The application $application cannot be launched, -600...?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by janey, Jun 23, 2008.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

Every day or so I end up with a couple of apps that won't launch (or rather, won't quit), citing something like...
    [​IMG]
    ..when trying to relaunch the app, requiring a restart to be able to use the app again (with no issues). Mac mini intel core duo, 1.6ghz, 2gb ram, latest Leopard, all that.

iTunes is actually not the only app that does this, afaik so far the list's included Finder, Disk Utility, Terminal, Xcode, Colloquy, Adium, NetNewsWire, Instruments.app, Transmit, Safari...you get the idea.

The other day I actually ps'd it (in terminal) and it said that the application in question was trying to quit, so I stupidly kill -9'd the ppid thinking that would work, which for that app happened to be launchd, which was pretty stupid on my part (to be fair, i thought launchd was pid 1, i didn't know there was going to be more than one launchd process - i killed the one for my user). So it seems the app won't quit, and I haven't found a way around that.

I thought this was a hard drive issue..and subsequently discovered that the internal drive on my mac mini was failing (yay for SMART status) and I thought that was why these problems were happening. But even after a new hard drive, no such luck. I googled around and found http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=498969 on these forums, checked the ram, no problems there. Apple Hardware Test, no problems there.

Unfortunately http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307001 was one of the other google results, and I wouldn't touch ContentBarrier with a ten foot pole, so that's not the problem...

I've already reinstalled Leopard about three times now, permissions check, fsck..it's getting pretty annoying now.

I'm out of ideas. :( Heeeellllpp!

edit: Also for what it's worth, it's been running Tiger with no such issues until I came back home from WWDC and I installed Leopard. The problems seemed to start happening after having installed Leopard for the first time on this machine..

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've just started to have this happen on my MacBook (the one in my sig).

I open something, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

If the program (iTunes seems to be a favourite) crashes, it effectively brings down the entire system as most subsequent program launches will fail in the same manner.

Right now, Finder wont start, iTunes and Activity Monitor wont close or open properly and the computer will only turn off if I hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Safari is fine because I leave it open all the time.

I've not installed anything since it started other than Apple's updates, but I can't really say I noticed exactly when it started.

All of the crash reports that come up say that launchd is to blame.

The console also comes up with:

Aug 18 23:29:48 davids-macbook com.apple.launchd[93] ([0x0-0x3d03d].com.apple.finder[308]): Exited: Terminated

In fact, I think I do remember when it started.

During the MobileMe transition, iDisk went down for a while and I clicked on iDisk in the Finder and it triggered the issue (apps not opening properly).

From today, the log shows:

"Aug 18 23:29:23 davids-macbook webdavfs_agent[253]: WebDAV server is no longer responding, will keep retrying...
    Aug 18 23:29:23 davids-macbook webdavfs_agent[253]: stream_error: Posix error 60
    Aug 18 23:29:23 davids-macbook /usr/sbin/spindump[955]: process 952 is being monitored
    Aug 18 23:29:23 davids-macbook webdavfs_agent[253]: WebDAV server is now responding normally"

That suggests that it's not happy when the WebDav server (iDisk) goes down. Could there be an issue with iDisk?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to reinstall/fix launchd? I don't want to have to reinstall Mac OS X if I don't have to.

3. JedSezZed macrumors newbie

It's happening to me too. It started a couple of days ago. Normally I can open one or two apps just fine and then "The application "Whatever" cannot be launched." -10810

I found this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307001 which refers to you're problem but doesn't seem to help me since we have different codes. -600 vs -10810

4. JedSezZed macrumors newbie

error 10810

Well I seem to have resolved my Error -10810 problem. A 10810 error is 'too many processes' to open a new one. It usually seems to be an inordinate number of 'child' processes from one service or another. I wasn't able to see it in "Activity Monitor" (If you hurry you can sometimes turn it on before the Error and see the child processes). But reading the posts it comes down to four possible things.

1. Samba (too many child processes)
    2. Microsoft Intellipoint Driver Software (low batteries)
    3. LaunchServices
    4. Virex

... and roughly in that order judging by the posts I've read all over the web. I turned off Samba three days ago and it's been fine.

Good luck.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Thanks for posting.

I think I'm gonna cut my losses and Reformat. I was thinking about doing it anyway.

Thanks

Dave

6. JedSezZed macrumors newbie

"...I turned off Samba three days ago and it's been fine." Until today. It came back

This time I was able to restart and launch "Activity Monitor". Coconut WiFi spawned HUNDREDS of threads and it kept going until Coconut started "Not Responding" and then I got the 10810 fail again.

It's gone.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Ok, now I'm really confused.

I just reinstalled Mac OS X (which was a huge pain) and it just happened again.

At the point where I'd say I have recovered 90% of my files and settings.

I really don't know what to do.

I don't want to have to send it in for repair.

Update: As a last ditch effort to solve this at home, I opened up the computer to re-seat the RAM.

The shocking thing I found was that the bottom of one memory slot is totally wrecked. It's like somebody melted it and twisted the metal around.

I don't know if it's causing my problems, but I can only fit one memory module in now.

8. JedSezZed macrumors newbie

I'd almost look at that as good news. I'd be off to the Apple store for a new box.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I wish.

I don't live near an Apple Store, so I had to call Applecare and they're gonna pick it up.

10. ruralvoice macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new iMac (intel Core Duo) with OS 10.5.5 and installed the beta version 3 of Coconut Wifi. To cofirm what an obserber above noted. It steadily usurpts more and more threads until all resources are used up, and then you get the error messages and cannot open further applications. Removing Coconut Wifi resolves the issue (version 2 did not have this problem; however, I cannot keep it activated (it starts up and shuts down on my iMac AND my MacBook Pro.

11. mr.qib macrumors newbie

The application "" cannot be launched -10810

For some reason this message keeps appearing, and ever-time it does, i cant launch any application, cant use my keyboard shortcuts. The only way to get rid of it is to restart my computer

I tried finding something regarding this issue, but couldn't come up with anything.

Would really appreciate some help

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      986.5 KB
      Views: