The Apple philosophy.......

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by itsjustmeee, Jan 4, 2009.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Not personally knowing anyone that works at Apple to ask this question and fairly new to this site, I'm curious about everyone's opinion as to why Apple seems to ignore certain basic things with their products and their philosophy in general. For example, why wouldn't they just have a two-button mousepad on the MacBooks from the get-go, or simple voice dialing on the iPhone (or allow GPS or cut and paste)? These seem to be such basic, but important things. Living in California, you can't talk on the phone without being hands-free, and now you can't text while driving ... all wonderful laws, but knowing that it's a major distraction to take your eyes off the road to look for a contact instead of just voice dialing like the most basic phone can do seems odd to me. And something as easy as a 2nd mouse button as well. Holding down the control key on my MacBook is just fine, but it's a lot easer to just have a second mouse button! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Apple fan and I own pretty much every one of their products and they seem to get it right the vast majority of the time, but they seem to "dig their heels in" with some pretty interesting options....... any opinions why?

2. macmike47 macrumors regular

Two-buttoned mouse: why turn the seamless design of one button into two, unless it's absolutely necessary? I find the mighty mouse works well with right-click and on my white MB I love the two-finger tap. In the new MacBooks, they've even gone a step further in removing the button altogether. Yet without compromising functionality. I think they paid plenty of attention to design and their philosophy in that respect.

Voice-dialling/ Picture messaging: I think these are probably features Apple left out first of all, with the knowledge that it would be no trouble at all to add them in later. I may be wrong, but I imagine the vast majority of people didn't use these features in previous phones, which is why they didn't make the cut into the necessary features of the iPhone (for now). Also, I guess they were trying not to clutter up the UI at first. As for copy/paste, this would probably be used by more people than voice-dialling or MMS, but maybe they're still figuring out the best way to implement it.

As Apple have said themselves, that's the joy of the iPhone: endless new features can be added through software updates. It's one step at a time, and in the order they see fit! ;)

Hope that helps. It's mostly just my guesswork & assumptions.