Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
(In my opinion and expectations for wearing something on my wrist) The Apple Watch is the best watch money can buy...... except when the battery goes flat.

I like everything about my apple watch, actually in contrast to the iPhone it has good battery life as well. But in contrast to other watches, it's got exceptionally terrible battery life.

I find it hard to believe apple were not able to design and build a better power source than a lithium-ion battery. Clearly some sort of kinetic energy recharge, perhaps mixed with a solar cell built into the screen, is going to be the killer feature of the apple watch "2"?

Thoughts? Opinions? Any information about apple patents and buyouts that could provide a hint?

A better power source in a smaller package is the Holy Grail in the electronics industry. Surley with all the money for R and D that Apple has they have used the best available today. Unless they come up with a more efficient batter,y Apple's best hope is to decrease the power usage by making the circuits more efficient.

I fear your will be disappointed in the AW2 as technology will likely not allow this until a few watches past the 2nd. Apple did not make the first watch the way it is just to pi$$ us off, they used the best technology available at a cost you could afford.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
In contrast to the iPhone it has good battery life; But in contrast to other watches, it's got exceptionally terrible battery life.

But yeah, I agree it can always last all day which is a good start compared to say the iPhone which can easily go flat within a day. However, this is just one more thing to charge and it would be nice if the apple watch didn't need charging each day. When people have showed interest in my watch, as soon as they know the battery lasts about a day, they are not really interested in many of the other features and I don't completely blame them.

If you have to charge your IPhone every night, why is it a big deal to charge the watch as well? The magnetic charger for the watch makes it as easy... Especially with a charging stand if you just want to hang the watch. That makes it really no different than taking off any other watch when you go to bed. You just have to make sure you put it in the same spot at night.

I used a Fitbit for 1.5 years. It's actually harder for me to remember to charge the Fitbit because it only needs to be done once a week or so. It's not routine, so I would forget if the device wasn't configured to send me an email when the battery is low. Even with the email reminder I forget sometimes. With the Apple Watch it's just part of my bedtime routine, although it doesn't actually add any time or complications to that routine. I usually have between 15 - 40% battery left when I go to bed.

Sean

Reactions: jaymc

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
In order to be even just a contestant for the title of "best smartwatch", the device must have an always-on ambient mode. iWatch is not even a watch in this sense. You have to tap it or raise to see the time. You can't, for example, put it on a table and glance time (for example, shaving while keeping an eye on time) like you can do with traditional watch or a smartwatch with ambient mode. It's more like a small smartphone on a band.

Reactions: kdarling

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Taking into account the above mentined the traditional wristwatch technology is more than four centuries old.
Of course, there's a difference between a watch which was only available to, or affordable by nobility in past centuries, and a device like Apple Watch, which most working people in the west could afford if they really wanted to.

Not to mention, watches from past centuries weren't anywhere as accurate (relative term when speaking of mechanical watches) as modern devices, or as reliable (also relative term), due to lack of modern materials and manufacturing techniques.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
In order to be even just a contestant for the title of "best smartwatch", the device must have an always-on ambient mode. iWatch is not even a watch in this sense. You have to tap it or raise to see the time. You can't, for example, put it on a table and glance time (for example, shaving while keeping an eye on time) like you can do with traditional watch or a smartwatch with ambient mode. It's more like a small smartphone on a band.

The technique of use reminds me of my first digital watch by Texas Instruments (TI-500) from the 1970s.

Attachments

• TI-500.jpg
    TI-500.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 95

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Exactly. Apple releases a product in 2015 that is as starved for energy as the one from 1970. It's a shame. As several "inferior" Asian companies proved, it's totally doable in 2014/15 to display watchface continuously for 1.5-2 days.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Exactly. Apple releases a product in 2015 that is as starved for energy as the one from 1970. It's a shame. As several "inferior" Asian companies proved, it's totally doable in 2014/15 to display watchface continuously for 1.5-2 days.

Of course the Apple watch has more demand for energy. Do you know how many functions 1970's LED watches had? Two: date and time.

My dad's 1972 pulsar LED also had a blank screen until you pressed a button. The batteries were not rechargeable of course.

The current state of battery technology requires compromises. For Apple to provide an always on display you will have to cut back on some features like background updates heart rate sensors or display brightness or quality. Or you can make the watch larger and heavier by building in a higher capacity battery.

Personally I am totally satisfied with the trade offs. I don't want a bigger watch or a lesser quality display. I don't want a slower watch or fewer features. I am totally okay with charging every night alongside my iPhone. It would be nice if Apple added an always-on mode as the OP suggests. There are times when that would be useful, and if used sparingly it wouldn't impact battery life too much. I actually prefer that the display be blank most of the time. That way people aren't able to see my notifications or upcoming appointments. The watch always responds quickly when I turn my wrist to look at it, and it goes off right away when I'm done.

