The $60,000 Question: Which iPad 3G to Buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSingandiDance, Apr 24, 2010.

1. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Friday, I plan to go to the Apple Store and purchase an iPad 3G. The problem is that I don't know which size to get.

My iPod Touch is used mostly for games, with the occasional web-browse. Once in a blue moon, I might put a show or two on there as well.

With the iPad, I plan to fully optimize its usage - movies, games, web-browsing, books, etc. Being so, I've been wrestling with which iPad to get. I have an 8 GB Touch and I'm constantly removing apps and music to make space. I don't want to run into this problem with the iPad. But there is only so many HD movies I can put on there before even the 64 GB has reached its capacity.

Be that as it may, I'm still unsure which size to get. I'm really aiming for a 32 GB, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it. Say I purchase the occasional movie, transfer my 9 GB music library, and purchase a few books. I'm well below that 32 GB and I wouldn't have to sacrifice my music or any apps.

But as time goes by and devs start to really take full advantage of the iPad, I can see myself maxing out at that 32 easily.

So, I guess it really comes down to practicality. Is it more practical for me to buy a 32 GB and not have to worry about removing music, movies, or apps, or should I go with the 16 GB with the understanding that yea, I'll be adding and removing quite often.

But if the 3G offers constant internet access, won't I be better off just streaming video than using precious storage on movies?

Where I could have went with a 64 GB with the Wifi only, maybe I have more leeway and can go with the 32 GB with the 3G because of that streaming option.

Wifi owners and potential 3G owners please chime in.

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

same tough question for me.

It's 'only' $100 more for 64gb over 32gb.

They really thought the price spread through lol

3. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I'm having a similar thought process. I usually buy the biggest capacity possible with an iPod - I have a 64gb touch. My music collection is about 33gb and I also want room for other stuff.

But the iPad is different because I doubt I'll put my music collection on it. But who knows ... maybe I will ...

I do anticipate watching movies on it, so I'm waffling on whether 32gb is enough for movies plus some other stuff. If I want to use it for music, 64gb is definitely the right choice for me.

4. Jinkst macrumors 6502

Jinkst

64gb. It's surprising how quickly the storage gets filled. I have a 64gb and am nowhere near it, but just from music, few movies, apps and photos I'm up to about 40gb. And it's only $100.... We all know the iPad is a luxury, so it's expendable money being spent on it, so chuck on the extra hundred ;)

5. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Let's not forget that a case of some sort (roughly $50) and apps and movies ($10 a pop) will also be purchased. So it isn't "just $100".

6. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

A case and apps have nothing to do with the capacity (at least not much - maybe the apps relate a little).

It's the same with anything you buy. If you buy a laptop, you might also buy Office or CS, and a laptop bag.

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I usually go to my pandora app if I want to listen to music. I currently have a 16 GB wifi iPad, but preordered a 32 GB 3G at that same time. I will be tossing the 16 GB on ebay. Anyways, I have 4 movies, half a season of Metalocalypse, 6 large video podcasts with 3 most recent of each, 800 pictures and 40 or so apps. I think the 32 GB will fit most peoples needs well. The iPad is an extension of my MBP, I don't feel the need to have seasons of shows and lots of movies. If that's something you want though then I would recommend the 64GB.

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

64. Go big or go home.

Honestly though, like others have said you will quickly use the space up. Also, I would always take a movie on storage over a movie streamed over wifi or (eek) AT&T 3G. It's worth the extra money to just not have to worry about it.

10. emaja macrumors 68000

Well, it sounds like you want us to convince you of something that you want to do anyway. How could we answer this for you? It is only $100, but then you reply that there is a case and apps or movies involved. Isn't that the case no matter which iPad you buy?

I got the 32GB since I will not be able to get all of my media on the 664GB anyway. I figure that I could never fill even 32GB with apps and books. So far, so good.

We can spend your money all day - LOL!

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

This was my thought process.

12. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

Get the 64gb, as time goes by the apps are more likely going to be more advanced and take up more memory, so at least with the 64gb you will have a bit more room to work with.

13. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

never the think for the future instead of 64 gb get a freaking laptop, 829 is a huge ripoff...as time goes by apple would release a second generation iPad with camera, and 128 gb and you would regret spending 200 dollars extra for memory...why put 30 gb of music in an ipad when its not like ur gonna constantly listen to music or dock it on ur bose speakers.. Apple surely knows how to market their products and they definitely do have the crazy fanbase to advertise for the rest..its crazy i saw a guy today preordering and ipad 3g 64 gb with 2 accessories, a dock, a case, a keyboard and he paid over 1,200 dollars...crazzzzy.

14. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

Same thing here...

I was going through the same dilemma. Im planning on buying the 3G iPad on Friday but I wasn't sure what size to get. I initially wanted the 32GB but wasn't sure if it was enough, especially since I have lots of music and a ton of movies on my mac. I thought to myself "hmm, maybe ill shoot for the 64GB incase I need more?"

