The Apprentice (UK): National Singles' Day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nineteentwelve, Apr 30, 2008.

1. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

For those that watch The Apprentice in the UK, I need a bit of reassurance on my grammar.

With reference to tonight's episode, I'm almost certain that there should not and apostrophe after the word Singles in the phrase National Singles Day. Right? Right?! *Wipes sweat from forehead*

If I am correct, how could major retailers (especially Celebrations) make the mistake of purchasing large quantities of these greeting cards with grammatical mistakes on?

2. calculus Guest

calculus

'Singles' in this case is, ironically, plural. So, yes the apostrophe after the final s is correct as it shows that the singles own the day.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

'Singles' refers to a group, it's their day so an apostrophe to denote their possession of it would be correct in this instance.

EDIT: Yeah, what he says. :)

4. nineteentwelve thread starter macrumors regular

Damn. Oh well, I've learnt something new today. :eek:

Thanks guys!

5. Lau Guest

Still not convinced that the retailers should have bought a shedload of the cards though, just not for that reason. ;)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What's important is that another useless gimp got sacked.

7. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Does anyone else agree that the quality of contestants has gone down since The Apprentice UK started four years ago? This lot are scarily incompetent and appear ready to turn on each other at the drop of a hat...

I suppose the sad truth is that *real* young entrepreneurs who are capable of earning a six-figure salary are already out there doing it, instead of getting a leg up via a reality TV show.

That said, I'll keep watching - it's the watercooler show for my office - and it's quite stress relieving to see these idiots tearing lumps out of each other each week! :D

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I loved the way they had a massive shouting match at the end. That'll bring them together as teams for the next task! Muppets

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From the get go I said singles' just going off my old name plaque for my room said "James' room". A levels and university later and still that was the first thing that came to mind.

But what an episode! I thought neither team sold cards, they had some real fun editing that episode.

And yea the contestants are definitely getting worse. It's becoming more entertaining but I worry about the quality of the "winner" and how they perform in the job.

10. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

That guy who got sacked today might as well got on his hands and knees and sucked Sir Allen's balls, he was so bad then he tried to talk his way out of it pathetically

but still gotta love that program

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Now that would be television...

12. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

you would honestly like to see a 23 yr old suck a 60 yr old mans testicles :p

13. nineteentwelve thread starter macrumors regular

People have to get their kicks somehow. :rolleyes:

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think this group of 'candidates' are brilliant just for their sheer incompetence! Makes for great television.

I like the guy (of course I cannot remember his name) that never seems to be able to get a close shave.

15. nineteentwelve thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I think his name is Alex. You mean the 'cheek' revealing, kilt wearing one that never seems to do much else apart from try to look good?

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No, he's a bit of a tosser (aren't they all?) I meant this guy... though Alex can't shave worth a crap either. And you're right, he doesn't do much else but try to look all stylish n junk.

I thought the kilt guy was a model, not a contestant. (funny idea though, but maybe I just liked seeing a bit of arse) :D

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The one on the card was, but if you watch the "You're Fired" show towards the end you can see Alex doing the same thing (why I have no idea). It's on iPlayer...

18. nineteentwelve thread starter macrumors regular

Oooh... the Jimmy Nail look-a-like! Now why didn't you say that in the first place! :p

19. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

I have no idea how half of those people got in to that show, they seem all really unintelligent and all are really really high up there own asses still funny tuff to watch

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I watched it this morning of iPlayer. Kevin was shocking and Jenny literally has to go soon as she is just awful. Claire's voice gahhh

Raef for the win. Massive legend

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Let's be under no illusions – they're there for entertainment value only.

As CortexRock rightly says, this country's brightest young business talent (as this lot of reality show contestants are touted as being) are out there now building their own business empires – they want to make their own fortunes and have no interest in entering a glorified competition where the ultimate prize is to go and work for someone else.