Sean

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Stop the bickering - posts were removed because they crossed the line from debating the topic into argument/bickering.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It is about as insightful as the Op comment. Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion, but it is not much different than saying a Ford Focus is the best car you can buy.

"In my opinion and expectations for wearing something on my wrist" - clearly stated in OP's opening sentence. I agree with the OP. "For Me", the Apple watch is the best watch I can buy for what "I" want. I'm not interested in a Rolex or any other watch that just tells the time and date.

Sorry Maflynn, I didn't see your post above before responding.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Of course the Apple watch has more demand for energy. Do you know how many functions 1970's LED watches had? Two: date and time.

As samiznaetekto noted, he was talking about current smartwatches being able to have an always-on display.

The current state of battery technology requires compromises. For Apple to provide an always on display you will have to cut back on some features like background updates heart rate sensors or display brightness or quality.

My LG Watch R has a very bright always-on display. It gets constant updates. It's stainless steel, and can use regular bands. It goes a day or two without charging. And it's under $300.

Or you can make the watch larger and heavier by building in a higher capacity battery.

The Apple Watch is already thicker than other smartwatches like the Moto 360. However, it traded battery space for a rather large linear haptic actuator and speaker.

Personally I am totally satisfied with the trade offs. (...)

That's because you have no choice :)

Give Apple a few years, and we'll look back on this first model and wonder how we ever used it! Such is the way with technology.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It's not an understatement when I say the Apple Watch is having a positive influence on my life. Before it I was lazy and gaining weight, now I'm working out everyday which has led me to eat healthier and lose weight.

The overall experience of the Apple Watch is just very awesome. Activity updates and reminders thoughout the day, at a glance complications, subtle notifications, quick replies for messages, Apple Pay, etc.

Last edited:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
As samiznaetekto noted, he was talking about current smartwatches being able to have an always-on display.
Okay, but what's the big deal about that? I tried the Watch's raise-to-activate feature for the first day or two after buying, it worked flawlessly (for me) every single time, activating the display quickly and efficiently. Having the display glowing constantly accomplishes what precisely, other than wasting device power and wearing on the OLED pixels...?

Yeah, I know, analog watches don't need to light up, but so what. A smartwatch isn't an analog watch. They're not an old-fashioned digital watch either with segmented TN LCD screens. There's nothing that says it needs to follow old conventions for wristwatches just because it sits on our wrists. Smartwatches in general follow some of them, sure, but even a constantly lit up LG smartwatch doesn't follow ALL of them...! :)

It's an arbitrary distinction, making the perma-glowy status of the display a requirement. But sure, if you like your LG watch - more power to you of course.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's not an understatement when I say the Apple Watch is having a positive influence on my life. Before it I was lazy and gaining weight, now I'm working out everyday which has led me to eat healthier and lose weight.

A new girlfriend often has the same effect.

OTOH, it's one of the few comparisons where the Apple Watch is actually less expensive.

:D

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yeah, I know, analog watches don't need to light up, but so what. A smartwatch isn't an analog watch. They're not an old-fashioned digital watch either with segmented TN LCD screens. There's nothing that says it needs to follow old conventions for wristwatches just because it sits on our wrists.

True, although some people expect and need it always on.
  • Look at all the nurses/EMTs who immediately complained about the Apple Watch not staying on long enough to take a patient's pulse.
  • As samiznaetekto pointed out, you can lay always-on watches down, and still read the display while doing something else.
  • You don't have to make wrist movements to see the time while driving, bicycling, etc. Imagine free-climbing a cliff and having to shake a wrist free!
  • You don't have to wake up a partner who's under your watch arm, just to check the time in the middle of the night.
  • It's easier to not give away that you're checking the time at a meeting.
In short, there's good reasons why LCD watches took over from pushbutton LED watches, and it wasn't just the battery life, it was the ability to tell time at a glance without having to make special movements.

On the downside, they really need to have an ambient light sensor, to make sure they're not TOO bright at times!

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Just saying my experience after a few months of owning it. Not trying to argue with anyone.

I know, and I actually think it's wonderful if it helps people move more.

Although, I'm still trying to visualize Apple HQ, where they claim people randomly stand up in meetings because of it. Probably the only place on the planet where that's allowed!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I know, and I actually think it's wonderful if it helps people move more.

Although, I'm still trying to visualize Apple HQ, where they claim people randomly stand up in meetings because of it. Probably the only place on the planet where that's allowed!
It just encourages you to make up for it by working out early in the morning or at night :D

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Biases aside, can't we just all agree that the smartwatch market is improving and there are quality products from Apple, LG, Motorola, and Samsung, and that all of them have their own strengths and flaws? I never understood why everything has to be a competition.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Biases aside, can't we just all agree that the smartwatch market is improving and there are quality products from Apple, LG, Motorola, and Samsung, and that all of them have their own strengths and flaws? I never understood why everything has to be a competition.

