The alias can't be opened because the original item can't be found

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Melodeath, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have an external OWC drive I have connected to my OS X Snow Leopard MBP. On the OWC drive is pretty much nothing but mp3, in the main directory, in folders, and in sub-folders.

To find the mp3 I want, since the files are poorly organized, I will use the search in the upper right of finder to search for an Artist folder or Album folder where the mp3 would be. When I double click a folder that shows up in the search results, EVERY SO OFTEN (maybe once every 4 times - it seems to only occur when I'm not TRYING to make it happen), I get the following message "the alias "[folder name]" can't be opened because the original item can't be found." I thought I was clicking a folder not an alias...

Anyway, I can then select "Delete Alias," "Fix Alias" or "Ok." Usually I click Ok, and I'm taken back to the search results. Then I double click the same folder, and it takes me to the folder with no error message.

Any ideas what's causing this? My guess is that Search in finder creates an alias, but no files are being moved, so I don't know why the "original item can't be found"...

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Now that is odd! It's probably just a Spotlight bug, though - that Apple has no intentions of fixing.