The Army has a car in NASCAR?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by majordude, Oct 13, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Okay. I'm from the South but I just don't get NASCAR. That said, it is the only thing on tonight...

I'm watching it and notice that the Army has a car!

The other cars are Lite, Home Depot, M&Ms, AT&T, Sprint... BIG companies... so it takes MONEY to play this game.

The government isn't a company so all of their money is OUR money. They stole it from us and are using it for SPORTS?

WTF? :mad:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

even though they deny it, the ARMY is likely having recruitment shortcomings.

Perhaps all them southern boys will enlist should the ARMY car win Daytona.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Was it a Hummer?

The Army has a marketing budget, just like many other governmental departments. If they choose to spend it on NASCAR, then that says a lot about the sort of person they're targeting. Excuse the pun.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't see the problem with doing that. The prime targeting group for the military is young males. That's why you see commercials during sporting events and not during Murder She Wrote reruns. Sponsor a winner (or at least popular driver) and you'll see your logo plastered everywhere. Look at Tony Stewart and THD, Dale Jr and Bud, Jeff Gordon and DuPont. Add in the constant discussion of the vehicle as the "Army car" and you have even more exposure. With the massive growth of NASCAR throughout the country, white southerners aren't your only targets. Why are open-cockpit drivers moving? Money, exposure, and growth.

The cost of sponsorship isn't something that will be approved on a whim. You have a choice - either a military that has to recruit massive employees beyond most any other business or a military that drafts. The latter doesn't need to advertise, the former does.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (HTC_P4350 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

Its just more propaganda....

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Between Israel and Egypt we give over 9 BILLION dollars in aid per year (most of which goes to military hardware) and you guys are worried about some Army - sponsored race car? Sheesh. It's barely even pocket change by comparison.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1) Since when do taxes = stealing?
    2) What company is "Lite"? Miller Lite?

Uh, right.

Also, the Army has been sponsoring an NHRA Top Fuel car (last time I saw, Tony Schumacher was driving. Damn Schumachers are everywhere!) for quite a few years now.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Also, the Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard, and Coast Guard all sponsor NASCAR teams. NASCAR has one of the largest loyal fan bases in the world. Most are conservative, and support our armed forces. It's been a highly successful promotion for all involved.

Yes