We can. Absolutely.
And I don't think any of us doubt that the future is smartwatches.
(I remember my first "smartwatch" a Casio Data Bank from the 1980s, I still have it... and the new retro version as well :)).

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
My LG Watch R has a very bright always-on display. It gets constant updates. It's stainless steel, and can use regular bands. It goes a day or two without charging. And it's under $300.

And it's a very bad display.

With only 245 dpi, it's very grainy, compared to the 326dpi from the Apple Watch.

Also, it's huge, and build quality is very poor:

DSC08936.0.jpg

It can achieve that always on-screen, because it lacks resting hearth rate monitoring.

Even with an huge battery (they have space, because they lack the antenna for wireless charging), it only lasts a day for most users, even without always-on screen... a far cry from LG figures...

Reactions: rowdt1

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
+1

The Garmin Fenix 3 is my standard bearer for battery potential in a smart watch. The Garmin has WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS. It will last >20 hours with GPS fully active and 50 hours with GPS in an economy mode. It will last 6 weeks with GPS off in its watch mode. The Fenix 3 does not have all the AW's smart watch capabilities, and it is a bit larger and less attractive. On the other hand, it is rugged and waterproof to 10 ATM.

So, Apple simply choose to emphasize other features that burn battery at a massive rate. I am hoping that Apple figures out the secrets Garmin has discovered, so a future AW can have its own GPS and last more than a few hours.
i also have a GF3 i used to use it on my runs. I loved the battery life on it! didn't have to charge for DAYS. I have grown to love my apple watch so much though and the GF3 sits. :(

kdarling

macrumors P6
(picture of Apple Watch and Moto 360 snipped)

As I said...

Moto 360: 11.50mm thick
Apple Watch: 12.46mm thick

(re: LG Watch R)

And it's a very bad display.

Hardly. Over 15" away, it's a retina display. Think about where most people view their watch. Here's what they look like side by side:

lgr-vs-apple2.jpg

Also, it's huge, and build quality is very poor:

It looks like a regular men's watch. And it's built very nicely. Especially for the price. (You can see above that I did what many people do... polish the black off to get to the stainless steel.)

Even with an huge battery (they have space, because they lack the antenna for wireless charging),

Wireless charging antennas are super thin. The Moto 360 has one, and it's still thinner than the Apple Watch.

it only lasts a day for most users, even without always-on screen... a far cry from LG figures...

Not with the latest software updates.

So that I could speak with authority on the topic, I bought many of the current crop of smartwatches, and use them in (my) real life, with notifications all day.

I wear a watch 24/7. Currently, I swap between the Moto and LG every couple of days. When one gets low, I switch to the other. The Moto averages 24-32 hours per charge (depends on how much I'm using WiFi outside the house), and the LG goes up to 48 hours. With always-on display turned off, I can almost double those figures. In airplane mode, even the Moto goes 100 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: samiznaetekto

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

I was responding to this statement by samiznaetekto: "Apple releases a product in 2015 that is as starved for energy as the one from 1970. It's a shame."

The Apple Watch is already thicker than other smartwatches like the Moto 360. However, it traded battery space for a rather large linear haptic actuator and speaker.

For me the advanced haptics are the main reason I wanted an Apple Watch... not just for the ability to receive silent notifications but to also have the range of different types of haptic feedback for different types of notifications, turn based directions, etc. I also like having access to my frequently used third party apps, including glance views, on the watch. Will Apple eventually figure out a way to get more battery life out of the same form factor and feature set? Absolutely, but I am regularly going to bed with between 10% and 40% battery life and I don't mind connecting it to the magnetic charger on my nightstand each night.

Yes I realize that I have to be happy with the Apple Watch because I have no choice (well... there is Pebble). Actually... I did have a choice a couple of months ago. I almost switched from my iPhone 5 to an Android phone. In the end the improvements to iOS 8 and the features of the Apple Watch (especially haptics) convinced me to get an iPhone 6. Initially I was more attracted to the idea of a round smartwatch like the LG or Moto 360, but now I have gotten to really like the shape of the Apple Watch (or at least I am fine with either shape). The 38mm Apple Watch also feels like a better size for me. I am glad there is solid competition though... Apple needs to keep improving the hardware and software.

Give Apple a few years, and we'll look back on this first model and wonder how we ever used it! Such is the way with technology.

True... all of the watches available will improve in the next few years, but I am glad I did not wait :)

To me it feels at bit like the iPhone 3G. At the time of the 3G, iOS was more polished than Android, and there was more app support... but it was still a little buggy. Android caught up quickly, and both iOS and Android platforms improved dramatically in a couple of years.

Whether or not the Apple Watch is currently a good experience for someone depends on what their needs and expectations are. It is working very well for me and for the ways I use it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone unless they fully understood the negatives as well as the positives.

Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.