Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
So, there was a story a few days back about the Apple TV Wii-Like Remote and a picture of the patent filing.

patent-090312-1.jpg

Now, something that seems like it was overlooked by pretty much everyone in the press was little 918 there (or follow the line from the remote).

Yep, that's the same icon that the iPhone uses for the App Store! Could it be that an Apple TV App Store is actually in the works like many of us hope? Is the image just there to tease us, or did Apple let a little something slip in their doodle?

kennethkearns

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
I wish...

I wish it were true! I also see safari there and my biggest wish for apple TV is a full feature browser with flash (hulu).

My one concern is that I also see itunes and quicktime icons. Why would they be needed in addition to apple tv's software?

jmessiha

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
I want one!

But when did the last one come out? I noticed that the macrumors.com buying guide doesn't track Apple TV... what's that about?! :eek:

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
My one concern is that I also see itunes and quicktime icons. Why would they be needed in addition to apple tv's software?

I noticed those too, but, you know, stop spoiling my buzz! :)

I still think an Apple TV App Store with the Wii Remote unlocks SO much possibility!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That's actually Apple's generic icon for any application. I wouldn't read too much into it.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I wish it would happen but the iPhone App Store would have to be a whole different thing because of different resolutions. I can see a MacBook Touch app store though.

Very interesting; I like it. Would improve the value of the Apple tv.

And Customers would have a need to buy and Apple TV. I just hook up my MBP to our family TV all the time and use front row.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Right now, you need a computer to sync with AppleTV. Before, you even needed a computer for purchases.

Apple changed it so you no longer need a computer for purchases.

Now, what would be really neat is if you are able to make AppleTV the central Media server, maybe even hooking up an external drive, and syncing your iPods, iPhone/Touch (wirelessly), and computers to that - or just stream to your devices.

That could make it so that you don't even need a computer to enjoy the iTunes store!

The App store AppleTV for modules that report weather, sports, news, games on top of that.. :D

(I feel all *tingly* inside...) :eek:

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Now, what would be really neat is if you are able to make AppleTV the central Media server

I definitely think Apple needs something like that! My media collection has far outgrown my Apple TV hard drive and right now I stream, but it means I have to leave my computer on all the time (which is inefficient).

I'd love to see an Apple product that scales like the HP MediaSmart Server (with 4+ drive bays), but was more centered around the Apple ecosystem.

I don't know if this would be Apple TV, or a standalone device, but I'd buy it either way!

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
hmm...makes sense. I think if I were them, I'd maybe have two skus....1 as a tv media extender (it, current ATV, no HD, cheap cheap cheap). And 1 ATV/Media server. I mean, the ATV stays on all the time anyways. They could even offer this relatively cheaply with a small HD, as long as they open up the USB to up the storage.

Personally, I think Apple is too far down the wrong road at this point...but we'll see..

The only thing keeping me from getting an HPMSS, is the fact that i'd have to run windows version of itunes on it all the time. We all know how stable and great the windows version of itunes is...I'd be remoting into the stupid MSS on a daily basis to reload itunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.