The Asus Eee PC goes 9"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by timmillwood, Mar 4, 2008.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Asus have announced and update to their Eee PC, it will feature a 9" screen, 1GB ram and 12GB SSD.

The 9" screen as a fairly good resolution of 1024x600.

http://www.foocity.co.uk

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I would definitely consider upgrade, IF the price can be controlled. Right now, $600.00 just won't cut it for me.

3. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like a nice second generation product. Going from about £220 to 300 probably means the US version would slot in at $500-550.... 12GB is a fairly nice size for the SSD

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Screen size is pretty good for an ultracompact - but with the build quality and feel of the existing eee, not something I'd be caught with outside.

I'm holding out for Sony to do a driveless compact TZ.

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I love the look of the new eee, it's something I'll consider next (academic) year definitely.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have the current Eee and would love the higher res screen but $600 is far too steep. The size is great but the cost is the main attraction (for me anyway) so getting it up in normal laptop prices is iffy. I would love the bigger screen with the 4gb HDD since SDHC card so so damn cheap for additional storage.

9. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

The nice thing about the Eee is the price, yes I would rather a Sony TZ but it will easily cost 4x the price.

And I dont understand why everyone is saying $600 is a lot of money, show me another 9" computer for that price?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, sounds great. However, it's getting larger and larger. If they're going to do that, they may as well also upgrade the 7" version to a 12 GB SSD, which should be a cheaper version of the 9".

It would give another option. After all, the 2 attractive things about this machine is price and size. If you're going to make a larger version, don't forget why some people buy these systems, namely, the ultra small size.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You have to see them to understand... the 9" model that's floating around is larger, but only extremely slightly -- it seems to be just a few millimeters (1cm or less) deeper, and about the same width as my 701. The 7" model has a huge bezel around the screen. It doesn't sound like it would weigh significantly more either.

[​IMG]

12. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Hehe, sounds fun. :D