The app switcher "card" isn't just a static screen capture

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gogurt48, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Here's something I didn't know. I thought the "cards" in the app switcher were just screen captures of the apps we've been running. But today I was playing a Yahtzee app and I activated the app switcher when it was my computer opponent's turn. To my surprise, the game kept on playing in miniature on the card in the app switcher.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The currently open app doesn't lose focus when bringing up the switcher. The most poignant example would be finishing off a panorama in Camera.app.

3. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

But was the game the active app? Or were you in another app when you went into the app switcher?

4. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

The game was the active app. I double-tapped Home while in the game. So, if I understand correctly now, only under these circumstances will a card stay "live," and then only the previously opened app?

5. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Sounds like it. Like sammich also said, it seems it'll keep animating the app while it's in "card mode" because it's still technically the active app.

I think it would be interesting to test the new multitasking features this way, though. Perhaps with Mail? Have mail open, then switch to another app, and then bring up the switcher again. Then send yourself an email from your computer and see if Mail updates in the switcher while it's not the active app.

6. sexiewasd macrumors regular

A properly programmed background app isn't going to update it's UI even if it's still running and pushing notifications, so even if all cards are live previews only wasteful and poorly programmed apps would take advantage of that at this point.

7. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

The backgrounded apps are DEFINITELY screenshots... ADC lecture said so, trust me.