The application cancelled the restart

SuperSpiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Certain applications, if they are running when I attempt to restart the computer present the following message

"*application name* has prevented the restart" <---- is not the exact message but its something close to that.

If I attempt another restart (after clearing the above message) it restarts the mac as expected.

I shouldn't have to tell my computer to restart twice. I already have to tell my kids things (at least) twice before they listen to me... I don't need it from my computer too :)

Any ideas how to bypass or prevent this annoying message?

Thanks.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
quit all running applications before trying to turn your computer off?

Sometimes you get that message and it's a rogue process that just won't die. When that's the case go into the activity monitor to kill it there, or use the terminal.

SuperSpiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I tend to run a lot of small utilities. Closing them all one by one before rebooting or shut down seems kinda tedious.

I know which apps cause the message to occur and I could just not be lazy and manually close those before I do a reboot but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that.

It's just annoying and at this point I'm probably just whining.

Thanks.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Sometimes you get that message and it's a rogue process that just won't die. When that's the case go into the activity monitor to kill it there, or use the terminal.
Wonder if that will kill a true zombie process? When I worked in *NIX the only way to get rid of a zombie was to force reboot.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Wonder if that will kill a true zombie process? When I worked in *NIX the only way to get rid of a zombie was to force reboot.
well there's that too. Sometimes I'll have a process that starts to mess up all my applications to the point that I can't launch the activity monitor OR the terminal, so I have to force reboot.

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Look at it this way..

If I am running handbrake or transmission I do not want those programs to be force quit by the os for a reboot. I could lose my data and that is not really desirable. I am not very tolerant of software being pushy or stubborn and not doing what I want either. If a program by design is exhibiting this behavior without a good reason then its off my system. As an example when real player first came out I thought it was a decent program but when later versions wrote itself every where and auto launched and made itself almost impossible to remove (on a windows machine) I stopped using it.