The Apple 14 Day Refurb Trial

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robster3, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robster3, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013

Robster3 macrumors 68000

We have had 2 x MBPr refurbs in the last few months to test out. 15" for myself over Easter liked it sent it back and got a brand new one from Good Guys online here in Australia for 10% discount and 18 mths Interest free.
    And just did the same again with a 13" for my wife.
    Who else uses the Apple free trial period.

2. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I don't get it. Why would you get a refurb just to send it back for essentially the same laptop............albeit more expensive than the refurb?

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

he got a 10% discount for the new rMBP from the good guys, its kinda like bestbuy of australia.
    i think thats the reason he return the refurb.

4. Robster3, Jun 17, 2013

Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes and a 2013 model and 18 mths interest free.

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

wondered how did you get a 10% off?

do you have any promotional codes or something? :rolleyes:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is no free trial period. What you're doing is using the 14-day return window as your personal test drive. To each their own, but don't wander around calling something a free trial when it is not. You're wasting time of people who have to look at that machine again once you're done playing and you seem rather proud of yourself.

7. Serrat macrumors newbie

I wouldn't usually do anything like that, but now that Apple is making it impossible for me to get my hands on a MBA before I get home to Norway (5-year warranty opposed to 1). I am thinking about trying out a computer while in Spain to see if I have settled on the right configuration.

8. Robster3, Jun 17, 2013

Good guys online, got a 13" MbpR last night. Base model $1483 with delivery. IF on any GE card up to 18 mths. Got a 15" same way at Easter too.

----------

if i am going to spend nearly 4k on laptops i want to be sure they are what we want. 5 mins in a shop doesn't cut it. They were refurbs not new ones.

I am the one taking the risk as the new ones we did buy don't have a 14 day return policy like Apple.:eek:

9. bkribbs, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

bkribbs macrumors 65816

I believe that's what the price is for 10% off.

10. GoCubsGo, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple has a 14 day return policy on new machines. It would behoove you to read the return conditions. :rolleyes:
    If I'm not seeing a return window as a trial period then so be it. You can spend as long as you wish in the shop.

11. Robster3, Jun 17, 2013

I live a 7 hour drive from a Apple store, not everyone lives in a city with a Apple store.
    Both times i happen to find a better deal within the 14 days so why not.

There is no 14 day return policy when you buy from a non Apple store here in Australia.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

So basically you are shafting the nice guy who offers you a 14 day return by trying the product, liking it, and returning it anyway.

Then rewarding the other guy who doesn't offer a return because their price is slightly less (maybe because they don't offer a return period).

Then coming here and congratulating yourself. Have I got this sequence right? What was the point? Asking more people to do so the nice guy eventually changes their policy and not offer a 14 day return period? :rolleyes:

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Smart move OP by deleting his own post. You know that people can still see your post if it's quoted? lol.

14. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh no didn't know :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I like my apple products and have a house full but some of the responses are just a?>:?L licking.

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I don't see how people's replies are 'a?>:?L licking'. Though what you've done is not wrong but you are abusing the policies. Imagine if everyone is like you, many companies will not have return/refund policy.

16. Robster3, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

So what would you do, you get a 15" refurb, during the 14 days you find a 10% discount ($250) plus 18 months interest free on a brand new 2013 model. Keep the refurb?

I don't see the problem Apple offer 14 days no questions asked return. If they don't want people to try their products then don't offer it?
    It applies to everything they sell, you could get a phone case and not like it and send it back, what's the difference with a computer. Its their rules not mine.

And who said its abusing the policy, 14 days no questions asked. Show me where they say you can't return in the 14 days. Do you work for Apple?

And for the record i have had Apple sales people on the phone talk me into getting a product using the 14 day return policy as a closer to get me to buy. So don't cry to me about if everyone does it they will stop. They promote it. please.

17. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

I think that the return policy is for people who are genuinely unsatisfied with the product or other reasons just like your case.

but saying that it is fine to buy a product with the intention of returning the product later on is morally wrong though not illegal.
    :rolleyes:

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I was referring to you 'renting' Apple's product. That's abusing the policy.

I never said there is any problem to it. I said if everyone is 'renting' it then every company will not allow any return/refund because people are abusing it.

Did I ever say that you can't return in 14 days? Nope. Please read carefully. I said if your purpose is to 'try out' then return it then you are abusing it. As mentioned, you are not wrong but abusing the policy.

19. skolvikes macrumors newbie

Please people, get off your moral high-horses. It's not that big of a deal. As someone who worked in Apple Retail for 3 1/2 years I can assure you there are a lot worse things that people do. Why do these threads have to turn into so much drama all of the time?

20. Robster3, Jun 18, 2013

Show me where Apple say if you get a laptop to try and return in 14 days is abusing their policy? Source please.

After all its their policy not your's. I am sure they know what they are doing.

Actually just for your own piece of mind give them a ring tomorrow and say you want to buy a laptop to try out and you will return it if you are not happy and see what they say?

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    The deleted posts have been restored to retain the integrity of the discussion, and the thread locked as it appears the OP does not want to discuss this topic any longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.