The American Football....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Evangelion, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

OK, let's cover the basics first:

There is a team-sport that is popular all over the globe. That sport is called "football". Except USA where it's called "soccer".

There is a team-sport in USA that somewhat resembles rugby and is called "football". In other places around the globe, that sport is called "American football".

Now, to the question: Why is that latter sport called "football" at all? I mean, the ball is rarely touched with the feet, it's mostly carried in the hands. Also, the ball is not really a ball at all. But, on the other hand, in soccer the ball is really a ball, and it's 90% of the time operated with the feet. Calling american football "football" is more or less the same as calling soccer "handball" :confused:

Also, where does the word "soccer" come from?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

FYI "rugby" is actually called "rugby football"

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    And American football developed from rugby football. There's a fascinating display at the Hall of Fame in Canton that shows the history of football - it's still comparatively recent that the forward pass became a feature of the game. It used to be very much like rugby in that a ball could be run forward or passed laterally/backwards only. It also shows how the ball shapes have developed over the years. It's well worth a visit if you're a fan of the game.

Given the current padding trends in rugby football, they're very similar to what was initially worn for American football.

4. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

It's called soccer in ireland and japan aswell

5. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

oh and by the way the word "soccer" comes from an alteration of "assoc.", which is an abbreviation of "association football" otherwise known as football.

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

When I play rugby the only pads I wear are a gumguard and, um, well thats about it!

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which predated the use of the word 'football'; it's the original abbreviated name.

So all those people who think they're being purists and tell Americans off for calling it soccer... well, you're just plain old wrong. :D

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Let's not forget either that the original laws of Association Football had provision for players other than the goalkeeper catching the ball with their hands...

Mind, the laws went on...

The earlier Cambridge Rules (1848) and Sheffield Rules (1857) also had similar provisions allowing players to catch the ball. And prior to the codification of the Association Rules, football had been around in a variety of forms for donkey's years – the majority of which involved at least some degree of handling the ball.

Personally, I don't really like the term soccer and tend not to use it unless a clear distinction needs to be made between it and another sport – for example, if I make mention football on these forums outside of threads dealing with the sport there's the potential for confusion about which game I'm referring to, what with the boards being American-centric. I don't lose any sleep over it, mind. ;)

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in how many countries was/is it called association football ?

actually the even first continental club in Lausanne was called a "football & cricket club"... in 1860 ... before the rules were fixed so you can be pretty sure that the use of "football" was already widespread enough

edit: in german the differentiation is quite easy:
    "Fußball" = the one you play with your feet
    "football" = the american kind

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Another possible explanation... there is a school of thought that football is so called not because it involves using the feet to control, the ball, but that has its origins in medieval games that were played by common folk – a lot of the pastimes enjoyed by the ruling classes were enjoyed on horseback, whereas peasant types played their games on foot.

There are documented examples of games called 'football' taking place in England dating as far back as the thirteenth century – these references are almost certainly referring to different games with different rules but there is a long history behind it. Apparently, Henry VIII had his own pair of boots. :p

11. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

FYI, It's Soccer sometimes in Ireland because they also have a lot of Gaelic Football so it's to avoid confusion. Gaelic Football is pretty rough...

12. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

i know lol Gaeilic football is awesome

i like you :)

13. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Is it?

In New Zealand it's just Rugby. Or Rugby Union to differentiate from Rugby League.

Then of course there is League, or Rugby League (see NRL). Both of these are sometimes (annoyingly) called Football/Footie.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You mention Liverpool FC in your signature – if you venture to the other end of the M62 you can watch Hull FC in action, but they're a rugby league team. ;)