Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
a few years ago when checking out the App Store, it wasn't uncommon to find at least one 'decent' app (an app that I would download and actually use and find useful). I feel like those days have been over for quite a while. The App Store seems chock full of colourful but familiar looking games, none of which intimate in the slightest that there is a new worthwhile experience to be had, not to mention a lack of enticing apps from other categories.

I welcome your thoughts

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Depends on what you use your devices for but I feel once you find the apps you need, everything else will feel useless. I have 7 apps from the App Store on my iPhone and 10 on my iPad.

Thing is, the store is bloated with photo-editing apps, terrible games, social networks or apps that are already services within iOS.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
a few years ago when checking out the App Store, it wasn't uncommon to find at least one 'decent' app (an app that I would download and actually use and find useful). I feel like those days have been over for quite a while. The App Store seems chock full of colourful but familiar looking games, none of which intimate in the slightest that there is a new worthwhile experience to be had, not to mention a lack of enticing apps from other categories.

I welcome your thoughts

The App Store is filled with a lot of frivolous garbage, which a majority of it is intended for a more juvenile crowd. There are productive applications that are helpful in the workplace or for personal use.

A lot of the applications that are one in the same, rarely even see downloads. And the developers fail to update the applications and allow them to stay stagnant on the App Store.

Not that long ago, Apple was going through the App Store and removing applications if they had not been updated or saw very little use. That needs to be a regular occurrence in my opinion, to weed the trash away from the applications that have relevance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galacticos

wynhou

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
They need to cut it down for sure. I don't really understand the need for "millions of apps" that sounds super ridiculous to me. Even hundred thousand apps.

Imagine going to grocery store and there are 80,000 types of apples to choose from?

They need to just cut out apps that haven't been updated for the past 5 years, apps that aren't 64bit etc. I think they are slowly doing that from their end.

Reactions: max2 and Galacticos

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think there's plenty of good stuff still coming out on the App Store, but most of it isn't for me (which is fine). What worries me more is that developers are finding it harder to make their paid apps sustainable.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.