The age old "should I or shouldn't I" question. For my uses?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ghost31, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

So I have a couple choices this year. I'm looking to buy another computer sometime this fall and I'm right in the middle on this.

I'm studying computer science, but I'm not doing anything computationally heavy. A lot of it is just research, studying and light programming in Xcode. Some web development too. So the two options I'm looking at is:

Get a Mac mini with an ssd and bumped up ram. This would be a great solution at home hooked up to a couple monitors. It's the more powerful option of the two that I'm thinking about so I probably won't have any issues of "wanting more".

Get a 12 inch MacBook: there is a lack of power, but the question being is it enough power to satisfy my pretty basic needs? The benefit is that I could have it hooked up at home and use my magic keyboard and trackpad with it and when I wanna program while at work or on the go, I could actually take it with me. I wouldn't need to remote Into it while I'm away from home and deal with possible lag and trying to use a Mac interface on my iPad Pro. There's a few hours a day at work where I have down time that I could be using to self teach programming. After awhile that adds up

So I'm really stuck. What do you guys think?

2. viperGTS macrumors 68000

I've asked around and the 12" MacBook will be able to handle anything us computer science students would throw at it, whether it be VMs or programming in Xcode. I think you'll be just fine with one.

You'll also appreciate the portability!

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I second this! I've just gotten a 12" rMB (m7) and am very pleased with how speedy it is and how well it handles everything. The portability can't be beat, either -- it's very easy to carry in one hand and will ride along in a backpack or a messenger bag so comfortably and lightly you'll almost forget it's there!

4. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Great! What are your uses like? What's kinds of stuff do you use it for?

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Light usage, really: email, forum participation, checking news sites, viewing videos -- that kind of thing. My main usage will be around the house and for travel. I also have a 15" rMBP which will continue to handle anything such as photo editing; this new machine will serve as a secondary computer. I have an iPad Pro, also, and in the past there have been times when I've been frustrated that it cannot always function in the way I need and on a trip that has been irritating. This new rMB will take care of that problem....