Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Hi,

Ok this is a very weird problem. When my SR mbp is plugged into the wall, the white power brick makes a "sizzling" sound and gets pretty hot. It literally sounds like something's cooking in there. I'm not angry because at least i know my computer is OK...this is something that can be changed easily!

But that's not what's weird.

With the adapter plugged in, whenever I use two fingers to scroll on the touchpad (up or down), the power adapter simultaneously makes a sound while my finger is scrolling across the touchpad. Once I stop scrolling, it just makes the sizzling sound. Whenever I'm scrolling, the sound accentuates and gets louder. When I'm typing or just moving around on the trackpad - just the sizzling sound. It specifically gets higher pitched when I scroll on the trackpad. It's as if it's mimicking my trackpad motion with deeper sizzling sounds!

How weird is that! I should probably go get a new power brick before this one explodes...

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
Just for pure curiosity alone, you should give Apple a call and find out what they think and then report back here. That has got to be the weirdest issue regarding ANY computer I've ever heard of. :confused:

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
do you feel anything (like a slight shock?) something isn't right there, and I suggest you try to refrain from using the adapter as much as you can.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
do you feel anything (like a slight shock?) something isn't right there, and I suggest you try to refrain from using the adapter as much as you can.

No shock can be felt, but it's definitely sizzling. It also gets so hot I'm tempted to cook some eggs and bacon right on top of it!

The sizzling sounds like it's going to explode and can be heard over the mbp fans! (2K RPM usually).

And I don't want to go to the Apple store because, well, um...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
My MacBook did the EXACT same thing.

My adapter made the crackling/sizzling noise and whenever I scrolled (esp. in Safari), the pitch of the noise would change and/or get louder (keep in mind, we're still talking about the power adapter!).

...If I listened really carefully, I could hear the same noise (only much quieter) coming from my computer.

Does the problem occur when you use the grounded plug (3-prong plug)?
For me, it didn't make any difference.

Call up AppleCare, explain that the adapter is making crackling noises and gets very hot. ...They'll have one shipped to you at no cost before you can confirm a credit card number. :D

PS - The new power adapter fixes the problem.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
No shock can be felt, but it's definitely sizzling. It also gets so hot I'm tempted to cook some eggs and bacon right on top of it!

The sizzling sounds like it's going to explode and can be heard over the mbp fans! (2K RPM usually).

And I don't want to go to the Apple store because, well, um...

Sounds like a voltage problem with the mainboard, well that would be my guess.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
what surface is your bum/feet sitting on?? maybe try putting socks on, or rubber shoes. sounds like some sort of short circuit or similar. put the power adaptor on a different surface. i wouldnt be too worried about it tho..i think!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
I am actually using the smaller power adapter...The computer doesn't make any type of similar sound...it really is coming from the power adapter. Even when the power adapter is plugged into the wall and NOT the mbp it still makes a sizzling sound though not as much. weird.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Is it from any outlet that you plug into or just the one? As others have said, it sounds like an electrical problem coming into/through the transformer.

Try a different outlet where you are and someplace else (if possible). Call Apple if the sound is still there when plugged into any outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.