The Alien Invasion Has Started

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That's totally horrifying.

"Survives" heated to 600F?

Why do I have images of The Andromeda Strain, and some other short story* I read a million years ago that I can't remember the name of crashing in my brain?

* Seriously it was probably 25+ years ago that I read it. The story (as I barely remember it) was about a chemical found or returned from a space mission that caused water to change properties in a way that was very dangerous to humans (I think it killed all the astronauts?), maybe made it unabsorable by our bodies, and it was accidently washed into a drain. A short time later a company was selling "ice cubes that sank" in drinks (a sign that the chemical was in the water supply). Something like that. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Very Cool to think that this might be our first encounter with aliens.

I sort of hope that this pans out to be true just so I can say that I was alive when we first made contact.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Its like a bad sci-fi movie, the first confirmed aliens arrived in "blood rain".

" So far, one preliminary DNA test has come back positive." Does that mean that DNA was found? Why are people talking about no DNA?

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Very, very interesting! :eek:

DNA or not, I'd still like to know how these things rained from the sky.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
runplaysleeprun said:
" So far, one preliminary DNA test has come back positive." Does that mean that DNA was found? Why are people talking about no DNA?
I think it's just poorly worded and explained. It looks like the test is to confirm the absence of DNA. So I assume a positive test means an absence of DNA.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
yellow said:
That's totally horrifying.

"Survives" heated to 600F?

Why do I have images of The Andromeda Strain, and some other short story* I read a million years ago that I can't remember the name of crashing in my brain?

* Seriously it was probably 25+ years ago that I read it. The story (as I barely remember it) was about a chemical found or returned from a space mission that caused water to change properties in a way that was very dangerous to humans (I think it killed all the astronauts?), maybe made it unabsorable by our bodies, and it was accidently washed into a drain. A short time later a company was selling "ice cubes that sank" in drinks (a sign that the chemical was in the water supply). Something like that. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Didn't read the book but saw the movie. Think red lights and squeeze, thats AS.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
At least the uproar will be a lot milder this way... imagine everyone going nuts when aliens would land in spacecrafts and walk amongst us. I guess I prefer the first one, although the shock of the second one could certainly be beneficial to solving our social and ethnical problems.

But it's probably nothing at all.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
I hate to disappoint, but I have read the article and its crap. This is a physcist trying to be a biologist and failing. I can't believe this got published. The article is mostly just him speculating and involved no valid scientific analysis.

Send me some cells and I'll have an ID for you in a week or two.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
yellow said:
"Ice-Nine" by Kurt Vonnegut?

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
AmbitiousLemon said:
I hate to disappoint, but I have read the article and its crap. This is a physcist trying to be a biologist and failing. I can't believe this got published. The article is mostly just him speculating and involved no valid scientific analysis.

Raining on his parade? Better send off a sample for analysis. :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
AmbitiousLemon said:

Didn't he specifically say he didn't know yet? And what is not scientific about testing for DNA? Not quite sure I get your point.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
jsw said:
"Ice-Nine" by Kurt Vonnegut?
That was my immediate thought as well, but doesn't seem to be what yellow meant. (Unless, as he says, he got it all wrong. :D )

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Diatribe said:
Now the scary part is that it not only survives that temperature but reproduces at that temperature.
Actually the article doesn't mention anything about surviving at high temperatures or reproducing.

The test for DNA wasn't done properly.

They didn't have a single biologist look at this. These are two physicists with no training in biology. You would get no better analysis by giving it to a person you ran into on the street. From the comments they make in the article it sounds like they have a very poor understanding of basic biology.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Diatribe said:
Now the scary part is that it not only survives that temperature but reproduces at that temperature.
Is that considered hot sex? ;)

On a serious note, completely agree. This definitely limits ways to destroy it, if the need arises.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
AmbitiousLemon said:
Actually the article doesn't mention anything about surviving at high temperatures or reproducing.
FWIW:

article said:
Stranger still, dozens of his experiments suggest that the particles may lack DNA yet still reproduce plentifully, even in water superheated to nearly 600 degrees Fahrenheit .
I take that to mean that (assuming it's real), it divides and recreates itself in very, very, very, hot temps. Meaning it's still "alive", where many (most?) other forms of life, as we know it, would be dead.

sushi said:
On a serious note, completely agree. This definitely limits ways to destroy it, if the need arises.
See? That's the first thing I thought.. have I watched too many sci-fi movies?
Am I to into reading Judas Unchained (followup to Pandora's Star) [good reads if you like sci-fi]??

First thought.. how do I kill it?