't for the life of me decide. I love the battery life of the plus and the screen but even with my large hands is a bit cumbersome. It feels like you have to commit to using the plus each time it comes out whereas the regular one is spontaneous like before.

Good point.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Lies.

It's 100% impossible to reach the top of the screen on the 6 Plus holding it with one hand. So basically you have to double tap the home button every 5 seconds to switch songs on pandora or close out a tap in safari, etc.

I have adjusted and can use my one handed. I have to move my hand but I can do it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

You exaggerate. Or are you new to big screen phones?

Feels odd for a couple of days then it becomes second nature.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Is it really as laggy (the 6+), as some are saying?

As laggy as some are saying? No. A little laggy? Yes. It's more 1-2 years down the road that I'm worried about, right now it is fine performance-wise and will no doubt improve a bit in the 8.1 update.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
As laggy as some are saying? No. A little laggy? Yes. It's more 1-2 years down the road that I'm worried about, right now it is fine performance-wise and will no doubt improve a bit in the 8.1 update.

Gotcha.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I have adjusted and can use my one handed. I have to move my hand but I can do it.

Adjusting your grip

-either shuffling the phone up and down your hand
or
-holding it in a way which allows you to reach both the top and button of the screen

increases the odds of dropping the phone tremendously.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Adjusting your grip

-either shuffling the phone up and down your hand
or
-holding it in a way which allows you to reach both the top and button of the screen

increases the odds of dropping the phone tremendously.

I dont shift anything, I just don't hold it at the bottom anymore. Its called adapting and overcoming.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I have the 6 plus. I love the bigger screen, as my eyesight isn't great. I spend a lot of time looking at my phone at night, and the comfort of the bigger screen is what really sold the phone for me. Also, I don't have an iPad right now.

Using it one handed is cumbersome. The double tap to bring the screen down is a great idea-in a pinch. Doing it all the time is just not something anyone is going to want to do.

Lag is minimal, and will likely get better. I wouldn't worry on that.

It's not a good phone to keep in your pocket. Too big and too fragile.

I am guessing that the regular 6 will be a much better phone for casual users. The super large screen is an awesome one, but I think the initial scarcity of the device, along with the novelty of such a LARGE phone is causing a lot of people to want it for the wrong reasons....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.