The Apple Mouse

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I could make up some long story and so could others. We could have have a lot of fun with this. The truth is that Apple feels that users only need one button. There have been many rumors about a two button (or more) Apple mouse. I don't see it happening any time soon. One click is fine with me (except for gaming).

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I bought it b'cos it is cool but now when i'm using it, i kinda regret for not listening to the guy at the Apple Store who said, "it's not practical and it's not worth the price"
:(

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have no problems using the one button, i hardly ever need to control click either so it works out well for me i guess, but to each their own i suppose, different people, different uses

quidire

macrumors 6502
The short answer is that Apple decided sometime back that were they to move to two buttons (we're talking late 80s here) that the advantage of the second (contextual menus) would become a crutch for 3rd party software developers. (this was the same reason the Mac didn't ship w/ a command line interface; ISVs might not have made GUI programs but just had all their programs remain text driven to run in "DOS" boxes) Given an easy assumption that users will eventually try the contextual menu, they would cease to bother to have interfaces that provided functionality in an intuitive fashion. This proved to be a reasonable concern (you do see context menu hell in Windows apps)... and yet for gaming more buttons is a necessity.

I just have two; a one button bluetooth mouse for most things, and a wired "gaming mouse". I find it a reasonable compromise as I don't like using wired mice most of the time, but for games few wireless mice can be relied upon.

-RS

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Using OS X and applications is much easier when using a proper control device. The one-button mouse is good on a laptop because the Control button on the keyboard is always near the trackpad, but it is very annoying on a desktop. My Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms have decreased significantly since I began using a trackball.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
quidire said:
I just have two; a one button bluetooth mouse for most things, and a wired "gaming mouse". I find it a reasonable compromise as I don't like using wired mice most of the time, but for games few wireless mice can be relied upon.

-RS
That's what I do as well. And the wired mouse is a requirement for when the BT mouse doesn't pair automatically for some reason or other.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I finally have a desktop so i can have a one button mouse (aside trackpad) and i use the one button for a lot of things, but i love my studio mouse

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
For people who play World of Warcraft : do you see a need to have a multiple-button mouse? I have no idea how the user interface is set up, but I imagine if it is like any other game I've played, there are about 4 dozen reasons to right-click.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
aboutthat said:
Oops. :p The irony is just killing me...
Air traffic controllers are warning of large masses of unidentified objects in the airspace, appearing to originate from Cupertino and making aberrant oinking sounds. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.