The antenna issue IS YOU!!!! (bear with me)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bentrider, Jun 29, 2010.

1. bentrider macrumors member

I flat out cannot make my iPhone 4 lose bars with the death grip. Been all over in a bunch of service areas.

BUT... My friend grabs my phone and holds it in what I still think is a very unnatural way and it drops bars. Not enough to be 5% of the issue that people make it out to be but it does slowly drop. About three bars worth over 30 seconds.

So... Seems like effects some body types more than others? Sweaty hands? Bigger hands? Different magnetic fields?

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Cool story, bro.

P.S. We don't need another "This problem doesn't affect me, so it must be only 1% of users and you're all overreacting" thread.

I'm glad it's not affecting you. Keep happily using your phone while the rest of us try to solve the problem and wait for a fix. Thanks.

3. bentrider thread starter macrumors member

You're right. We need 50 more about how it affects you so must affect everyone.

4. Stay Tuned macrumors member

How do you know you're not the one holding it wrong? Is there an official 'how to hold the phone 4' document released by apple?

5. eTip macrumors 6502

Not sure why everyone is jumping all over you for this post. Unlike most posts on the issue, it actually DOES contribute something toward explaining why some are affected and some are not.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

People with bad chakras and auras aka fandroid converts, will be weeded it out easily by waning reception signals on new iPhone 4s. It's a feature.

7. bentrider thread starter macrumors member

Superb, mature, well thought out responses as usual. Exactly what I should have expected here.

On a serious note... Have any of you considered that MAYBE the fact that you make all of your calls in your mother's basement is what is causing the issue? Maybe Google's new marketing slogan should be, "Android. Won't drop calls in your mom's basement."

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It my be unnatural for you maybe but based on the videos and how I hold a cell phone I would have problems and it would be a very natural way for me to hold a cell.

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

which way do you hold it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU15dwR3Wfw

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

11. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Mine only loses bars when I cover up the entire antenna in a really unnatural way. I guess I'm either really lucky or this whole 'death grip' issue is blown way out of proportion. Maybe a little of both.

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

to cycle through the many grips one can take with their phone.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

How does it?

What has the OP put forward that is:

a) Useful

b) New

?

14. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Long story short, my buddy got his iP4 yesterday and neither of us could recreate the loss of signal/dropped call problem after multiple attempts in his townhouse (5 bars the entire time).

At his office today (50+ miles away), he tells me that he had no problem recreating the issue several times and that he didn't have to grip the phone hard at all - just a light touch to the magic spot.

So I agree that it seems that those who think they don't have the problem are probably just not testing it on the right combination of signal strength, tower frequency, etc (whatever that combination is).

That's unfortunate, as my buddy was pretty excited yesterday thinking that he got a "good one".

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Oh, without losing signal you mean?

Is your point to show grips that don't deter signal?

Because you really didn't hold any one grip long enough for that to happen if that was to case, which I guess is why I was asking what the point of it was...

Still don't know lol

16. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

Is that YOU Stevie?

17. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

his phone is still good. The signal will degrade, its the inherent nature of all cell phones depending on how strong the signal is. Signal bars are not a proper representation of a signal.

18. bentrider thread starter macrumors member

Because I've learned that this forum is populated largely by people who just want to be upset. The only acceptable answer is the worst one possible.

19. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Well, I believe you missed my point. He could get a call to drop almost instantly without much effort at all (nowhere did I say we were using signal bars as our basis for determining if the problem existed, merely trying to point out that we had a "good" signal at his townhouse). I was trying to say that he thought his phone was not one of the problematic ones since we couldn't recreate the problem at all at his house. Yet on a different combination of signal strength/frequency/channel (whatever), the problem was readily apparent.

So I tend to agree with those that say that the problem affects all iP4's and that those who think they don't have the issue probably haven't tested on a weak enough signal, etc. Of course, this has yet to be "proven", but it seems to be the case based on several people's reported experiences of the problem cropping up in one location but not another.

20. drjsway macrumors 6502a

The issue is related to the amount of moisture in your hand. This has been stated many times before

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Agree with this 100%

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No it hasn't.

People can get this issue to happen with things like coins.

Coins aren't usually moist.

Moisture simply doesn't add up as a valid explanation.

23. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I don't understand how people can say this issue doesn't exist. Sure people may be over reacting but to say it's nothing is ignorant. When browsing the Internet on my phone my bars go down (I'm left handed), so I know this problem is real. Does it really bother me? Rarely, although it can be frustrating. Regardless it's a real problem people are having. No offense to the OP but people like you on this forum just seem like you think everythings ok because you have no problems. Have a little sympathy for the rest of us.

24. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

id take a read at this

http://steve.grc.com/2010/06/26/iphone-4-external-antenna-problem/

touching or covering any antenna on any phone will lower the reception of the device a bit.