The Apple Dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris57, May 8, 2008.

  1. chris57 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2007
    #1
    I made a post like this a few months ago, but the circumstances have changed, and I need advice. As of right now I have $500 in cash. I'm in desperate need of an upgrade from my eMac. Most of the issue is lack of hard drive space, so I need at least an 80 gb hard drive. I play the Sims 2 occasionaly, and light video editing in iMovie, but most of the time I'm listening to music or surfing the web. I know I'll be able to get at least $200 for my eMac, and I can take a few hundred out of the bank.

    I'm having trouble making a decision. I want my budget to be under $900, but I would be reluctantly willing to go higher. I thought about a Mac Mini, but the lack of monitor is kinda a deal killer for me. I'm leaning strongly towards a refub base MacBook. There was a 2.0 gHz for $850 in the store about an hour ago, now its gone. Can anyone offer any help? I'd like the mini a lot better if it had more power, which might happen in June. I don't want to buy a MacBook and have it be updated so the price drops. Sorry if i'm being confusing, but its hard for me to get all of my concerns out! Thanks in advance.
     
  2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

    CaptainChunk

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    Tempe, AZ
    #2
    For $949, you can get a refurbished iMac 20" Aluminum 2.0GHz C2D directly from Apple. That one has 1GB of RAM, 250GB hard drive and dedicated ATI graphics.

    I'd only look at a MacBook if you need a portable machine.
     
  3. NP3 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2003
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #3
    keep in mind anything intel you get will be screaming! compared to your emac. So a mini might work for you.

    you only mentioned hard disk space being a crunch..since you have a desktop could you get a cheap(er) external hard drive to hold you out till you could get something you really want?
     
  4. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #4
    Any intel mac will be much faster than eMac. Looks like you want a portable. Get Core 2 Duo if that's the case (Core Duo consumes more power and runs a bit hotter).
     
  5. netnothing macrumors 68040

    netnothing

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Location:
    NH
    #5
    Be careful with the lowend MacBook refurbs if you want to burn DVDs. The lowest ones are the base models with the Combo drive.

    Here's a 2.2Ghz white MacBook for $999 in the refurb store:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FB062LL/B

    If you need the portability, then go with the MacBook. Otherwise look at the iMacs.

    Stay away from the Mini until the rumored refresh comes. It's way to outdated for your budget considering you'd have to get a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

    -Kevin
     
  6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
  7. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

    TravisReynolds

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle
    #7
    I would go with the MacBook. The MacBOok and iMac that you would be looking at basically have the same specs. You can always add a mointor later as well. Plus you can play the Sims when you are on the road:)
     
  8. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #8
    I'd say get a refurb iMac, you won't regret it.
     
  9. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2007
    #9
    Wow it didn't take long to get a lot of replies! Some of you say iMac, some say MacBook. Both look very good to me, the only thing keeping me from the iMac is the extra $100. But I get a bigger hard drive, a superdrive, and a dedicated graphics card. So that $100 is actually buying me a ton. Hmm, I feel like i'd have a hard time spending $1000 on a computer (though a fantastic one at that!) I'm definitely going to stay away from the mini at least until they get updated. Thanks, I definitely still need to think about everything.

    EDIT:
    I just thought of a couple more questions I could ask.
    1. Say the new MacBooks come out in June, when is the earliest I could expect them in the refurb store.
    2. Is there any coupons/codes that I could use to get a discount when buying a refurb?
     
  10. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #10
    1. Umm well at least 2-5 months after the release.
    2. Not that I know of, but sometimes when new models are released, or about to, Apple lowers prices on refurbs.

    Honestly man, having owned both a Macbook and an iMac, the iMac was much better. Unless you need portability, stick with the iMac, you won't regret it.
     
  11. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

    iknowyourider

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    onanorthboundtrain
    #11
    Chris, This sounds like good advice. Great specs for a great price. Unless you need portability, the imac is great.. Go ahead and spend a few hundred more than you planned and you will enjoy a nice mac for a long time. You can get a warranty off ebay next year before 365 days passes.
     
  12. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #12
    Don't forget you get a 20" monitor with an iMac compared to 13" with the MB and it's a nicer screen at that.

    The imac is quieter too. I had both in the last few months too. I sorta wanted portability, but the MB just wasn't there for me. I much prefer the iMac. And it's portable enough around the house.
     
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #13

    Buy an external harddisk for now.
     
  14. ozmerelda macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    #14
    Penny Wise and Pound foolish!

    $100.00 is not a lot of money over time. You probably can save $100.00 by eating cereal instead of pizza, drinking water instead of soda or beer or wine.
    Walking or biking or carpooling when possible. Cigarettes? stop! Drugs? stop.

    Good luck

    OZ
     
  15. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2007
    #15
    It looks like I'll most likely go with a iMac. You guys all helped me immensely in my decision, I'll post if I have any more questions. Thanks!
     
  16. flipperanubi, May 9, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

Share This Page