Then I realized two things...1) I dont need to load that much music onto it since I already carry my iPhone with me and its got plenty of music. 2) I can put a dozen or more movies but I doubt id watch them all anyway since im usually not too far from home.
    However, I ran into an app just three days ago while reading the forums that solved the "movie problem". The app is called AirVideo, basically it streams all you movies from your mac to your iPad/iPhone (its a universal app).

I've been using it on my iPhone and the movies start almost instantly. It also has two other interesting features I have yet to try. It converts non supported formats (such as avi, divx, etc) on the fly and streams it to your iphone/iPad and it also supposedly streams over 3G.

Although if you leave on a trip/vacation or what not, theres nothing like having all that stuff on your iPad already. At least you'll know you're covered.
    Anyway, after considering all this I decided to just stick with the 32GB and pocket the $100 which I can use to buy a case, accessory, etc. Everyones needs are different but I hope this helps with your decision making.

15. MiguelS macrumors regular

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

64GB. It's the best for storing everything you need and since you're buying a 3G model, might as well go big.

17. SteveWTW macrumors member

18. Bigrahizzle macrumors regular

Bigrahizzle

19. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I bought the 64GB 3G version.

I figure I would be more likely to say "Gee I wish I had spent the extra $100 for double the space" in the future than "I wish I had that $100".

20. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

To stream movies over WiFi doesn't require 3G at all. You could just buy the 64 GB non-3G iPad, watch movies offline and save a few bucks. To stream movies over 3G will cost you $30/month, which makes saving $100 negligible. Spend the extra $100 once and be done with it. You will spend almost as much on a case.

21. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

While this is true, I will be using my iPad maining for web-browsing. I commute, so it's going to basically go with me everywhere.

I've run into the issue many times with my Touch of not having a hotspot nearby. The 3G will give me this peace of mind. I don't think the $15 or $30 is too much, since basically I plan to replace my netbook--all but skype--with this thing.

So by going wifi-only I not only severely limit my web-browsing experience, I also fill up my iPad quick with movies that could have been streamed through netflix, airvideo, what have you.

And to those who said the case and other accessories have nothing to do with storage, you're right. But I'm not wealthy by no means, and I definitely don't want to be like the aforementioned fellow who spent $1200 on iPad and accessories. If money wasn't an issue this post would have never popped up.

I'm seriously leaning towards the 64 GB now, however. I figure if I were to buy the 16 GB, store a movie or two, take my apps and books, I'll still be paying for the 3G coverage to stream those movies and enjoy that web-experience, irrespective of whether there is a hotspot near me or not. (I'm in DC so I know there is a Starbucks at least within 10 blocks. Also, the 3G coverage here is pretty snazzy.) So why not get rid of the middleman and just buy the 64 GB, so I can save $15 a month, at least. (It's good to note that I do have wifi at home, but I will still use the 3G when I commute. The $15 plan should suit those needs just fine.)

Also, with the new OS releasing in the Fall, the opportunity to play more apps simultaneously (with Pandora) is going to make me inclined to really fill up my iPad.

Still, there's a voice in the back of my head saying, "Go with the 16 GB, Apple is going to release a new iPad model with camera soon."

I wish that voice would shut the hell up.

22. melman101 macrumors 68030

Personally I was going to go for 32GB 3G but I wound up getting 64GB wifi and it was the best decision I have ever made. Location Services has been working great for me. I use tethering for when I need to use the Internet. And lastly, when there is no 3G around, for instance, on an airplane, I have 64GB of choices of what I want to do. When there is no internet around, I have all these books, movies, tv shows, music,

I already have 4GB of apps and I don't have that many.

I hear that the Elements app itself is 2GB. So if thats any indication to the size of apps coming for iPad, I would definitely get the 64GB.

Now for me this is a win win situation. Cause I already pay $30 bucks a month for unlimited internet on my iPhone 3GS and I barely use 200mb. Now at least I'm getting my moneys worth. :)

23. vw195 macrumors 6502

Im glad everyone is picking up the 32 or 64. That means there will be plenty of 16gbs for me on launch day!!!!

24. bossxii macrumors 68000

64 gig. If the 100 difference is a matter of concern to someone buying a luxury item, they probably shouldn't be spending the money in the first place. Debating 100 after committing to 600 seems like a no brainer for double the storage if you actually can afford the 600 or 700 to begin with.

Yes there will be a better, faster, more storage and featured product next year but that will always be the case. When someone buys rev b there will be a better one just a year away as rev c etc... It's never ending, no matter what you buy something better will come out soon.

25. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Melman, it's great to hear from the other side of the spectrum. I'm glad you've been able to meet your needs and not have to pay for another 3G plan.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone, so the tethering option is a no go.

I wonder, however, if I could somehow convert the 3G signal from my iPad to wifi and tether it to my netbook, if only for skyping purposes...

If only the iPad had a camera. :apple: