Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driftway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Since ATT is shipping the iphone 6 plus in November, I thought I could try Apple online, but they are only offering the 2 year plan or Next, both of which are inferior to buying the phone full price, for me (my company will pay for a phone, but not for installments).
I thought I could wait in line friday, but I bet the store guys are using the same online process, and won't let me buy the phone for full price! So, the Apple store option is dead.

Is anyone going direct to ATT stores friday? Could that speed up delivery?

PTVMan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Why not just go to the Apple Store on Friday, buy the phone using NEXT and then pay it off immediately? Wouldn't that get you what you want?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
You're asking questions to which we don't know. If you want to get a phone outright i suggest using next or going to the apple store on friday. Good luck.

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Buy the TMobile version from the Apple website. It's GSM unlocked and will work on ATT. There is a thread about it on here.

PTVMan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
you can't pay it off immediately, you have to make 2 monthly payments before you can.

There's another thread here that says paying off immediately is permissible if NEXT is done without a trade in. I reconfirmed this yesterday with ATT. I'm buying my iPhone 6 using NEXT and paying it off next week, then getting it unlocked. I have ATT gaurantee that this is okay. Then again, it is ATT so there's always a chance they'll screw me over :(

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
You can pay it off immediately.

If you can't, and have to wait three months, who cares? Pay the two months, then pay it off (same cost as paying it outright). Then you can unlock after you pay it off.

cs33

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
As said before just buy the T-mobile one online. It's the exact same as the AT&T one just unlocked.

Exactly. This is what I did. The T-Mobile one comes unlocked to use with any carrier. It is just the AT&T one, except without a carrier activation policy.

rmn1644

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Was just at the apple store - they wouldn't sell me a full priced phone. Said they only sell phones with contracts and were more than happy to sell me a phone as part of my contract.

Hard to believe you can't buy something you want. Especially when it costs $750.

jboggs85

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Was just at the apple store - they wouldn't sell me a full priced phone. Said they only sell phones with contracts and were more than happy to sell me a phone as part of my contract.

Hard to believe you can't buy something you want. Especially when it costs $750.

Which carrier and Apple Store?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Since ATT is shipping the iphone 6 plus in November, I thought I could try Apple online, but they are only offering the 2 year plan or Next, both of which are inferior to buying the phone full price, for me (my company will pay for a phone, but not for installments).
I thought I could wait in line friday, but I bet the store guys are using the same online process, and won't let me buy the phone for full price! So, the Apple store option is dead.

Is anyone going direct to ATT stores friday? Could that speed up delivery?

I walked into my Apple Store here in Charleston last Thursday after work and paid outright Device Only an iPhone 6 64gb for $749. Don't know why you can't at your store. When I asked if I could purchase Device Only, he said absolutely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.