"the actualy molecules of the alumni..."

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robbie12345, Oct 23, 2012.

1. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

lol, i was just watching the new keynote when phil schiller (i think) talks about the new friction stir method. Obviously alumin is an elements, and therefore doesnt have molecules. It makes me either a, think he isnt the brightest guy in the world. or B, he has no idea what he is talkling about, and therefore you shudnt trust him.

just gving a little input. btw if u want to see it it is at around 30 minutes exactly of the keynote.

2. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

3. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol no its not. I love how apple fans are going to say that it is because phil schiller did. btw its not made up of molecules.

Any element on the periodic table, is made of atoms. Moelcules are combinations of atoms to form more complex materials.

And if u ddont belive me look up a periodci table.

4. bmunge macrumors regular

It's not pure aluminum. It's an alloy so yes it has molecules.

5. pelle41 macrumors newbie

i don't think that these parts consist of pure alumin, rather some kind of alloying and therefor there would be molecules.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

The aluminum apple uses is most likely an alloy of some type so no

7. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

No it isn't.

(Disclaimer: I am a chemist)

Aluminium is an element, and is made up of atoms.

Aluminium oxide is a compound, and the atoms of aluminium and oxygen combine together to form molecules of Al2O3.

8. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

9. multivac macrumors newbie

A molecule is just two or more atoms bonded together; there is no requirement that a molecule contain multiple different elements. In fact, hydrogen – the most basic element in the universe – is unstable as a single atom, and will bond with another to form H2.

See:
    Elements, Atoms, and Molecules

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

An alloy still does not contain molecules necessarily. A metal alloy contains atoms of the two (or more) metals together in the crystal lattice.

11. bmunge macrumors regular

You're confusing a chemical bond with a machined grouping of material. They are not the same. A block of solid Aluminum contains several individual atoms of Aluminum. They do not become Al2 just because they are next to each other.

12. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

13. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

14. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

The chances of anything involved in the ipad being pure aluminium are about the same that you, reading this, are pure aluminium.

15. 141n5 macrumors member

While correct that Aluminium is an element and without molecular composition, Apple use an Aluminium Alloy for their bodies and casings.

Not known the exact composition, but likely to be 6061 T-6

Which could be assessed to have covalent bonds at atom level loosely sharing the electrons with all the other atoms around them or "electron soup".

But when making alloy you're mixing in some other elements into the atom structure of the main metal. Depending on the processes there will be atoms of the other element(s) spread more or less evenly throughout the piece of metal and in between the atoms of the "main" metal.
    Varying the proportions will change the structure that the atoms fall into. This will affect the patterns the atoms can form, which will change the physical properties of the piece of metal.

So while to say "Molecules" per say is possibly wrong the - layman understanding of the blend process is not entirely incorrect.

16. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

im loling at the apple fanboy replies. lol your are defending everything that phil schiuller said, even though i am right and a chemist proved me to be correct!

To be quite straight with you the aluminum may just be pure aluminum. it says no where that it is an alloy.

either way you guys are explaining outside of the quote, this was meant to be a funny post.

stop reading outside of the lines btw this is the quote "the aluminum MOLECULES..." he clearly stated the aluminum molecules, I.E. he wasnt reffering to the alloy or something else.

17. multivac macrumors newbie

I didn't say that they did; was just trying to point out to the OP that a molecule may contain atoms from only a single element.

"A molecule may consist of atoms of a single chemical element, as with oxygen (O2), or of different elements, as with water (H2O)."Wikipedia Article "Molecule"

18. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

i understand this however that is not true weith aluminum so besides the point.

19. France- macrumors member

France-

All I'm getting from this is essentially:
    "OMG LOLOLOL XDDDDDDD STUPID MAC FANBOYS LOLOLOLOLOL OMG TROLLED4LYFE XDDDDDDDDDD."

20. Dnix macrumors 6502

I think OP is right, things referred to as "molecules" in chemistry are covalent...and have nothing to do with metals? Like in organic chemistry, maybe I'm wrong.

As for whether this thread was necessary...lol.

21. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol it was meant for us all to get a lugh not to start ban argument with the fanboys backing up phil schiller.

i just thought that when you are reffering to an elemnts, then you arent talking asbout molecules...

oh well, it was funny to me anyways

22. bmunge macrumors regular

Are you 14?

lol im jus askking because ur posts r compleatly retarded lol omg fanboys!!

23. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

how so is this reatrded? i just thought it was funny. thats he wud say something about his product like that. btw are you 12 because your posts are "totaly retarded" im not trying to have an argument. it was funny to me if u didnt think so keep it to urself, thats all.

24. bmunge macrumors regular

I was mocking your terrible spelling and grammar.

25. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

This thread is kind of surreal. Thanks for starting it Robbie. And I mean that sincerely. Molecules and atoms and elements. And all this on a Mac rumor site. I think we hit a new high in nerdiness. Well done. Good job by the chemist as well.