The Apple IP7 Full Court Press

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 12, 2016.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

...to use a basketball phrase. The Apple marketing machine is running at 110%! To overcome the fact that the look of the phone has stayed the same for the third year, and the resolution remains dismal, Apple has done the magician's slight of hand trick, hey, "look here". Yeah, the camera is great, the processor is wonderful, etc. Most promo photos show the Ip7 and plus in black, to hide the huge chin and forehead. Apple drags out the usual editorial guys, like DED, and the usual Verge pundits who rave about the phone and how great it is. Folks, this is marketing 101. Sit back and enjoy and appreciate it. I will wait for the Iphone 8.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Only the outside housing has remained the same. Sure, I'd like a new design, but actual hardware upgrades are much more important than my friends being able to tell that I have the newest and greatest.

3. Nozuka macrumors 68000

almost everything inside was upgraded. and the display was upgraded. both in colors and brightness. it's one of the bigger iphone upgrades so far. don't be fooled by the design.

i don't think we need a higher resolution. you might bring up VR, which i have tried on my S7 myself, but for (gear) VR even the S7 resolution is too low. or at least the spacing between the pixels too big. i was not able to enjoy it.

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

But they're incremental at best, if it means a screen will load a microsecond faster than last years mode is it worth another $700? It feels like they update for the sake of keeping up with their annual release rather than to really offer a significant upgrade.

5. Nozuka macrumors 68000

it has always been like that.

6. Rafterman macrumors 68000

A phone isn't a fashion statement for most people. Its the guts that matter, like a wicked fast processor, better camera, 3GB RAM (for the Plus at least) and 256GB of storage. The resolution could have used a bump up maybe, though 1920 x 1080 is just right for HD movie watching though.

The upgrade isn't for everyone, but for man people, it upgrades just the right areas.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

This is essentially an "S" series upgrade, and it's a pretty good one if you look at it that way. We're getting better internals all across the board, processor, camera, battery improvement and more storage. Very rarely do you get that much change in an S series upgrade.

For people who regularly upgrade every year, this is just as good an upgrade as any other year, perhaps better.

8. bcroft686 macrumors member

bcroft686

Yes.... they're using marketing to sell their products, what a weird concept.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

A company tries to emphasize its strengths and hide its weaknesses?

In other news, fire is hot and water is wet.

10. Nozuka, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

Nozuka macrumors 68000

Let's make a list:

- A10 - faster as always ;)
    - 256GB max and 32GB base storage
    - display brighter and better colors
    - stereo speakers (people have been asking for this for years)
    - bigger battery
    - better camera
    - better quad-LED flash
    - better facetime camera
    - water resistance
    - home button that won't wear out after a few years
    - 50% faster LTE
    - improved taptic engine
    - 3GB RAM on the plus

did i forget anything?

11. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

Well good for you sir, if you're so certain, confident and happy with your decision or believes, what are you are doing here? Why make this thread, venting or you just simple enjoy a little debate?

Its not really Economics or Marketing 101 its a bit simpler. You see the phone, you like or need a new one, you have the money, you buy. Good bye.