The Apple Watch wont become really useful until..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dexterbell, Apr 30, 2015.

1. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

its capable of being used independently of the iPhone. I know I'll get flamed for this but it needs to be said. I sold my Watch after 2 days after paying over retail for it on Craigslist. Its so dependent on the iPhone for everything, even native apps. Things like not being able to read most my emails and being told to read it on my iPhone was ridiculous. The Watch wont become a really useful device until it can be used in a pinch when you forgot your phone in your car and you're in the grocery store, or you leave it at home and you have to get somewhere and don't have time to turn around. Having to have your iPhone with you really defeats the purpose IMO. Who's this really benefiting aside from people just looking for a new toy to show off?

2. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

It was never intended to be used independently of an iPhone. Why is this so hard to grasp?

3. Processing June macrumors newbie

It's an iPhone accessory. It's entire purpose is as an iPhone companion. That's also what I want it to be.

/thread

4. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

This bit on nonsense has been brought up and responded to numerous times. You didn't do your research before you bought the watch and you are the only one to blame for your disappointment. For you the app is useless. For me, it's fabulous.

In 5 years, you may be able to get what you want. Just go away for now and come back in 5 years. I certainly hope you lost money on your transaction. That will help you learn to research new technology before you step into it.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What are you going to do when Apple make future models more than this?
    You not going to buy them, but stick with this model?

6. pmaynard macrumors newbie

You clearly don't understand what type of product this is, that is exactly why you returned it. It is not meant to be independent of the iPhone. Coming from a pebble for two years I fully understand what this product is and it does exactly as described.

7. ventmore macrumors 6502

Works great for me...and many others.

It works as advertised, so just wondering why you bothered to pay over the odds in the first place if that's how you felt.

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

Somebody didn't do there research before buying

9. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Because he, like so many others, didn't do the research before he purchased.

To his credit, he didn't use "...gate" and he didn't use "first world problems".

10. enderg macrumors member

the Apple weather won't become useful until…

Until mine gets delivered!

11. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

That's a strange question. What did many do when a new iPhone came out? Technology advances, and at some point it advances to a point that we will make a new investment and get a newer product. It's very common.

We're happy what we have today and fully intend to upgrade at some point in the future.

What is so hard about that for you to understand?

12. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Until it gets to me. :(

13. Processing June macrumors newbie

What does that even mean? There may be a time in the far distant future for the Apple Watch is capable of being an entire iPhone, but that is not anytime in the near future.

The Apple Watch makes sense as an extension of your iPhone, it will never be a replacement for it

14. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

15. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

16. IndomitableBana macrumors member

I know a watch that can be used fully independent of the phone sounds great, but do you really want to buy a separate contract and data plan for your watch? And take a hit on the battery life to boot. The watch being a peripheral to the phone has its limitations, but it also has huge practical advantages.

I honestly don't see Apple making the change unless a different brand of smartwatch with the feature suddenly takes off. Even then I don't know if I'd buy one.

17. ventmore macrumors 6502

If Apple made it...you'd buy it! ;)

18. Processing June macrumors newbie

The  WATCH is a feat of engineering as it is...its a whole other ballgame to expect it to be independent with its own WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. etc. etc.

And what...are you going to have the watch and iPhone not talk to each other, and instead act like independent devices like the iPhone/iPad do today?

Sounds like a terrible user experience.

19. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I disagree. Having used it for only a few days it is already justified its existence by removing the need to pull the iPhone out every 2 minutes to check messages, emails etc. it compliments the iPhone.

20. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

While I can see that useful, I don't think that's a deal breaker at this point and was not it's original intent. It's meant to be part of your iPhone experience not to replace it.

Perhaps in the future that will be the case, then maybe the watch will be for you.

21. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't need to be separate data plans. Lets say you leave your phone at home on accident and need to forward your calls, texts and emails that come to your phone on to your watch and you could do so by activating a forwarding feature on your watch. We live in 2015, Im sure the technology exists to do this.

22. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Yeah we believe all of this

23. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

There are lots of benifits to using the AW for most people. Also you can use the fitnes features and play music without having the phone. And you gave it two days to learn about all its functions and what it's cable of doing. A lot of people on here is learning something new about there's everyday. And next time do your research before u buy a device like the AW. Because u had months to do that before u bought it.

24. jjlannoo Suspended

no... no thanks to yet another phone bill, i would be cool with it as a option tho like the iPad has.

25. lchlch macrumors 6502a

To be fair, as a watch it is completely independent :rolleyes: