Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by kettle
I think anything but a one button optical puck is out of date.
Bring back the puck so that I can control my mousing with a thumb and two fingers. I want my arm, wrist and edge of hand to remain on on the table whilst manouvering the mouse like a cross-section of a fat pencil.

Kettle, I've never thought of the puck mouse as ergonomical, but your description of use is intruiguing... Are you saying that you use it with your hand on-edge, as if you lowered it to the desk after shaking someone's hand? I saw a piece on TechTV explaining how that wrist posture is so much better for you. And here's the mouse they said is more comfortable to use: http://www.evoluent.biz/ .

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I can solve the input device issue with two words: foot pedals. We use our feet when we drive a car. We use our feet when we play the piano. Why are they under your desk or table doing nothing at all while your hands are trying to deal with mouse buttons and modifier keys?

at work that could be done, but at home i rarely sit forwards in my chair or have my feet on the ground.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: simplicity and upgradability

Originally posted by comrade
Ragging on some guy's grandpa, yeah...that's cool.......

I guess I don't have to take you seriously, ever.

Perhaps i am the only positive person here, but I interpreted the comment by markjones as a chuckle at the comment at the way acj phrased his grandfather's condition, and then offering condolences by saying it was sad that his grandfather had that problem.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
personally, I can't live without a scroll wheel and a right click,
but if I had never used a multifunction mouse I probably wouldn't
mind the pro mouse.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by idkew
at work that could be done, but at home i rarely sit forwards in my chair or have my feet on the ground.
OK, I'll modify my proposal: Instead of foot pedals, home users can use Mac Slippers with motion sensors. They are fuzzy, with Jaguar heads (not bunnies) on the toes. You move your foot in a certain direction to control the computer.

Today I'm using a one-button Apple mouse on the right of the keyboard and a PowerMate on the left (with an IceMate under it). That's two-handed control, but still not the four-limbed control you'd get with foot pedals and slippers.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
I love the pro mouse. I have a MS explorer optical trackball, and a kensington studio mouse, and I use the pro mouse the most.

I am so used to ctrl-click, I ctrl-left click with the two button mouse anyway, haha.

The pro mouse is the best mouse made, IMO.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Apple Pro Mouse

I'd have to agree; I think the Pro Mouse is great too.

The fact that it is only one button doesn't make too much difference to me as I'm used to control-clicking- and I'm a switcher too. I'm also a Graphic Designer/Illustrator and spend 5-6+ hours per day in front of the computer. My hand rests quite comfortably on the Pro Mouse.

It's also dead-sexy. I have the white one, and with the iBook it makes a perfect match.

I wasn't a big fan of the CRT iMac mice. They were a little too small and used to get all twisted.

And those ultra small mice? Say hello to hand cramps and carpel tunnel syndrome.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well I am probably about the only person that still uses the "hockey puck" on my iMac, but I guess I am too cheap to buy another mouse. ;o)

I do have a pro mouse that I use with my iBook at school and I like it, but I still sorta like my hockey puck, nuts huh?

I like the one button, control/click setup, after using Macs for years and years it feels pretty natural to me. I think however they should offer a mouse option with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel for people that would prefer that.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I should have mentioned that the PowerMate scrollwheel works exactly as advertised, but that the IceMate (I got the clear one) produced very little of the light-enhancing effect they promise, despite their talk of "remarkable light transmission properties." It did fit the PowerMate perfectly, but I'm sorry I bought it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Well I am probably about the only person that still uses the "hockey puck" on my iMac, but I guess I am too cheap to buy another mouse. ;o)

I do have a pro mouse that I use with my iBook at school and I like it, but I still sorta like my hockey puck, nuts huh?

I like the one button, control/click setup, after using Macs for years and years it feels pretty natural to me. I think however they should offer a mouse option with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel for people that would prefer that.

i could get over the 1 button thing really fast. they don't so much need a 2 button mouse as one with a scroll wheel. that has to be one of the more innovative designs in ergonomic computing in the last decade, if not the most. apple is really missing the boat there.

alexlai5050

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2003
yea i use control click on my 3 botton mouse but there no scroll whcih annoys me man
do all you guys just sit in front of the pc and just read this stuff
cus i cat do that i get to board
but im very greatful how much these forums help me

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Two-Button Alternative to Pro Mouse

For those who are looking for two button alternative mice to the apple pro mouse, try the link below.

http://www.macmice.com/mouse_1.html

I, for one would like a two-button scrolling mouse, but none of them on the market LOOK good enough to replace my pro mouse. I realize that it may seem superficial, and it largely is, but I have a g4 cube with a 15 inch ADC flat panel, and a powermate, and I don't want a pc mouse in the mix. I figure if I am going to spend my money replacing a perfectly good mouse, (which I have no problem with, actually) it is going to have to be better in every respect, including looks.

I hate to say it but the aftermarket mice just look like pc mice. The pro mouse looks and feels good, but as many here have said, those who want more functionality can have it. the macmice mouse looks like what apple should do with a two button, scrolling optical mouse (has a cord, but nothing is THAT perfect, yet) but who knows what the future will bring with bluetooth wireless technology.

BTW - replacing a broken Pro Mouse is 50$ (est), yet the macmice two-button mouse is less money for more buttons, something like 40$...

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Two-Button Alternative to Pro Mouse

sorry for the duplicate post, I don't think I tried to post it twice, but navigating "back" may have accidentally done that.

-carry on

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
that does look quite sexy.... i might be tempted if it were not for the price >_<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.