The apple on the lid- is it normal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XTRanger, Nov 11, 2007.

1. XTRanger macrumors member

recently, when i took a closer look at the apple logo on the lid of my MBP, i saw that there was this middle spot that seemed as if there is some moisture or something.

Was wondering if anyone else has a apple logo with that anomaly. please see the picture. should i take it to a Apple store? i have not had any water spill on it.

you can see this only when looked from an angle, and when it is not glowing. if you look straight on, its not as obvious. everything on my computer is working fine.

Attached Files:

• mbp.jpg
      mbp.jpg
      File size:
      283.8 KB
      Views:
  2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

My MB doesn't have this... wonder what it is...

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Is your Apple logo recessed a little bit into the lid? It looks like it from the picture. If that's the case it looks like it is just wearing in the middle from being rubbed up against stuff, which makes sense if it is recessed. Mine is flush with the lid and is probably wearing more evenly.

4. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

it may look recessed on the picture, but nope- its in line with the metal lid. and to me it looks as if the anomaly is inside the apple- the outside looks just fine and polised as every other place.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not seen this on my MBP (yet), but my powerbook looked exactly like that. I put it down to the polishing effect of the sleeve I used to transport it in and, just maybe, heat aging of the plastic (which would get hotter in the center than the edges due to the heatsink properties of the casing).

Never affected performance of the powerbook in any way, so I never really worried about it...

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Yeah, i just turned my screen's brightness all the way down and it has the illusion of being recessed, but mine doesn't look like that. I seems like if it were water however, that you'd be experiencing some significant problems already. I think it will come down to whether you'll feel better taking it in or just living with it.

7. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

im a little reluctant to believe that this is caused by the case/otherstuff rubbing and polishing the apple logo off. this is because the MBP almost always sits on my desk- I rarely ever move it in a case. I purchased it in june- and i have put it in a case for at the most 10 times.

rest of the time, i just unplug it, and maybe take it to the living room or something simple like that.

i just dont want to go to the apple store and look like an idiot trying to "fabricate" a problem that does not exist.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

My MBP had it did you whipe it down with window clear, I noticed mine after i did it, it went away in a few hot days.......

9. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

Nope. only wiped it with dry swiffer cloths...

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I have the very same thing in my MBP as well, with the only difference being that it is on the inside. In other words, it seems as if the patch is developing within the logo.

Anyone else having this issue?

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The Apple logo is simply white paper behind an Apple shaped whole that is filled with clear plastic. So the color could be either A. Sun bleaching of the paper, or B. The paper static clinging to the clear plastic. Either way it is no cause for concern and not worth the fix effort.

12. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

If the logo has a white paper, then everything makes sense- a static cling in my case.

My understanding was that it was just the LCD panel behind the transparent, plastic "filler" in the apple cutout on the lid.

13. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

I checked out my GF's new MB earlier tonight and it looks the same when shut down or sleeping. No worries.

14. smadder macrumors member

Take it in.

I know it's an entirely different screen, but I had the same thing happen on my brand new SRMB. It's got a "patch" that looks watery from an angle on the apple, but it also appears in different spots on my screen when viewed any other way but dead-on straight. And this was right out of the box. I'm waiting for the nice other box to come from DHL so I can send it in for what will probably be a new screen.