The Apple logo makes you more creative?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by icanhasiphone?, Mar 20, 2008.

1. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

2. jmadlena Guest

Makes sense. Perceptions carry a lot of weight with people.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not a chance. Subliminal messaging was disproved long ago; the only psychologic effect here is the ability of the mind to warp an experiment's results to reach the preferred outcome.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No. Drugs do, though.

Just kidding. Seriously, what kind of question is this? What's next? Do we jerk off looking at keynotes?

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Bingo. At least that's what they tell me in business school...

Knowing academia, maybe I should start a great company focused solely on subliminal advertising.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Subliminal messaging is actually very potent, it just is dependent on the suggestability of the person being tested - some people's brains naturally have more alpha waves than others.

One reason TV advertising is so effective (hence why companies spend hundreds of millions a year on it) is that the brain waves as you're watching are more dominantly alpha, or in other words, in a more suggestive state of mind. The effect is that people are more likely to believe what they hear and see: The car looks better never mind the price, the cereal look tastier never mind the sugar, etc etc or wahtever.

I'm not saying you can blindly hypnotise people with subliminal advertising, but it does work surprisingly well; It's really well nigh impossible to disprove it's success, since the experience of seeing or hearing certain things can influence you long after the impact of the image or sound has stopped ringing from your eyes and ears.

If it didn't work, Derren Brown would be out of a job :D

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Personally, the Windows Blue-Screen-of-Death has had me trying some pretty creative things to make it go away.

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

You seem like you must know everything. I submit to your judgement. :rolleyes:

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're right, companies do spend hundreds of millions of dollars each year on advertising; however, they do not spend any of this money on subliminal messaging. Why? It doesn't work, and every advertising agency knows this.

Quite the contrary, it's very simple to either prove or disprove it's success, using a series of simple experiments.

To date, no reliable studies have proven the usefulness of subliminal messaging.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My point is not whether or not it has been proven, since you can prove it both ways (and it has been proven both ways).

The point being that the significance of the effect is entirely dependent of emotional and neurological triggers - therefore whether or not you respond enough to measure or not.

It is virtually impossible to conclusively prove it one way or the other since everyone is different. To disprove subliminal messaging based simply based on a clinical sampling of a few hundred also would then disprove why memory functions the way it does: We've heard someone say "That reminds me of <blank>" - we cannot help or hinder why something reminds us of something we've experienced or heard, smelled, tasted, seen in the past. What triggers the memory of certain things? Subliminal messaging would be completely useless if the individual had utterly no experience whatsoever.

k I'm done...

11. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Well, I don't think it has been proven both ways--I think it has been CLAIMED proven both ways ;) One of which has documented scientific method behind it.

That said, you can do something subtle that IS noticeable, or talk about memories, etc., call it "subliminal," and get a result. Once the terms are truly agreed on, there's less room for debate of the results. (And what you describe with memory certainly includes real and established phenomena, with smell being especially powerful.)

And flashing ANYTHING in my face makes me more creative :) Or at least annoyed.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I cannot claim that the Apple logo makes me more creative.
    But I do know the MS Windows logo makes me more apprehensive…
    ;)
    :D