The age old question...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mad jew, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So, does age matter for you in a relationship? Over the past year or so I've started noticing all the girls I've been seeing are in their late teens, whereas I'm about four or five years up on them... Back in high school this would have got to me, but now it just seems to make sense. It seems like all the girls my age are wanting kids and marriage and that crap. I couldn't handle it right now. Imagine more mad jews running around!

Down here it seems quite common for the girl to be younger than the guy. Is this the same where you come from? How does that relate to same-sex partnerships? Hmm?...

Sorry if none of this makes sense. It's 5:45AM on a Monday, I've been up for hours, and I have a head cold. I'm pretty sure my brain's rattling too, which is worrying...

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Dude, you've gone crazy! LOL. :D

From what I've seen, the girl is usaully younger than the guy, but I've seen the opposite. I think girls are more attracted to older guys, but I'm not sure about guys (and I am a guy, which is funny).

3. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Been crazy for a while, mate... :p

I'm definitely attracted to younger girls. Mmm... So supple.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

brain...? o well...

Where I Live, Indiana USA, it doesn't seem like there is a huge gap between partners. 5-10 years but thats for older, comparative to me, folk 45+. Theres a lot larger difference between a 17 and 22 year old as apposed to a 50 to 55 year old.

In both sides of my family there isn't an older wife than husband, original marriages, for every remarriage it opposite.:confused:

I think 4 or 5 is pushing it, how on earth do you keep it all straight? oh oops age:rolleyes: but I personally think thats ok but after a couple of years it'll start to get really weird, when your getting near double their age.

5. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I admit seventeen's too young for me. It's illegal to have fun with a seventeen year old.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

im 35. my girlfriend, who i live with and will marry in a few years, is 22.

i know the feeling. :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just as long as they're not in their early teens, mate. You can get in trouble for that. Although you'll get to make a fun R&B opera along the way. :)

Mmm, I have actually dated significantly older and moderately younger. It all depends on where people're at in terms of their wants / needs, what their personality is like, etc.

A problem I run into now is that relatively few unmarried women my age (32) want to have children, and ultimately, I really want to have children. That and my environs keep me around slightly younger people than me right now, since I'm a little on the older side of the typical doctoral student in clinical psychology.

But I think between two adults who are generally able to give and receive consent, it all really just depends on the situation.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I try not to date 21-22 and under. It's a general consensus amongst myself and my friends that our girlfriends go through a 1/4 life crisis at around that age. I know there's no empirical root whatsoever for that kind of logic, but we've all gone through the worst break ups (some of us more than once) with a girl once she's reached that age.

Nowadays, I don't find women are interested in marriage and kids until they get close to their 30s. In today's financial climate, starting a family young is a one way ticket to bankruptcy. I don't want kids, anyway.

I sincerely hope I have that problem. We'll find out (too) soon enough.

9. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So that's my problem! All the girls my age are loopy.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, your problem is that you should be rooting empirically.

11. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

One set of the ol' grandparents have a 9 year age gap between them. My grandfather is reaching 80 and my gran about 71. Caroline's folks have a 10 year age gap too.

I've never really cared for it. I've only dated girls my age just because I've been beside them throughout school/college/uni. I'm 1 month (minus a day) older then Caroline, yet I don't feel it :D

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I guess the age difference depends on what age you are.

five years difference when you are in you 40's is not the issue it is when you are in your teens early twenties.

I personally think the best age difference is about 3 years - at least you will have the same cultural background to talk about.

Dating anyone who is still in highschool and you are not - wrong. no matter what the laws may say.

I think that 30 year old with a 19-22 year old is wrong too. just too much mental maturation gap there. but a 70 with 50 does not seem too bad.

SO yeah physical age matters but so does mental age.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

With details. We want details.

15. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Casual dating- sure. I agree with that. College guys going around picking up highschool chicks are just douchbags.

However, I like to think that my situation is slightly different. My girlfriend is a couple years younger than me and still in high school, but we were dating for a while when I was a senior and we were both at the same school, then stayed together when I went to college, and have been together for the past year+ since I came here. And it would not surprise me at all if we were still together when she goes to college.
    So I don't think it's always wrong to be going out with a high schooler...

16. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

MJ, if I was a fit good looking mate such as yourself, I'd be looking for a rich sugar mama that's unhappy with her marriage and I'd start doing her. I'd do her twice a day and have her buy me a BMW 7 Series. :)

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Not really no, between my current girlfriends the oldest is 15 years older than the youngest.

If it works it works, personally I don't really get on with people my own age as I really just don't relate to them on many levels, i've been through allot in my time and I feel i need someone with equivalent or more experience.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My goodness. I think we've both just been voted into the Dirty Old Men's Club, by unanimous consent.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hey, I'm no Groucho Marx: I'll join if they'll have me. Do they accept VISA?

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, you only need to learn the drools and regulations.

23. Arantxa macrumors member

My boyfriend is eight months younger than me...

Girls are generally more mature than boys the same age until the late twenties because girls begin and finish puberty 2-3 years before boys do. Plus, it's kind of a societal thing. Most guys would rather their girl be younger, shorter, smaller, etc than them, and girls would rather their boy be bigger, stronger, older, etc.

:rolleyes:

Whatever.

Oh, and in many states, the age of consent is 16, making 17 year olds so far from being jailbait, it hurts.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk