Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
The All New HTC One (M8)

If you get the carrier version of the M8.....you can unlock/root and flash ROMS that will essentially make it a GPE M8

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development

Thanks.

Unfortunately, just got off the phone with BB and they don't have grey one, just gold. And the next store that does have the grey one is way too far.

I might take advantage of AT&T's next plan, we'll see.

Question: anyone have the gold? How does it look? I guess I can always slap a case or skin to it.

v871305

macrumors member
May 30, 2014
The Last Shangri-La
I have usually run all my phones naked....no cases. Don't like cases. Just my personal preference. Got a little scratch on my M8 even though I have been so extra careful with this phone! It really irks me to no end how easy it is to scratch the M8. I got the ZAGG invisible shield to put on the back. It really is a nice solution. It has just a little texture to to grip so the M8 is not a slippery. I really like it.....

I run all my phone nude too. What color m8 do you have? I'm looking to get a protective sheet for the back since the gray one feels very slippery during normal use.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have usually run all my phones naked....no cases. Don't like cases. Just my personal preference. Got a little scratch on my M8 even though I have been so extra careful with this phone! It really irks me to no end how easy it is to scratch the M8. I got the ZAGG invisible shield to put on the back. It really is a nice solution. It has just a little texture to to grip so the M8 is not a slippery. I really like it.....

url]

If i had a naked aluminum back phone it would look like it was in a demolishtion derby after two weeks. Thats why i dont like aluminum backs. Way too slippery for me and i drop them often. I do usually put my phones in cases but with my plastic back Samsungs half the time i didnt use a case.

I have one on my Nexus 5 but and you can get another back cover for them but it isnt near as cheap as getting one for a Samsung because the vibrating motor and other things come with it.

Im sure the invisishield helps with grip of the M8 but it wont stop it from denting.

Last edited:

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Thanks.

Unfortunately, just got off the phone with BB and they don't have grey one, just gold. And the next store that does have the grey one is way too far.

I might take advantage of AT&T's next plan, we'll see.

Question: anyone have the gold? How does it look? I guess I can always slap a case or skin to it.

My Amber Gold M8 should arrive in couple of days. I can post some pics and tell my thoughts about it. :)

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Thanks, that would be nice.

Okay... my M8 arrived and its FANTASTIC! I love the Amber Gold color. It's stunning.

It's more like a copper kind of gold, little brownish/reddish hue on it. Looks brilliant in my opinion.
So... if you're looking for a champagne kind of gold like in iPhone 5S this is not like it.

Pics will follow later! :)

PS. I recommend you to find a gold one and see it yourself if you're not confident about purchasing it. It's very hard to describe the color and I don't think that pictures will give it justice in the way it deserves. But at least I can give you my opinion and my personal thoughts of it. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Okay... my M8 arrived and its FANTASTIC! I love the Amber Gold color. It's stunning.

It's more like a copper kind of gold, little brownish/reddish hue on it. Looks brilliant in my opinion.
So... if you're looking for a champagne kind of gold like in iPhone 5S this is not like it.

PS. I recommend you to find a gold one and see it yourself if you're not confident about purchasing it. It's very hard to describe the color and I don't think that pictures will give it justice in the way it deserves. But at least I can give you my opinion and my personal thoughts of it. Hope it helps.

Thank you! Looking forward to some pictures.

Enjoy your new device! :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Enjoy :) :)

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014

Pictures!

I hope that I could give better idea how the color really is. It doesn't look quite as stunning in pics as it is in reality. Anyway, I hope I helped you even a little bit. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Converted my gunmetal grey AT&T M8 to a Google Play Edition and really enjoying it so far. Very curious to see what Google is going to announce at I/O next week and excited to know that with a GPE device, we get to be early adopters.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
^^ I went to AT&T yesterday and I couldn't get over how AT&T forces you to have their bloatware on these devices so, I didn't buy it.

I'm still waiting to see what the final verdict is with the G3 but if not, GPE M8 it is--or maybe Developers edition :p we'll see.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
^^ I went to AT&T yesterday and I couldn't get over how AT&T forces you to have their bloatware on these devices so, I didn't buy it.

I'm still waiting to see what the final verdict is with the G3 but if not, GPE M8 it is--or maybe Developers edition :p we'll see.

Honestly, you may as well save the ~$500 and get the AT&T version and just convert it to a GPE yourself. You'll lose all the bloatware (from AT&T & HTC) and still get updates directly from Google. Also the process was fairly simple to complete.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Honestly, you may as well save the ~$500 and get the AT&T version and just convert it to a GPE yourself. You'll lose all the bloatware (from AT&T & HTC) and still get updates directly from Google. Also the process was fairly simple to complete.

That would mean I would have to sign a two year contract which I'm trying to avoid. In worst case, I can take advantage of the NEXT plan.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So, I've recently decided to convert my M8 to a gpe edition. I successfully rooted and unlocked my boot loader, however I'm running into problems with getting my s-off. Firewater keeps giving the message that its not possible on my device, I have the at&t version. Not sure what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
some pics......no editing no processing after the pic was taken...point and shoot.

efdwTC4l.jpg
[/IMG]

4ajdOBdl.jpg
[/IMG]

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks, but those are the instructions I followed. Everything seems to go fine until firewater starts chugging its first bottle, that's when it tells me my phone can't be s-offed and apologizes, then tells me not to contact them about it. I've gone over the steps like 20 times and it still won't go through.
I do not have S-Off but can flash ROMs and switch between Sense and AOSP images. What do you need S-Off for?

Here are more supposed ways to get S-Off but as always it is not to be taken lightly and I have never tried these processes...I cannot vouch for them.

http://rumrunner.us/

http://moonshine.io/

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I do not have S-Off but can flash ROMs and switch between Sense and AOSP images. What do you need S-Off for?

Here are more supposed ways to get S-Off but as always it is not to be taken lightly and I have never tried these processes...I cannot vouch for them.

http://rumrunner.us/

http://moonshine.io/

Basically I want to do a full conversation to GPE with ota official updates. Every guide says I need s-off to do this . Though I was able to flash a gpe ROM and everything seems fine, but it does prompt me about the 4.4.4 update being ready to install, but when it reboots it goes I not nto nIbto recovery mode and fails to install the update .

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Pictures!

I hope that I could give better idea how the color really is. It doesn't look quite as stunning in pics as it is in reality. Anyway, I hope I helped you even a little bit. :)

Oh, that color looks great I have to say, hadn't really seen it before!

GF needs a new phone, we've been going through the list ticking off her needs & it looks like the M8 might be the one for her! Will see if this color is available here...

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Oh, that color looks great I have to say, hadn't really seen it before!

GF needs a new phone, we've been going through the list ticking off her needs & it looks like the M8 might be the one for her! Will see if this color is available here...

Best Buy should have the Amber Gold.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Best Buy should have the Amber Gold.

Thanks mate but I'm in Sweden :)

Sadly the major carriers all refuse to carry the M8 over here, I don't know what's up with that. Only way to get it is to buy it outright from a regular store/chain. :(

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
This is the message I get. I've tried in both terminal on my MBA and in bootcamp with windows 7, and each time that happens. I've followed the instructions on the firewater website, then followed sakitech videos on YouTube, and still the same. Not sure what else to do, or what the problem is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 124
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.