The app store and it's decline

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone4UK, Jun 29, 2011.

1. iPhone4UK macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Looking at the app store does it seem to have abit boring and useless?
    Just look at the top 25 some lock screen thing, some sex thing and then some crap game? Anyone agree

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I don't purchase my apps based on what the current top 25 are. With that being said, there's thousands and thousands of apps out there, don't know how you could possibly be bored.

I personally have over 100+ apps on my iTunes, and I think that's a little too much.

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Nope. There's a bazillion apps. There's an app for virtually everything I'd ever need.

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I would be much more excited about the decline of the improper use of the contraction "it's."

:)

In all seriousness though, the App Store isn't going anywhere. There are tons of great apps on there, even if you have to wade through a number of useless ones.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Its*

What you've written is "The app store and it is decline."

It should be "The App Store and its decline."

Anyway, browse individual categories if you don't like the top 25, but I usually find at least one useful app on there.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. seble macrumors 6502a

It never hurts to search for something you are looking for, here I'll help get you started:

Apps for the Iphone

Go whine somewhere else next time please :)

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I agree, I don't use the top 25. I find you don't find much interesting that way. Though I do like the staff picks (that one is worth browsing every now and then. I find the "Apple Staff" seems to find some interesting stuff. Way better than what happens to be popular).

I find most of my apps these days by free app finders (some are better than others. The one I use most is FreeAppreport (that gets mostly games but it also gets some useful utility apps from time to time). You'd be amazed at some of the gems you find just by trying an app that was free for that day.

I also have my favorite game makers (GameLoft, Squaresoft) so I keep an eye on them (and I have an app that keeps an eye on prices of apps I'm interested in so I can see if anything I know I want goes on sale). I've also found a few rpgs based on people's comments here or a review of one game I'm interested in (like maybe looking up a game some one mentioned) mentioning another game (this is a great way cause it caters more to what you are looking for).

If all you ever go by is the top 25, you will really miss a lot. You are better off actually searching according to *your* interests for apps you want rather than relying that what you want is the same as what is selling the most.

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Download RJDJ - that should entertain you for awhile lol

10. outphase macrumors 65816

I get excited when I see something other than Angry Birds at the top. That's probably the only time I'd ever use the Top 25 to influence a purchasing decision.

11. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I smell troll feet.

I'm browsing through categories and the featured pages every single day. Can't imagine being bored with the App Store. I know it needs some improvements, but for God's sake just take solace in knowing you're not on the Android Market.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Check out App Shopper, too. It's perfect for finding the more obscure apps, or even for finding out when a popular app has had a price change.

13. heisenberg123, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

decline? there is constantly paid apps on sale even for free for days, this never use to be the case

FreeAppKing is good too, i check out App Shopper

14. ESPN macrumors regular

Not really, its still the biggest app store and ovistore android market has yet to even catch up.

15. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

No, it's pretty awesome. It's at least better than the competition's markets.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

People! This monumental number of 400,000 Apps is meaningless to you and I except for two things. The size of the store a) brings real devs and software to iOS and b) increases the likelihood of finding ONE SPECIFIC App you require.

I have a single homescreen. OmniFocus...check. Instapaper...check. Evernote...check. TweetBot...check. Byline...check. I want for no App as they all exist today.

17. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I do think the app store as a way to discover new apps is lacking.

18. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

There are several app discovery apps though these days, Discovr and Appshopper come to mind.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You have to admit, having to resort to a 3rd party source for app listings (or even to find an app) isn't very Apple like.

20. dqfay macrumors newbie

21. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

You don't think *what* is helpful? This thread? His opinion? The replies?

22. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple knows their demographic well.

Silly absurd apps appeal to many of the younger buyers operating with their parents money. For Apple it's not so much about the type of app is it is about making as much money as possible.

While this is completely normal and understandable, it's the way in which they go about it that is off putting in many instances.

Where Apple was once known as the company that build great computers that one could use for work or play, they have morphed into more of a toy company where entertainment and ease of use trump serious computing.

There are always the exceptions like the Mac Pro line and certain MBP's but largely we are witnessing the dumbing down of the product line.

It's about making it so easy to use, that Grandpa and Grandma can participate.

23. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Hey, I'm a younger buyer who buys with my own money, don't be judging so quickly! I also have very little interest in silly apps (unless they're fun for a few minutes, like the Vuvuleza app, but I'd still never pay for those).

I do agree about the dumbing down, though. The "iPadification" of OS X, as Engadget put it, is getting worse with every new release. Macs are becoming massive iPhones and looking at Lion, and the fact I can't even install it from physical media, I'm seriously considering jumping ship to Linux.

25. dellAbait macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Freeappalert dot com....

New list of free apps daily... Right now there is an app for $79.99 thats free! Its a business app that we likely wouldnt use but you see the potential here... Some great apps pass through that list...