The A7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applhipstr, Sep 16, 2013.

1. applhipstr macrumors member

So what does the A7 processor do and is it the only device with one? Will the iPhone 6 also have the same processor?

2. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5s is the only product currently with the A7 in it. Simply put the A7 is a faster 64bit processor. What that does is let the phone load, render, etc quicker then the older A6.

The iPad 5 will have an A7X chip in it. And the iPad Mini 2 might also have an A7X chip in it.
    As far as the iPhone 6, it's anyone's guess. But it will more then likely have a chip called the A8. Which will be a more powerful version of the A7.

3. applhipstr thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if this allows for fast (not faster, fast) boot time. iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 has been notoriously slow to boot. It is unacceptable.

4. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I would say marginally faster boot time. iOS is designed so that rebooting your phone is a rare thing to do.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Faster processors often meant faster iOS boot times, but I don't see it as an issue considering I have rebooted one of my devices maybe twice in the past month. Remember that the beta will not perform like the final version of iOS7, its most likely running a bunch of debug code at startup.

Do you really restart your iPad frequently enough to worry about the boot time?

The iPad 5 will probably have the A7 or A7X. The iPhone 6 may have it, or it may have the A8 processor.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think Apple will keep the iPad Mini a generation behind the larger flagship iPad line - like what they did with the iPad 4 and iPad Mini 1 and what they are doing with the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c. So, I expect iPad 5 to have the 7x and the Mini 2 to have 6x.