the "all things to do with foreign/art-house movies" thread

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi guys, here's a general place for recomendations, reviews and general chat of all art house and foreign movies.

Please list some favourite movies, thoughts of upcoming films your waiting to see...etc etc etc.

To kickstart things, i have quite a few favourite foreign films, such as:

Amores Perros
Stalker (Andrei-dir Tarkovsky)
James' Journey to Jerusalem
Or (Keren Yedaya)
Goodbye Lenin
etc etc

please feel free to do whatever, just please...no flaming!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I saw No Songs of Love at a German film festival the other day. It was much better than I expected. Though somewhat sad and depressing, it had some very funny moments and was very well acted, produced and directed. See it if you ever have the chance. :)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Brize said:
Those who enjoyed the Three Colours Trilogy should also check out Kieslowski's earlier film, La Double vie de Veronique, which has just been released on DVD in France and the UK.
Yes, I enjoyed that, though it must have been over 10 years ago when I saw it at the cinema. It's a shame films like this take an age for a DVD release, if at all.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Loge said:
Yes, I enjoyed that, though it must have been over 10 years ago when I saw it at the cinema. It's a shame films like this take an age for a DVD release, if at all.
Yep, it is frustrating. I think there were some licensing issues with Veronique that didn't affect Kieslowski's other films.

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
For another great dose of Kieslowski, check out The Decalogue. Greatness!

I can't wait to see Art School Confidential myself. Even in some of his more "throwaway" comic ideas, Daniel Clowes came up with enough fertile ideas to make films for years and years. Come on, pointillist clown!