The App is out so is OneNote coming to OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loby, Jan 18, 2011.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Looks like an App for Microsoft OneNote came out in the Apple Store for the iphone...

Is this signs that Microsoft is testing the waters to see if there is a market to create OneNote for OS X?

If so, this will be a "big" score for Microsoft....in their crossover to again focusing on writing software for Apple.... :)

Any thoughts...?

2. philxor macrumors regular

I don't think we'll ever see OneNote for OSX much like we'll never see Visio.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not anytime soon. If it was coming, it would have come with the recently released Office 2011. Maybe in another 4 years time with Office 2015.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

By 2015 we'll all be using Office in the Cloud anyway. I just looked at Microsoft Live SkyDrive for the first time because of the OneNote App, and it looks like Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote are all available as web apps for FREE. Not sure I need a native Mac version of OneNote if I can use a web version of it, especially if I can also view and edit it from an iOS app. The only thing that I see as missing now is an iPad optimized version.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I hope it does in some form come to the Mac - Its the main reason I have my HP Tablet PC kicking around (Taking notes in Digital Ink and then printing to PDF after a Semester seriously means everything is backed up and not going walkabout).

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

If that is their plan, they won't be free for long. Why would Microsoft willingly give up their profits from one of their most profitable products?

As for the cloud... meh. I don't think I want to take part in this cloud computing revolution thanks.

7. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

OneNote is the killer app for TabletPC (as opposed to the touch based iPad and Android tablets). However, to be a killer app on a Tablet, it needs Pen based input. If you were using a Mac version, you'd be reduced to typing. OneNote is still a great note taking and organizing app without the pen, but does a native version really have any advantage over the web based version? Maybe it's easer to switch between notebooks locally, but the Tab/Page/SubPage organization is still available on the web version. I think that an iPad optimized version of the new App would be great, especially if it were to allow pen-like input using a Pogo Sketch stylus.

By the way, OneNote is the app that is keeping my Thinkpad X41 Tablet from being recycled, even though I haven't booted it up in 3 months...

8. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

MS has crushed all competing Office Suites. Their new competition is Google Docs, and it is formidable - once you adopt Google Docs, Chrome OS starts looking really good, and MS can't afford that. Plus, their Web apps can also act as an extension to the full desktop versions, so power users who need the full feature sets continue to buy the desktop versions, but casual users can use the web applications to consume and develop content. Example: ten people can collaborate on a proposal using the online tools, then a single editor can merge their text, format it, create table of contents and bibliography and finally publish the complete document using the full desktop version of Word.

Web versions of applications get a little better every year. It won't be long before they become indistinguishable from local apps. Of course there are some classes of applications that may never go web based, but office applications have been shown to be viable in the cloud. Not sure if something like Visio would be a fit though.

9. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Maybe this is why Microsoft scrapped the "Courier" tablet....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microsofts-courier-digital-journal-exclusive-pictures-and-de/

Microsoft for the first time in their "life" is hurting for market share due to Apple's success, so they may again (thought) start producing products for Apple again to jumpstart innovation, Remember "Applesoft" - for the the old-timers?

I am sue they are working on something to integrate their Windows phone with OneNote, but if they wanted to make a killing in the Apple world, a OneNote product for OS X would dominate for years to come...