The 8 series is compatible with any Qi charger right?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Appl3FTW, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I found a Samsung wireless fast charger and just want to confirm that the 8 series supports any Qi charger right? I don’t wanna spend mophie and belkin at the Apple store charging $59.99. How ironic it’s a Samsung too lol.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yeah any QI charger is fine although some of us have been reporting issues charging via cheap third party wireless chargers.

4. asuandy macrumors regular

asuandy

I have two Samsung ones and they work great. I trust them. They’ve been in the wireless charging game for years now.

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Yeah they all work but you have to do a little research as some of them can only deliver a 5W slow charge (about the same as the wall charger that comes with the iPhone). Only some chargers will support the faster 7.5W charging speed when Apple enables it later this year. Not a big deal if you only plan to charge your phone overnight. But it’s still worth knowing about.

6. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Yeah, I got the Anker 10W Qi charger (it's the flatter, $20-$25 one, they have two different models), and it's been perfectly fine for charging, even with a phone case (likely the next question someone will ask! :) )

7. ectospheno macrumors regular

I paid $20 for a cheap ravpower one immediately after the 8 was announced. Looks like they have found a way to bump the price now. It has been fine with my 8+. Get a brand you've at least heard of before and you should be fine.

8. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

9. xCarbonSteelx macrumors member

I sure am!

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have several Anker ones and I have a Sena wallet case with my drivers license in the back - charges just fine but I do have to make sure it sits just right on the charger - if I have my drivers license AND my credit card - it won't wireless charge. Oh well...

But yeah, I've tried a handful of wireless qi chargers, some from quite a long time ago, and they all work perfectly. I find the phone sized slab ones the most comfortable, easiest to use. I don't get why some of these pucks have to be super tiny and require a balancing act to place the phone on them.

Very happy with wireless charging!!! I did note though that if the phone doesn't sit completely flush with the wireless charger it can get quite hot -- I put my phone on a tablet stand and put the wireless charger behind it and it wasn't quite flush with the phone (a gap in between) - came back 15 mins later and the charger was burning hot.

The anker ones are good but are sold out quite often on Amazon. I wouldn't spend more than $30 on these things cuz I spent $11 and $16 on mine.

11. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Me too it’s the only one that looks great and charge the phone and watch at the same time

12. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Yup! Got a cheap $13 one off of amazon that supports 7.5 W and it works great

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I built a stand for my watch, iPad and iPhone that I'm not really to move on from. Wonder if any of these options can be built into my stand so I can take advantage of the wireless charging without having to blow up my current setup. When you guys talk about your chargers, maybe add the model number so I can look into them.

14. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Can you please send me the link?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    The one I bought was Samsung Qi wireless charger.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The other night I tested the QI charger in my Toyota Camry and the 8+ worked, fast charge to boot.

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

None of the ones I link below will help you (sorry) :/. They're either too ancient or sold out. But I'll post my experience with them.

This wireless charger (OLD) - was given to me for free by a coworker when he heard my phone had wireless charging. He upgraded to the pixel and doesn't use it anymore. This is my most favorite wireless charger because it's as big as my iPhone 8+ and it works PERFECTLY every time. Sadly doesn't look like it is for sale anymore. Also, my coworker opened it up to remove the "ding" speaker that annoyed the hell out of him. This is the best wireless charger I've have atm.
    https://www.amazon.com/Qifull-Wirel...ie=UTF8&qid=1507215466&sr=8-7&keywords=QiFull

I bought this September 15th. It's not as big as the above charger but it is fast and works fairly well. Sadly it is not in stock much at Amazon and the price went up quite a bit. This charger has since broken since I've gotten it - it no longer charges unless there is tension on the cable. :(
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this with the above charger but I dislike it. The puck is tiny, I have to balance my phone on it, and this got super hot when the phone wasn't flush with the charger. Also sold out.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3XH3KQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking into getting a wireless charger stand combo sometime when I have more $ (not now).

17. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Much appreciated, thank you

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And the Airpods can wireless charge as well (With the new battery case), so you can charge three devices simultaneously. I think that's where the convenience is. The only downside is it's 2018 until we see the Airpower.

19. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

How much u bet air power will cost $149 lols. For that price I’ll just buy 3 more lol

20. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I am. I can deal with charging my iPhone with the lightning cable for now.

21. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

22. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

It supports the Qi standard but won't work with many of the available third-party ones.

It currently doesn't work with several of the top-rated Qi chargers on Amazon. Once the phone reaches 100%, it dings several times a minute as it and the charger seemingly fight over currents.

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I've got a Note 7 I'll sell you for cheap...

24. Patrick G macrumors regular

Is there any reason to purchase a power adapter that exceeds 7.5w for use with a wireless charger (for either the 8 or the X)?

25. Rigby macrumors 601

Don't pay more than ~$20 for a Qi charger. The expensive ones are a ripoff. I've been using one of these for over a year now (for my Android company phone) and it works perfectly fine with the iPhone 8 too:

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Certified-T511-Anti-Slip-Qi-Enabled/dp/B00C40OG22

One small issue that affects all horizonal chargers: If you receive a call while the phone is charging and vibration is on, the phone may vibrate off the center of the charger and interrupt the charging process as described in Apple's support article (this has actually happened to me a few times). In hindsight a vertical Qi stand may be a better choice.