The Apple Watch is almost 2mm thicker than advertised

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kdarling, May 5, 2015.

1. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple has been advertising their Watch cases as being only 10.5mm thick.

apple-watch-dimensions-schematic1.png

Some people have used this value to diss other smartwatches such as the Moto 360, spec'd at 11.5mm (which includes its sensor pod and display).

A while back, I posted this question about the watch's actual dimensions:

Due to Apple posting their specs for wrist band makers, we finally have the schematics, which tell the true story. The Apple Watch is actually 12.46mm thick in total. Making it almost 1mm thicker than the Moto 360, not 1mm thinner as many had supposed.

apple-watch-dimensions-schematic4.png

Apparently Apple is only counting the metal case. But leaving out the sensor pod and display bulges (marked in red above) is a bit disingenuous, especially since the other two dimensions follow normal watch rules.

The thickness of a watch is normally defined as "the width between the case back and the top of the crystal." In other words, the entire watch, not just the middle section as Apple used.

2. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

3. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

Best way to test would be to just grab a dial caliper

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

This is not new information. We always knew it was just the case that was 10.5mm...

The way the sensor fits on my wrist the watch still basically wears like a 10.5mm watch not a 12.46mm watch, there is hardly any gap created from the sensor on my wrist but I suppose ymmv.

5. kdarling thread starter macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Really? Never heard that before, especially in comparisons and reviews.

That's why watches are measured in full. Some people have a nice cavity, some do not.

(Even with the cavity below, it looks like you have to count an extra ~1mm for the display on top.)

If we leave out the sensor pods, then a lot of watches are thinner than the Apple Watch. E.g. the Moto 360 would only be counted as about 9.5mm thick.

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Hmmm I see what Apple did there. It's all about marketing tactics, they didn't necessarily lie, but they did bend the truth into something that is still truthful and looks better on paper.

7. Smartdrive macrumors regular

I cannot confirm this because I haven't got my watch yet! :mad:
    Until then: Pics or it didn't happen.

Also, who gives a toss?

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Here is an article posted Sept 10, 2014. Link

And in that article the writer lists the specs as:
    So it obviously wasn't hidden.

9. whatos macrumors 6502a

I've decided it's easier to ignore the performance and configuration specs of Apples products, it's also a lot easier to ignore the dimensions. I've decided to just buy what looks interesting and ignore the details.

Apple does what Apple wants. Gets most of it close enough, and now with complete acceptance without comparing I'm just buying and using the various products.

10. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

11. amro macrumors 6502

Since the sensor kind of sinks into your skin, I don't count that thickness ;)

12. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I filed down the sensors so this isn't an issue for me.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I never bothered to measure. My only other watch is a Tag Heuer Link and it's apparently 10mm thick so no biggie here.

I'll take the extra mm or two for the functionality.

I could wear a Moto 360, but I think they're ugly.

14. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

No, you are wrong.

It clearly says in the ad which YOU have a picture of that the DEPTH is 10.5.

It does NOT say the THICKNESS is 10.5 (which is what you said in your headline).

Words matter.

15. matthijst macrumors regular

Wow. The replies here are laughable. Just when I thought fanboyism couldnt get any worse there's now people claiming depth and thickness are different?
    It's not like you can take off the glass and sensors when you wear the watch.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

So who are these "some people"? The complaint I've heard about the Moto 360 is that it looks like a hockey puck strapped to your wrist. It may be thinner at its thickest point than the Apple Watch, but the overall volume is much larger.

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Lolwut? Since words do in fact matter, please point us to somewhere, anywhere, that reliably defines the difference between the words "depth" and "thickness".

[​IMG]

18. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Really?... I mean its 2mm....

19. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Good find! Pretty unusual for Apple to misadvertise like this. I wonder if it's just a sloppy miscommunication between departments. There's so much sloppiness not only in watch's software, hardware design, launch, production, but even in simple Photoshop things:

- misaligned circles in manual:

[​IMG]

- enhancing contrast in a selection that isn't aligned with the case:

[​IMG]

- not respecting depth of field in photoshopped-in screen:

[​IMG]

Even waitresses notice all these little things. :rolleyes:

20. flur macrumors 68000

Wow, you're really milking that 5 nanoseconds of fame, aren't you?

21. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

The depth of a shelf is the front of the shelf to the back (such as a wall). Maybe 8-12 inches depending on the shelf type. For instance, a waitress would know not to put a 12 inch plate on a shelf whose depth is only 6 inches.
    The thickness of a shelf is the top of the shelf to the bottom, usually 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick for a wood type shelf. That same waitress would know not to stack too many plates on a shelf that is only 1/2 inch thick.

22. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's ok to admit you're wrong. Really.

23. dyt1983, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: remove personal identifiable info not relevant to the thread.

24. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

Well the Apple fans often touted this as a plus. How many the Moto's are so thick was posted here. Now it comes out that the apple watch is thicker.

25. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

The returning comment would be that the "case" may be that they just mean the actual case itself. Not essentially accurate but the 6 Plus doesn't take into account the camera lens etc. Marketting technique and all.