The Apple Upgrade Program, hard pulls, credit score and being older!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaybar, Oct 10, 2015.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I am older, and don't plan to be buying a new home. Our car is paid for. Should I be concerned about hard pulls on my credit score, if I am upgrading yearly with AUP? I had no problems with initial approval.

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to do it again next year. I'm with Verizon and their plan was the same as Apples minus the mandatory AppleCare+ and hard credit checks. I'm trying so hard to get my credit as high as I can and this is the last thing I need. I hope they change it before next year, though I doubt it

3. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Why do you think Verizon doesn't do a credit check? To the OP it depends how many hard credit checks are on your record. Credit Karma website has some good information for those types of questions.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

We don't yet know what the 'renewal' process is. There is supposed to be a different process (soft pulls) for current customers of Citizens, which is what we will be next year. But then others have said they have been told it's a hard pull each time.

I think we need to wait for things to shake out over the yearly cycle.

As for your own credit history, I can't see how one hard pull will affect you; I'm in the same boat, more or less, with no large purchases coming up.

5. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

It's a new application each year, according to what I was told by a manager at an Apple Store. That would mean a hard pull each year, unless Citizens works something out, but given that they're a bank, I'd be surprised.

I prefer to use my hard pulls for great CC point offers for travel, but I can spare one a year for the newest iPhone. Everything else about the program is smooth and convenient.

6. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Right, but my point was, it hasn't happened yet so we don't really know. All that could be wrong info. :) Wouldn't be the first time.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There's a post on here somewhere where someone returned a device and got another and there report showed 2x hard pulls

8. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

No, my point was we don't know what will actually happen on 'renewals' until next year. I agree it doesn't look good based on that example. That should be a soft based on pre-existing relationship, I would think.

9. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Yes, that matches what the employee told me while I was setting up my UP. He said that the loan is tied to the device so if you utilize applecare + or otherwise get the device changed out they will do yet another hard pull credit check. The employee agreed it was ridiculous and said it was a work in progress and had heard things will be changing (take that with a grain of salt).

10. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

No, I wouldn't worry at all. Sure, a credit check is a few point ding for a few months, but part of having great credit is using it and maintaining it properly, not freezing every possible thing that might affect it. It's a cumulative effect, not one moment in time.

11. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding me?!? they really said that if you use the AppleCare+ they have to do another hard pull!!! if this is true this is the biggest garbage plan I have ever seen.

12. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Yeah, that makes no sense. There's no impact to the bank from swapping the phones.

13. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

The more that I hear about the Apple Upgrade program the more I want to wait it out and see if they change their policies. That many (potential) hard pulls just isn't worth it.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

This sounds more like a trash-your-credit plan!

15. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to check my eligibility without going to an apple store? That's quite a drive to possibly be denied.

16. Eileen89, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

Eileen89 macrumors 65816

You can try calling Apple. However, it is my understanding that this program must be signed up for in the store. Here's the link for Apples Terms & Conditions of their upgrade program: http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I returned a device and got another one and did not have a second pull.

18. mhdena macrumors 6502

Anyone making you a loan as the right to pull your credit.

Don't like it buy it out right somehow.