The anandtech macbook air review is up!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dugbug, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

2. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love Anand. :)

I still don't understand his battery tests, though. NOBODY else gets his battery life numbers. Nobody. No other test from another reputable reviewer. During Anand's battery life test for the 2010 MBAs, his Light Web-Browsing test results were hours better than other reviewers.

Recently, Laptop Mag got around 4 hours and 45 minutes (4.75 hours) on the 11" MBA during their comparable light browsing test. Anand is getting 6 hours and 20 minutes (6.33 hours) on the same model??????? :confused: :eek:

I'd take his values with a grain of salt. Expect more in the 4.5 hour range.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did Laptop Mag's browsing involve any Flash? Anand specifically states that the light web browsing involves no Flash at all, which makes a huge difference. Anand's test is also automated, he doesn't use the computer during that time - other reviewers may just use it for their tasks and then measure the battery life (again, this can make a big difference).

Anyway, you can always send Anand an email (anand.shimpi@anandtech.com , it's public so I won't get in trouble) and ask more about his tests. But yeah, I have to say I have never achieved the battery life Anand got in his review but I'm still pleased.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Fantastic in-depth review.

As suspected the 11" i5 - i7 bump is definitely worth it for those who want performance upgrade with a 27-30% boost over the i5 base model. That's a quite sizable margin. Likewise the 13" i5 1.7 - i7 1.8 only provides an 8% increase.

6. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Very helpful review, and now I can't wait get my hands on my new 11".

7. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Great review, as always..

Just wish he had tested the 11" 1.8Ghz i7 as well for battery life and heat. I hope he'll do a followup the same way he did one with the 11" 1.6 in 2010.

8. sprockett macrumors member

yes agreed, really hope he can do a batt life comparison btw i5 and i7 MBAs.

9. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Um, apart from comparing the i5 and i7 11" Airs, which is the only comparison I'm actually interested in. What a disappointment.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Impressive review and a really interesting read. Thanks for posting it, dugbug.

Cheers

11. ddarko macrumors 6502

Given that everyone's benchmark tests are designed and run differently, I don't put stock into the absolute numbers these tests produce, much less wonder why the numbers one site's benchmark throws out are higher or lower than the numbers from another site's. It truly is a apples-to-orange comparison since there's no standardization. The only data that's useful is the relative performance of a machine on the benchmark against another machine (assuming the benchmark is the same and run under the same conditions).

12. OSMac, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

Great detail on the base models.

Somewhat lacking on what i'd wanted to know most,
    how do the i7 models compare in battery life, temps, and real world program usage.

Also would have been interesting if he compared the 2 screen types.

13. darngooddesign, Jul 28, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

What were you expecting?

Let me fill in for you. The i7 is faster, sometimes by a decent amount if you are doing heavy lifting. The i7 runs hotter the harder you run it. The i7 gets shorter battery life depending how how hard you run it. If you browse with Flash your battery life will be shorter. Its not an expensive upgrade for what you get so if you even think you need the i7, you should buy it.

It's all common sense stuff.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes, he had full access to both i5 models, but had to borrow a friend's i7 to do some quick benchmarks.

Hmm...wondering if his friend has an LG display?

<sends email>

15. KPOM macrumors G5

He only had 2 base models to review, but then borrowed a friend's i7 to get some of the benchmarks in. Reviewers can only review what they have. I thought it was nicely done. If Anand were in NYC, he might have an 11" i7 to play around with for a day. :)

16. technopimp macrumors 6502a

The only way I can get the "rated" battery life in my Air (or Pro for that matter) is to have it sitting on my desk and not touch it. Then I can get almost 9 hours...not very useful though. I can use my MBP for "light" web browsing and only get about 5 hours out of it. So, I have absolutely no idea where he gets these numbers.

17. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I was expecting benchmarked figures about battery life, operating temperature, fan speeds etc for the different models of 11" Air. Your "common sense stuff" doesn't help much, really. :rolleyes:

18. Mike07335i macrumors member

His SSD review really shows the Samsung is a clear winner compared to the Toshiba. I don't know what to do now as I have a Toshiba and after seeing that I kinda want to go exchange... Argg.....

Can't decide if its worth it or just physiological at this point.

Mike

19. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

8% only from the i5 to i7 on the 13"?? Makes me wonder if it's worth it for a warmer cpu. :confused:

20. mac jones, Jul 28, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

hmm, I now may not return my i7 11" inspite of the fact that's it's a toaster.

It's just much more powerful than the base version it seems.

I thought it was only 2Ghz, but it's more than that.

Go figure :rolleyes:

I have a few programs that need a bit of juice.

BTW (off topic), can I rip a Windows 7 DVD and make an ISO from Toast platinum for Bootcamp? (I know that the extensions are the same but will Toast give me an error?

21. KPOM macrumors G5

Anand recommends the i7 upgrade for the 11" but not the 13" based on the performance difference. I agree. There's quite a bit of difference between the 1.6GHz and 1.7GHz i5s. The 1.7GHz models turbo boost to much higher speeds (2.4GHz in dual core mode vs. 2.0GHz for the 1.6GHz models).

22. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I read battery life and operating temperatures in that review. Maybe you were hoping for "X minutes watching Hulu and only Hulu".

Have you tried emailing them to get your specific questions answered?

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you find yourself waiting for a task? If not you probably won't notice the difference.

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

This review has a HUGE flaw

He only used the Samsung displays.

He trashed the Toshiba drives, but he didn't have the other displays.

As a matter of fact, he just sort of mentions it in passing

"Oh by the way, you may have a different display???"

whatever