The absolute beginner's quesiton.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dennydaydreamer, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Dennydaydreamer macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum to learn more about the machines made by Apple. Still a PC user, I have absolutely no experience on a Mac, although hopefully that's going to change in the near future as I plan to replace my ageing IBM laptop with a Macbook. Here I'd like to raise my own question before I make the choice to change everything forever:

The cons of Mac(books/Pro)

It seems quite easy to find on the net about how Macs are vastly superior to their PC cousins. What I did feel difficult to find was the Mac's own problems. (or Things You'd Better Know before Switching to Macs) The only comprehensive list I've managed to come across is the one on Wikipedia, and by the looks of it, the known issues, especially the ones for MBPs, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbookpro) are quite daunting. And as such I'd really like to hear from users of these machines: has your machine suffered from any defects, and are they serious? By serious I mean something that cannot be fixed unless you have the machine serviced. The IBM thinkpad I am using has been working for 6 total years without any faults that requires its casing being opened, and I am just curious about the sturdiness of the Macs.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. Dennydaydreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry! I didn't finish the post and I accidentally pressed ENTER... Hopefully it's all right now.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Whatever the manufacturer, there are going to be occasional problems. In many years of supporting both Windows and Mac computers for a living, I can say that Macs are generally better built, more reliable and longer lasting than the average Windows equivalent. Personally, I've only had one Mac fail in the last 20 years and even that was around 5 years old when it went.

I'm typing this on a 17" MacBook Pro btw - best laptop on the market IMHO (I also own a 17" HP, which is already showing its age after little more than a year). By the way, the MBP replaced a 5 year old Powerbook that was still going strong when I sold it recently. I have two Macs that are at least 7 years old and running OS X Tiger server beautifully, and I still have my old Mac Plus (my first Mac), which also still works!

Seriously - don't worry about reliability. Problems are rare.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One thing to always consider when you're reading complaints and stuff on the internet – people are always much more vocal about a faulty product than they are about a good one.

For every person who posts about a problem with their new computer, there are plenty more happily enjoying their new bit of kit but not shouting from the rooftops about it. The same's true of any product, really.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

QC for Apple products is at the very least on a par with other major manufacturers, but I think you'll find that Mac owners are more vocal about any deficiencies, real or imagined, than their peecee counterparts (who may either not realize a defect or expect it and just move along). Every independent metric regarding them still shows that Apple hardware is less troublesome than its competition as a whole. We just have more squeaky wheels than most!

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I generally recommend purchasing an extended warranty with a MacBook or MacBook Pro. That's not based on statistics about frequency of problems, but on the common sense notion that laptop computers have a harder life than desktop machines.

There's another factor to consider: Macs are generally dependable, but an Extended Warranty also gives you peace of mind. If you are concerned about needing repairs and service on your Mac, the warranty reduces that concern, because you'll be covered for any problems that turn up.

In addition to service from Apple, you have MacRumors as a resource for advice about both Mac hardware and software. And that doesn't even cost extra!

8. Osprey macrumors 6502

My two cents worth is that it is a good idea to buy an extended warranty on any laptop just because it is a machine that you move around a lot.

9. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Exactly what I have heard--also that since there is greater heat in a laptop, the parts are put under greater stress.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Absolutely no problems with the MBP or the iBook that preceded it. None. Zero. And I never bought Applecare, either.

11. Osprey macrumors 6502

Well now I am sure that you have gone and jinxed yourself! Seriously though, it is like all insurance--you don't need it until you need it. And if something does go wrong, it will save you money in the long run.

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Maybe. But it would have to be a problem that cost more to fix than Applecare costs. I really don't consider it a big gamble. In fifteen or so years of using Macs, I've had one problem - a HD failure on an iMac G5 - that would have saved me $100 over rhe cost of Applecare. And I didn't care about the money, it was the files I lost - none of which were backed up. I bought a 400GB external HD along with the new internal. Backed up now!