The all new Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macenforcer, Feb 8, 2008.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Was looking through my pics of old computers and came across this one. Kind of looks like the mockups for the new macbook pro redesign. Boy, when apple made nice looking laptops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think? Would you like to see this design brought back? Love the way the screen goes all the way back.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Do you have a front/looking down-angled pic of the Powerbook? I love the Titanium laptops, and if not for how old they are, I'd be seriously tempted to buy one.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I have always thought that the TIbooks were some of the ugliest Apple laptops ever made. Just my .02

4. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

I don't get why people like those so much. The white border looks horrible. It reminds me of some crappy Dell laptops i used to see a lot. Start with the MacBook Air, give it the normal features of a MacBook Pro, and maybe white chicklets instead of the black chicklets, and the magnetic latch. We dont' need random colored frames around the edges.. Simple = elegant.

5. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

i think the TIbooks are FUGLY!
    my art teacher has one and it looks like crap

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I always loved the way TiBooks look - in person they seem a bit on the more professional side than MacBooks to me. More edgy.

Not saying MacBook Pros aren't nice - Titaniums are just nice in a different way. If they weren't so damn slow and old I would consider getting one.

7. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

The top yellow pic is of the last one they made. 1ghz G4 with superdrive. The bottom 2 are of the first one they made, G4 400mhz.

8. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

9. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Look at the reality. The dark clear keyboard was badass. The keyboard lifted up toolless style and you could put ram and swap out the hard drive in there. All the ports were on the back. It looked cool and the screen went all the way back. Oh, it was made of TITANIUM! Best laptop ever.

EDIT: Ok, that said, it had a tendency to fall apart and the paint chipped off but still. Why can't apple take the best from todays and the best from yesterdays designs and combine them?????

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

At first, I thought that the TiBook was nice looking.

But then quickly changed my opinion.

Personally, I like the current MB and MBP designs the best.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Think of what Dells looked like in early 2001 when G4 Titaniums first came out:

insp5k.jpg

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

12. kabunaru Guest

13. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

I personally cannot stand the black keyboard. That's just me though.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that the current MBP, lightened and thinned a bit would be a nice case design case change.

15. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Ti was cool but impractical. The Ti PowerBook was ahead of its time.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Tibooks were really the best looking Apple notebooks ever. The new alu's are more durable and require no paint like the Tibooks but make no mistake the Tibook's were beautiful.

On a side note, the Titanium Powerbook came first and Dell stole the aesthetic concept from Apple so it's really Dell that reminds you of Apple, not the other way around.

17. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

I was quite hesitant about the black keyboard also, but I am loving how it looks on my MBA. Cant wait to see how (and if) they incorporate it in the MBP. The keyboard looks especially awesome with the backlight turned on. The light just looks great behind the black keys.

18. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I had a 1.0 GHz Titanium PowerBook and I hated it. Well, maybe not "hated", but it's definitely the least favorite of the three Macs I've had.

It had a bunch of problems that were really annoying. For example, the palm rest area was connected to the sides of the frame with plastic clips that snapped, creating annoying sunken corners. Every once in a while, another would snap, and the corner would sink a bit deeper. I also remember there was a place on the keyboard that if I pressed a little too hard would cause the OS to lock up.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sounds like you need to apply less pressure to your notebooks. A palm rest is where you rest your palms, not your body weight.

20. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I hate using macbook style keys. My powerbook / current macbook pro style keyboard is the best laptop keyboard I've ever used.

21. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I think they should do away with the plastic border all together, there was a mockup in another thread that looked great without the border

and of course the interior hinge was a great improvement over the TiBook design. In my opinion.

22. Macsleuth macrumors member

My first real Mac!

I bought a Tibook, 667. Man that was a great laptop, all the guys in the office loved it.
    They all had ugly black Dells at the time. Hmm, that as a while back.
    Sill have it.
    Just got my new MBP, love it, but not the same way I loved the Tibook
    I've had this a week so far and haven't made the time to finish setting it up, installing apps and just play with it.
    With the ibook, you couldn't pry it out of my hands....
    The new MBP is a wee bit heavier, a whole lot faster.....
    Screen is amazing!
    backlight keyboard, out of this world!
    I'm getting used to the way the screen rolls back and down. (cool feature you don't see anywhere else).
    The mag supply, no one else has it! Awesome!
    All this and yet, the original kick in the teeth got to have one feeling is not there.
    Again, don't get me wrong, love it, but I think it's due for a redesign.
    Something to make people stand up and take take notice.
    Almost got a Dell XPS laptop this time around, but really wanted a new MBP.
    Was looking at Alienware laptops, but then again, I'm not rich! (LOL).
    My wife got a Macbook this past summer and she loves it.
    I love the small footprint.
    I also got an Imac 24", wish i would have ordered it with the bigger drive and video card, but it's a great machine and wonderful to look at.
    Maybe one day, I'll open it up and upgrade a few things. i know they're really not upgradeable, but what the hey, I'm sure I'll find someone who has done it and will tell me how.
    My pc friend wants to et his wife one.
    G

23. vixapphire macrumors 6502

it is a strange optical illusion that makes the tibooks look thinner than the aluminum powerbooks, but that's the way they've always looked to me.

the white border and archaic hinge makes the tibook look a bit old-tech anymore, but man, i've still got a soft spot for them.

in fact, i'm carting off the 2.0 coreduo first-gen MBP to my folks next week and am awaiting the arrival of a $350 1GHz tibook that i just bought to tide me over until the right and proper "hammer of the gods" chipset combination arrives in the MBP line, at which time i'll wait even longer before selling the tibook and my G5 powermac, and fold my entire tent into the new laptop.

until then, the tibook will make a phenomenal portable. if the antenna range and battery life were better, there'd be more reason to keep it longer.

24. David G. macrumors 6502a

25. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Dude, what does that quote mean?